Anyone tried Taurus' new 185+P Copper?

This is a discussion on Anyone tried Taurus' new 185+P Copper? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It looks like the new 185+P .45ACP offered by Taurus performs like the Barnes Triple Shock hunting bullet. BVarnes expands into four petals and Taurus ...

Thread: Anyone tried Taurus' new 185+P Copper?

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar

It looks like the new 185+P .45ACP offered by Taurus performs like the Barnes Triple Shock hunting bullet. BVarnes expands into four petals and Taurus expands into six. Has anyone tried it? Anyone got any stats on its performance? I currently carry Mag Tech 185+P (muzzle energy 540 ft. lbs.) in my full-size 1911.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

I liked the "idea" of an all-copper bullet, it's just way too expensive to justfity carrying, much less practicing with. I'll stick with Federal's HST +P 230gr which expands to greater-than-a-quarter-sized:

http://www.btfh.net/shoot/bullet-test-6.html

Also, some gun-nut:
    Quote Originally Posted by taurus
    Firearm: Colt Government
    Barrel Length: 5.0"
    Caliber: .45 ACP
    Bullet Diameter: 0.451"
    Bullet Weight: 185 grains
    Make: Taurus JHP Copper
    Velocity: 963 FPS
    Recovered Bullet Diameter: 0.856"
    Recovered Bullet Weight: 185.0 grains
    Distance From Muzzle: 20'
    Quote Originally Posted by federal hst +p 230gr

Firearm: Colt Government
    Barrel Length: 5.0"
    Caliber: .45 ACP
    Bullet Diameter: 0.451"
    Bullet Weight: 230 grains
    Make: Federal JHP P45HST1
    Velocity: 985 FPS
    Recovered Bullet Diameter: 0.987"
    Recovered Bullet Weight: 230.8(?) grains
    Distance From Muzzle: 20'
    http://stevespages.com/page8f45acp.html

I like the HST +P's the best of any round I've ever tried.

VIP Member

I'm fairly sure

that they are the same as CorBon DPX+P. I used this round in a 45 to hunt boar and I can tell you that CorBon splits into 6 petals also. Corbon uses Barnes bullet so I'm not so sure which Barnes splits into 4 petals. I think this is a great round and carry it in my 45 at all times.

Forgive my noobiness, but what is the advantage to an all copper bullet? As opposed to something like a Hydra-shok. Isn't lead softer and wouldn't it expand more?

The advantage is retained weight. This is more of a factor in hunting (rifle), but the concept remains the same for handguns. When a bullet fragments, energy is lost inside the target. So the advertised energy is artificially inflated. That's why Barnes Triple Shock and Nosler Partition are premier hunting bullets and Sierra, Hornady, et al usually rank lower on hunting performance. The former retain over 95% of the original bullet weight and the latter lose up to 50% of the original bullet weight. Go to each of the aforementioned websites. The manufacturers recognize this. Barnes and Nosler brag about weight retention and Sierra and Hornady brag about accuracy. I maintain (through experience) you can have both through careful reloading!

Yes, dead is dead and there is nothing wrong with Hydra Shocks. I've used them and would stake my life on them. But if terminal performance is the goal, a bullet that retains the most of its original weight will deliver greater energy transfer in the target than one that fragments.
    Tim
    ________
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I've tried it and like; however a mil spec Thompson 1911 may not like it, though it is accurate. Shoots well in a revolver. I started a fire shooting into dead cedar and had to pour water on the smoldering wood.

That's what I am wondering....will it perform in my mil-spec 1911? So far I am lucky. My 1911 eats everything. I carry the Mag Tech 185+P with a printed muzzel energy of 540 ft. lbs. I wonder what the Taurus ammo does. It's about $14 for 20 rounds (less than the Mag Tech). I am just curious about its stats & performance.
    Tim
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Agreed Ben...IIRC the Taurus ammo is a branded version of the Barnes bullet ala Corbon 185 gr. DPX .45 +P.
    I too use this via Corbon as my carry ammo and yes it is expensive, but me and mine are worth it.

I've gone through three boxes of it just to get familiar and the fourth I've retained for carry purposes. For me I've foud it to be very accurate and functions 100% in both my commander length 1911 and Colt 'Defender' which are my two primary CCWs.

http://www.handgunsmag.com/ammunition/dpx_022305/

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/C...0.45%20ACP.htm

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/C...mmo%20test.htm

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    Janq that spent bullet looks just like the bullet that fell out of my boar while cleaning it. It fell out in the middle of the boar with 6 perfect petals. My hunting guides said that if they were not there to see it, they would of thought it was done by a machine. So in my opinion a 25 yard shot (about) with 12 to 13 inches of penetration and a perfect mushroom makes one-hell-ova round.

Yep...It is a one nasty round.
    The price is commensurate with it's capabilities and copper construction material.

Rated to penetrate glass, metal (door skins), heavy leather material, and retain 99%+ of it's weight and to always expand while not clogging up...like more conventional ammunition. Also the petals upon expansion are quite sharp which is excellent for stoppage in cutting or arteries and slicing through meat & softer than bone material as it spins & rotates through a given medium.

If it's good enough to stop a boar in the woods (others elsewhere have reported exact same as you toward boar and deer (!) too again in pistol calibers) then for me it's excellent toward the boors that roam the streets.

More first person reading & info toward the Corbon 'DPX'/Barnes bullet toward pistols...
    No conventional hollow-point ammunition was able to penetrate the car door. Some didn’t even make it through the first layer. None made it through the second layer.

