Walmart Ammo Increase

This is a discussion on Walmart Ammo Increase within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just bought a "100 Round Value Pack" of 9mm Winchester at Wally World - $15.72!!! I swear it was only $11.99 just a month ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walmart Ammo Increase

Walmart Ammo Increase

I just bought a "100 Round Value Pack" of 9mm Winchester at Wally World - $15.72!!! I swear it was only $11.99 just a month ago! I looked at the other Winchester white box bulk boxes and I think the 40 S&W was $25 and the 45ACp was $30.
    Good lord - soon ammo costs will stop my guns from being a fun hobby to being relegated to "useful tool" status - only used when needed.

2. Remove Ads

Just wait till the "anti everything" crowd manages to get done to ammunition what was done to tobacco products.

Yeah, it ain't cheap, but check the price of a movie or bowling or green fees. Nothing is as cheap as it was. Shooting is still one of the least expensive forms of recreation.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Assistant Administrator
    $15.72! ..... no wonder I am starting to resume reloads on lil' ol' 9mm!!

Last box I bought of the WWB 9mm was IIRC not even ten bucks.

Reloading .45acp too - again IIRC I used to pay just under twenty bucks for box of that. This reflects right now pretty much a 50% increase - ouch!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

$16 for 100 is terrible but could be worse. everything that i see is $10 per 50. exept the really crappy stuff wich is MAYBE 8 per 50.
    it sucks but its still cheeper
    not any better online after shipping too.
    im checkin out the gun show tmrw. hopefully i find somethin. if not. its off to wally world for me.

Walmart is still the cheapest place that I know of to get ammo. At the range/gun shop I pay between $14-17 for 45ACP and $10-12 for 9MM.

At walmart I can get the same box of ACP for under 12 bux. I don't buy the WWB anymore, becuase they want 28 bux. I just buy two boxes of the CCI blazer.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    $15.72! ..... no wonder I am starting to resume reloads on lil' ol' 9mm!!

Last box I bought of the WWB 9mm was IIRC not even ten bucks.

Reloading .45acp too - again IIRC I used to pay just under twenty bucks for box of that. This reflects right now pretty much a 50% increase - ouch!

ARRGG! How about some reloading classes Chris? I really need to get onboard with the reloading thing.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

I went looking today for 1000 rounds of 45 for a couple of classes at the end of the month. I was told by two different stores, in different areas of the mid state that all ammo is going to go up 25% Sept 1 due to the increased cost of lead and copper, petrochemicals used for gunpowder and the fuel cost incurred by delivery
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

VIP Member
    I just got back from a Wally World ammo run.
    Winchester White Box 100 round value packs:

.45 ACP: $28.98
    .40 S&W: $21.88
    .38 Special: $25.47

Ouch!...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Just paid$ 43.00 for a 250 ct box of UMC 9mm at Bi Mart...bout 8.60 a box ....then paid the 15.72 over at walmart for wwb 9mm 100 ct.box!!

The ammunition woes are being driven by demand from the US military and Law enforcement supply problems. I read about this a few months ago, and since we are fighting a war on terror, the military is rapidly depleting their surplus stocks of ammunition, especially 9mm, 5.56mm .45ACP & .308 ammo. From what I understand, ammunition contractors are being stretched to the limit, with the balance being supplied through civilian contracts. These problems should continue through next year.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

VIP Member
    Ammo's gone through the roof in the last 4-5 years. I just got my last shipment of 7.62 russian for $170+ out of Sportsmanguide. I bough my first batch of 1K out of the same outfit 3.5 years ago for $79! It is still cheaper than reloading for it but darn!

As for 9mm, it is to the point that is cheaper to reload than buying IMHO. Thank God I collected all the 9mm brass i could lay my hands on and I am the proud owner of about 10K in cases. Now I am officially scrounging for 38 special and 357 mag. And I see myself casting my own bullets soon if things keep going like this.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

TA,

The prices you quoted are to the penny a match to my own local WalMart which out of the blue has suddenly completely restocked their shelves with everything across the board.
    For six months on it was dry and they had hardly anything not even .22LR bulk packs. Now as of last week they have 30-06, multiple flavors of .17 HMR and even .17M2 (!) as well as all variants of pistol grade ammo from .38 to .45. I was stunned.
    Last week I bought up four 100 rd. boxes of WWB in .45 ACP and a 550 rd. box of Federal .22LR FMJ. That cost me $130 (!!!).

I was in the same store yesterday checking supplies and found more of the same with another four boxes of 100rd. WWB in .45 ACP FMJ on the shelf. I'll be by there tomorrow to buy out that stock again and to pickup maybe two more boxes of .22LR (WWB JHP and Federal 'Match Grade' target ammo).

Definitely prices have _sky rocketed_ across the board relative to last summer which even then was expensive (never mind ~5 yrs. ago when .45 ACP ran $9.98 for a 100rd box of WWB FMJ) but I figure it's a lot cheaper than it could be and might be down the road.
    Thus for now I make like a squirrel and cache as much ammo as I can secure in anticipation of a long, cold, and painfully expensive winter. :(

In fact tonight over dinner I saw an ad in the paper toward my local Ace True Value Hardware store that mentioned they have a lockable plastic trunk on sale for $13 oriented toward returning college kids. My first thought upon seeing it was hey that'll be perfect to store ammo in as my two current storage boxes are literally at capacity.

As much as I do not like WalMart they are the only game in my county unless one wants to pay high way robbery rates for same at the few local gun shops or buy crap Ultramax reload ammo from Dick's.

- Janq has now started to collect .45 ACP and 9MM brass in preparation for the inevitable
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Assistant Administrator
    How about some reloading classes Chris? I really need to get onboard with the reloading thing.
    Eric - if you were nearer I would be happy to do just that. However, if you get some books which have been referred to and accumulate brass, and some basic gear - it would not be too onerous.

Best thing is for folks starting - if they have a very specific question, beyond book info - post it here and one of us will help.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by vashooter View Post
    I just bought a "100 Round Value Pack" of 9mm Winchester at Wally World - $15.72!!! I swear it was only $11.99 just a month ago! I looked at the other Winchester white box bulk boxes and I think the 40 S&W was $25 and the 45ACp was $30.
    Good lord - soon ammo costs will stop my guns from being a fun hobby to being relegated to "useful tool" status - only used when needed.
    Check out ammo prices in the city of Chicago. My GAWD - you wouldn't believe the "sin tax" on ammo. It's outrageous. They couldn't make it illegal, so they tax it into unaffordable. it's something like $.15 - $.25 per ROUND.

cw

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links