Ammo Legality in Arkansas

This is a discussion on Ammo Legality in Arkansas within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Greetings. This may have been beaten into the ground, but I did not find any results that were definite. I am assuming I will have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ammo Legality in Arkansas

Ammo Legality in Arkansas

Greetings. This may have been beaten into the ground, but I did not find any results that were definite. I am assuming I will have to call LE in my area, but thought I would ask here as well.

I currently have Federal HS 124gr loaded in 9mm for home defense. I was looking into the Federal HST load. I haven't gotten my license back from the state just yet, but as far as having this ammo as a defense round in general, what is the LE only factor of this round?

I have not seen it mentioned that it is LE only ammo, but some may know different. Thank you for you replies.

2. Remove Ads

I dont know about the legality part but I've made the HST my carry ammo in all my carry guns Period. I still stock Ranger T's and CorBon DPX, but the first mag is loaded with HST's
    Gun Control: What a long strange trip it's been

SA,

Check your state laws concerning hollowpoints....(I don't think AR has one)....You are completely legal. The 'LE Only' is just a Federal/ATK policy, not a law.

-Tim

okay.
    Why would they put that on the box? Also I wonder what the PA/DA would say?

Uh.. Jury, Mr. X clearly use a bullet deemed for LE. He is not a LEO.

Could this be a bit you in the butt situation?

I would think if it was actually law, then you would have to prove you were Law Enforcement before the merchant could sell to you. Just my 2 cents.
    Deliver us from the democratic party!

The "LEO Only" ammo is a manufacturer's policy, not law. It's because the ammo pressure exceeds SAAMI standards. Agencies who issue +P+ type ammo take the responsibility/liability for the excess pressure use in their guns. It's a liability thing for the manufacturers. If some gunwhiz buys LEO only ammo and tears up his gun the next thing he'll be doing is suing the ammo maker for making ammo that's too hot. Since it exceeds SAAMI specs it puts the maker at civil risk.
    It doesn't matter what kind of ammo you use in a shooting. No ammo regardless of make will turn a bad shooting into a good or a good shooting into a bad. People who have never been involved in the system constantly use that worn out phrase ".. Jury, Mr. X clearly use a bullet deemed for LE. He is not a LEO." Just isn't the case. Think about it. Using that reasoning a DA could also say "Why did you use a 12 ga instead of a .22? You were just intent on killing." That just doesn't happen. I've investigated, supervised, and reviewed numerous shootings during my LEO career. The type of ammo used was not an issue and never once changed a good shooting into a bad one. If a person needs to be shot then it doesn't matter what he's shot with. It's not the tool but the need for the action that's the point of the investigation.

Quote Originally Posted by *SA-XD4ME* View Post
    okay.
    Why would they put that on the box? Also I wonder what the PA/DA would say?

Uh.. Jury, Mr. X clearly use a bullet deemed for LE. He is not a LEO.

Could this be a bit you in the butt situation?
    ...or you can say, you wanted to use the same type of round used by law enforcement to defend themselves. It's not a magical round--just one deemed by the local PD to effectively stop a threat--and that is what you were doing--stopping a threat.

totally understand. thanks.

i mean hydra-shock or hst, they both expand to 1 1/2 + there original size.

Senior Moderator
    There are no ammo restricitions is Arkansas.

That is purely a Yankee issue.

"LEO only" ammo can be bought at any gunshow and in many gunshops around the state. I have even seen it on sale at Walmart...therfore anyone can buy it.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    There are no ammo restricitions is Arkansas.

That is purely a Yankee issue.

"LEO only" ammo can be bought at any gunshow and in many gunshops around the state. I have even seen it on sale at Walmart...therfore anyone can buy it.
    Yup... The one thing you won't find regulated in the Natural State is ammo. Now...if we could just get all those Yankees to quit voting and running for Prez....

HG, I do like the way you put that!

Michael
    XD9 Service, CZ-75B, Glock 21, Kel-Tec P3AT
    Rifles...yes...and shotguns....and
    "Unofficial Legislative Attache...er...Watchdog...er...Agitator."
    "Yes, I vote...but not for the candidate I prefer: None of the Above."

I know I'm late to the party, but I'll just chime in with "what they said". There are no ammo restrictions in this state. I love my XDs, by the way. Good choice!

Thanks everyone.

I ordered some to try out.

I have been trying different defense rounds. I can say that DPX is a no go. It sprays out of my gun. Federal Hydra-Shock is very, very accurate, and so are Rem Golden Sabers. Hornady XTP is coming in a close 2nd/3rd for accuracy out of my gun.

I also found some info on the +P rounds, and it mentioned that +P is good for 3" bbl and below. That for 4" and above the standard pressure will reach it max velocity for good expansion.
    +P is for the extra push that the 3" subby's need to get to max velocity. I guess this is just hear say, but it makes sense to me.

The "LE only" designation is really just

a marketing trick at best. There are some states like New Jersey, I think that ban the use of Hollowpoint ammunition (please correct me if I am wrong), but mostly I have been told by distributors that the designation is mainly for them so they can identify the ammunition for Law enforcement contract administration. I was also told that they clearly designate those boxes so they can see if distributors are selling the ammo in an unauthorized fashion, such as gun shows, etc.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by ispcapt View Post
    It doesn't matter what kind of ammo you use in a shooting. No ammo regardless of make will turn a bad shooting into a good or a good shooting into a bad. People who have never been involved in the system constantly use that worn out phrase ".. Jury, Mr. X clearly use a bullet deemed for LE. He is not a LEO." Just isn't the case. Think about it. Using that reasoning a DA could also say "Why did you use a 12 ga instead of a .22? You were just intent on killing." That just doesn't happen. I've investigated, supervised, and reviewed numerous shootings during my LEO career. The type of ammo used was not an issue and never once changed a good shooting into a bad one. If a person needs to be shot then it doesn't matter what he's shot with. It's not the tool but the need for the action that's the point of the investigation.
    I think Harold Fish would strongly disagree...because, "The firearms investigator said that Fish’s gun — a 10mm — is more powerful than what police officers use and is not typically used for personal protection. And the ammunition Fish used to shoot Kuenzli three times, called “a hollow-point bullet,” is made to expand when it enters the body.

When he decided to pull the trigger, the prosecutor said, Fish should have known what the consequences would be."
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    - Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by BushidoMarine View Post
    I think Harold Fish would strongly disagree"[/URL]
    Read the entire case of Harold Fish and not some internet clip posted by the defendant. You'll then find that the gun used was not what brought Mr Fish into the legal system. There were many questions concerning the justification for a legal shoot, not the gun used.
    "Prosecutor Michael Lessler: The case was about whether or not you can shoot an unarmed person, whether the circumstances in this case justified it."
    I've done literally hundreds of shooting investigations and again, no shooting every changed from good to bad due to the type of weapon used.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links