On the other hand, DPX expanded uniformly, despite the denim, and easily penetrated the car door. This kind of consistently superior performance is the reason I carry DPX daily in my pistols. Velocities were as advertised, 1350 f/s for the 357SIG (from my SIG/229/DAK), 1200 f/s for the 40S&W (from a student’s G22), and 1050 f/s for the 45ACP (from my short-barreled Detonics).

DPX 223 53gr expanded perfectly when fired out of an eleven-inch barrel, penetrating fifteen inches of gelatin. The bullet looked exactly like the one I extracted from a pig I shot in FL last fall...Finally I fired seven rounds of 357SIG DPX through my SIG/229/DAK into a denim-clad, gelatin block. I fired as fast as I could stay on target, with all seven rounds launched within two seconds. I wanted to see if penetration depth would see wide variation, with the last rounds penetrating more deeply than the first. Not so! All seven round stopped within an inch of each other, after twelve inches of penetration. All seven expanded perfectly, despite the denim, and, when recovered, all seven were facing forward.

I conclude that any reputable, high-performance, hollow-point pistol ammunition will expand after entering bare flesh, but few expand consistently after first penetrating several layers of clothing, and none, save DPX, will reliably penetrate car doors...
    John Farnam - http://www.snubnose.info/wordpress/t...n-cor-bon-dpx/
    We tried choking DPX with everything we had available: drywall, multiple layers of fabric and leather, plywood, sheet steel, et al. DPX penetrated through-and-through and subsequently expanded symmetrically in gelatin on the other side in every case. Such intervening barriers invariably frustrated subsequent expansion with nearly all conventional, jacketed/lead, hollow-points.

Then, we got a door from a wrecked, 2001 Dodge Dakota. At the upper edge,a double-layer of sheet steel is folded back on itself in order to create a rigid perimeter for both the inner and exterior panel. The effect is four layers of sheet steel, a formidable barrier indeed!

We shot into it with every brand of conventional, lead HP we had on hand. A shallow dent was the best we could do. Conversely, DPX, from a G26 (9mm), G30 (45ACP), and a BHP (40S&W) and all went through-and-through, punching a nice, clean hole.

George and I just shook our heads. The stuff really works!...
    John Farnam - http://www.snubnose.info/wordpress/r...-bon-dpx-tests
    Cor-Bon DPX on auto glass:

"John, we're fresh form attending a two-day AVOPS (Armed Vehicle Operations) course in IN. During the final afternoon we were able to conduct testing on the windshield of a 1991 Lincoln sedan. We had been advised that, when shooting from inside a vehicle out, or outside a vehicle in, the windshield will cause the bullet to deviate up to six inches from the point of aim. This general rule held true with every high-performance pistol round we tried.

All but one, that is. Cor-Bon DPX stayed directly on target even after penetrating laminated, angled, windshield glass. There was NO deflection at all. There was also no disintegration of the bullet, as it passed through from either direction. Point of aim was point of impact, both ways!

Two calibers were tested: DPX 45ACP from a Glock 30, and the DPX 40S&W from
    a Beretta 96.

We have yet to find a downside to DPX!"

Comment: DPX is a stellar performer in a wide spectrum of circumstances.
    Hard to beat!

John Farnam - http://www.gunthorp.com/ammo%20basics.htm
    Results:

.45 ACP

185 grain .45ACP CorBon DPX shot from a 3.5" Detonics 1911 penetrated 14" of ballistic gelatin after passing through the 4 layers of denim material. Its 6 petals folded back perfectly. The same round successfully penetrated two layers of 16 gauge steel, collapsing inward and still penetrated 6-9" of the denim/gelatin.

230 grain .45ACP Gold Dot fired from a 4" G21 bounced off the first layer of steel, as did 230 grain FMJ fired from the 3.5" 1911.

.40 S&W

150 grain .40 S&W CorBon JHP shot from a G23 penetrated 14" of ballistic
    gelatin and denim, mushrooming perfectly.

140 grain .40 S&W CorBon DPX shot from a G23 penetrated 13" of ballistic gelatin and denim, its 6 petals folding back perfectly. The same round also easily penetrated the two layers of 16 gauge steel, then 6-9" into the denim and gelatin after its cavity also caved inward.

9mm

115 grain 9mm CorBon DPX performed as did its counterpart in .40 and .45 in both denim-covered gelatin and after penetrating two layers of steel.

My impressions are as follows:

The DPX round gives both excellent expansion and penetration in ballistic
    gelatin and also has a remarkable ability to penetrate obstacles that defeat other bullet styles such as bonded bullets (Gold Dot) and even FMJ Hardball.

The performance of the .45ACP DPX when shot from the short 3.5"barreled Detonics 1911 was nothing short of astonishing. This round has become my new carry round in this caliber.

DPX would also make an excellent carry round in .40 S&W and 9mm as well, although I am not in as much a rush to replace my CorBon 150 JHP .40 S&W just yet.

Given the penetration performance of DPX through layers of steel and the fact that Gold Dot and Hardball bounced off the first layer during the same test, we may have to reconsider our views to include a brainshot (skull) with this ammunition as penetration to the cranial vault is a distinct possibility.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbu...ead.php?t=3640
    - Janq has been carrying & shooting DPX for 3 yrs. now
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    Great postings Janq... I also use DPX in all my CCW's.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

+1 on DPX. It costs, but from all accounts it is a very effective round.

One personal observation I can add is just how tough a round this is. I had one bounce off a steel target and come back and hit me on the chin. The "petals" were spread but the round was in one piece. Talk about superior weight retention!

I only carry gold dots or Taurus "Hex bullets" (the 185grn) in my Taurus 1911

they work well!

WOW! Pretty compelling! I'm ready to buy some and make sure my 1911 (and .40, after reading these) can properly digest these morsels!
    Tim
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Where's the best deal on the DPX's?

Links