9mm...actual use - Page 3

9mm...actual use

This is a discussion on 9mm...actual use within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My agency issued 9mm for 32 yrs. Many of the improvements in ammo design were the result of my agency's research and work with some ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 9mm...actual use

My agency issued 9mm for 32 yrs. Many of the improvements in ammo design were the result of my agency's research and work with some of the ammo manufacturers. I investigated, supervised, or reviewed numerous shootings involving the 9mm over the years. It's a very effective rd and with the ammo we were carrying I never saw any failures which could be attributed to ammo. I also investigated numerous shootings involving other calibers, some of those I was there during the shootings. Doesn't matter the caliber for service weapons. They all require quality ammo and shot placement.

Senior Moderator
    I couldn't be armed because THEY had to enforce my dept policy even though my own bosses let me carry a 1911 on the job 'cuz I had some real bad boys.
    You've got to be KIDDING me!

Unarmed ? From what I've seen there is NO WAY I would deal with some of those dirt-bags unarmed. If thats not a setup for failure I don't know what is.

Our parole officers are mostly cute little woman and soft little boys.At least they can carry concealed, but none of them that I have seen have the "eye" and aren't much for talking control. It wouldn't take much to intimidate any of them and some of the hardcore repeaters like to do just that. I cant count the number of time that Deputy's have been asked to go with them to a residence "just in case".

The parole officers do have a high rate of turnover. For the peanuts that they get paid, they eventually realize that it just ain't worth dealing with that segment of society. As a result, a large percentage of them are always newbies.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    The lions share of my experience was in Vietnam, where you guessed it the .223 was the rule. It tended to be a nasty round because it tumbled so it could do a lot of damage to internal organs. Today I carry both .45 cal and 9 mm and I trust either one to get the job done. Physics and ballistics aside either round entering a persons body is going to hurt like hell. I've seen what everything from a 5.56 to a 50 cal can do to the human body and they're all deadly.

PS..Thanks for your post, I tend to sometimes get too comfortable living in the Burb's and forget there are potential and real BG's close by. Thank you for the job you do and the risk's you take on our behalf
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

VIP Member
    Intersting story

Senior Moderator
    Do you, or can you get, any information on bullet deformation and expansion?
    Sorry for the long response...I missed it.

Not really. The coroner report wont say much other than type of bullet,approx range, and number of entry/exit wounds and cause of death. By law, the body gets sent to the Med. Examiner in Little Rock for an autopsy and it usually takes at least a week to get the report.

They don't get into much detail about bullet expansion or anything. Since they all appeared to pass through, I'm not sure that there would be much to say about it anyway other than to mention some recovered fragments...maybe.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links