Best Ammo 4 40 cal?

This is a discussion on Best Ammo 4 40 cal? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What would you use in the Beretta Px4Storm 40 cal. as the best defense load for this handgun? Your input is welcomed. Thanks to everyone ...

Thread: Best Ammo 4 40 cal?

Best Ammo 4 40 cal?

What would you use in the Beretta Px4Storm 40 cal. as the best defense load for this handgun? Your input is welcomed.
    Thanks to everyone who chimes in!

2. Remove Ads

Any of the loads listed here: http://www.tacticalforums.com/cgi-bi...;f=78;t=000964 but my current choice is Winchester Ranger 180gr RA40T.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    There is "NO" best load for self defense for any caliber. Choosing a self defense load for any gun is a series of compromises and comparesents by the individual, in that individual's own gun, using that gun and that gun with the same serial number.

Every individual has certain reason's why he chooses a particular load.

Most important reason is: Does it go BANG when you pull the trigger.

The next thing is probably can you hit what your shooting at with that load. (this requires you shooting the load to see if you can control it) Thats why "I" personally went back to a HST in my G23. I found (I rob99vmi04) could control that better, and get back on target faster with it. I shoot off the reset with my tupperwear GlOCKs so shot dispersion for me is critical. Now my other .40s eat different loads and behave differently.

Looking at gel test is good to an extent, but just realize, gel tests are FROZEN pictures in time, that took place over an entire span of about .002 of a second. I know a picture says a thousand words but what they don't show you is felt recoil, accuracy, and reliability. The only way to find those out is shoot it yourself.

Recap: My vote

most important thing: Reliability in not my gun, but YOUR gun
    2 is accuracy: Can I take the Gun, ammo, sights, combination, and dispite all the variables like, recoil, and muzzle flash hit what I'm shooting at.

One of the best examples I can think of is going from a full size to a compact.

I have most of the full line GLOCKS in 9mm and .40. I love having the same frame on the guns so I don't have to switch holsters alot when I switch guns. However, I do switch loads.
    I'll use 9mm as an example:
    I personally see no reason for shooting a +P load in a G26 (subcompact) its not helping you really at all infact its probably more of hinderance. With a barrel length that small on a handgun that big muzzle flash is alot of unburnt (green powder) Your probably nowhere near the velocity of the cartridge that it was designed to perform at. However, what you are getting is 2x the recoil; therfore, I don't shoot hot loads in sub-compacts. Also, having a sub-compact, I'm really going to have to put the bullet where I need it, this reflects heavily back on accuracy. Now going to a G17 or even a G19 I shoot something with a little more of a umph, I can control it and I'm getting better potential with that load then I would out of a sub-compact.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Very well put Rob. I couldnt agree more.
    "Like a muddied spring or polluted well is a righteous man who gives way to the wicked." -Proverbs 25:26

"If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed..." -Exodus 22:2

What rob said also applies if the need ever arises to change barrels. I have shot out one barrel in my lifetime, and once replaced, the same load that I had been shooting gave me broad side of a battleship groupings where it had given me 1" groups at 50yds previously.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

look for what i think they are called marshal and ranger rounds. aka black talons. i see them all the time at gun shows
    i dont think they can legally call them black talons anymore. i picked up 50 for about $25
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."

As a 40cal fan, I like Corbon DPX, RA-40T, DT 165+gr.
    For range work I favor Fiocchi, MP5 loves this ammo too.

I carry the winchester ranger 180 and 165 SXT in my PX4 (and my Glock and my H&K). The 180 grain is a little tamer in my mind. The PX4 just eats up recoil.

I also load the ranger sxt 124 +p in my Glock 19 and my wife's Glock 19.

I think any of the major brand JHPs would work well. But as was mentioned earlier, make sure the round performs well in YOUR gun with you on the trigger.

Thanks 4 the posts!
    I think Rob said it Best but all of them paint a picture. It's your gun and it's better 2 work it out 4 yourself:).

It's not that simple in my mind. Having a certain JHP run in my guns is one thing, but whether or not the JHP will perform is another. That's why it matters what you carry. Some may not expand reliably, not may not penetrate deeply, etc.

Just like stated in every "what is the best" post, whatever cycles reliably in your gun and is to you liking is the best... as long as it isnt hardball, I dont care what anyone says it'll overpenetrate. I personally like corbon pow'rball ammo and pmc starfire for my .40

DRT
    Any premium defense load that's NOT bonded would be a good choice. HST and Ranger T are best.

Quote Originally Posted by DRT View Post
    Any premium defense load that's NOT bonded would be a good choice. HST and Ranger T are best.
    What's wrong with bonded?

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Mine likes the Rangers and the Mag Tech Guardian Gold. Though it eats everythign without a hitch, those two seem to deliver wth accuracy and tenacity. The bottom line is whatever works flawlessly in your gun, delivers the most terminal energy and opens as advertised is the best one for YOU. Don't carry anything until you have thoroughly tested it in YOUR gun. It's your life!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Lots of good advise so far. I use 180 grain Ranger-T. These have a good track record and work reliably in my Glock 22. Stick with the major brands and as long as they feed without problems your good to go.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Links