best defensive ammo for me?

This is a discussion on best defensive ammo for me? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; im wondering what everyone opinion on defensive ammo is. i dont just want to know what you use; i want to know what you think ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best defensive ammo for me?

best defensive ammo for me?

im wondering what everyone opinion on defensive ammo is. i dont just want to know what you use; i want to know what you think I should use.
    i have a kimber aegis (9mm 1911 3" barrel).
    What grain?
    +P or no +P?
    brand?
    i want to know the advantages and disadvantages of both.
    especially with a shorter barrel, i have heard that should make a differance in your ammo selection due to how fast the powder burns (i get quite a nice flash with my normal umc range ammo)
    so have at it. what should i carry?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Speer makes a 124 Gr +p Gold Dot specifically tailored for short barrels.

http://www.speer-ammo.com/products/short_brl.aspx

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

A short barrel 9mm is not the same as a short barrel .45.

I use Speer's short barrel loads in my snubby's and they work great and are very accurate i picked up a box for my XD sub compact but have not tested it yet, but I believe with Speer's reputation the results will be as always / a very good expanding round with decent penetration
    Gun Control: What a long strange trip it's been

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    I'm a fan of 147-grainers in 3" 9mms. Regardless of what you pick, you should shoot quite a few through your Aegis before you rely on them - 3" 1911s can be fussy.
    Shot-placement is king. Adequate penetration is queen. Everything else is angels dancing on the heads of pins.

Lead Moderator
    Seems a cartridge designed for short barrels might perform better for a short barreled gun.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

friesepferd: are you anywhere near SE Mi. ??? if you are PM me and I'll give you 3 or 4 different 9MM loads to try I dont shoot 9MM much anymore but still have a pretty good stock of different ammo for them. Speer GD's 124+P CorBon DPX 115 and Hornady Tap 124 off the top of my head.
    Gun Control: What a long strange trip it's been

I don't think you can do better than Corbon DPX 115 gr. +P
    Deep penetration and consistant expansion. The downside is that it's not that easy to find (I have always had to order it and pay shipping) and it's expensive!

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    i dont just want to know what you use; i want to know what you think I should use.
    i have a kimber aegis (9mm 1911 3" barrel).
    What grain?
    +P or no +P?
    brand?
    i want to know the advantages and disadvantages of both.
    I've got a CZ P01 9mm, with 3.9" barrel. My carry ammo is the DoubleTap JHP 124gr +P, with a secondary choice of Federal's Hydrashok Tactical JHP 124gr +P+. Both are stout loads. the FHT has a good ball of flame and smoke. The DT has significantly less, by comparison, but probably somewhere between 50-100% larger than the Remington/UMC 115gr ball rounds I use for the bulk of my range time. Neither of these two rounds is for everyone, given the higher kick and flame/smoke.

But I simply love the DT. It's amazingly smooth feeding, reliable and consistent. Yes, heavier kick, but it's nearly 500 ft-lbs of energy and fairly quick. Performed exceedingly well in some tests I did in the field, with a side of beef and other things. I'm able to handle the DT fairly well. Slowing down rapid strings a bit, it's still amazingly accurate. I don't think I'd want to carry anything else. And the Speer Gold Dot bullet that folks speak so highly off? The DoubleTaps are loaded with these.

Your rig has a barrel that's nearly 1" shorter than my carry unit. You might like either one of these. As others have suggested, the Winchester Ranger RA9TA 9mm 127gr +P+ is a great round, as well.

I'd recommend trying at least a box or two of each of these, to see how well it cycles in your specific gun. Assuming your gun is broken in fairly well, you should be able to do a decent comparison between them.

Now, higher-pressure rounds do take a toll. If your gun is built to take a lifetime diet of +P rounds, then there shouldn't be a worry. Speak with Kimber about the Aegis 9mm. I'm unfamiliar with how overbuilt they think it is. If you can't get a simple and clear answer from them, consider ratcheting down the performance a notch by selecting, say, the Federal HST, the Corbon PowrBall, or other decently-performing modern round.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I'd recommend buying a box of each of whatever you can find locally. Shoot them all and see if any of them cause a jam. They probably won't. Then see which one is easiest to control. This will be easy to tell. Then see which one shoots right where you're aiming. If there are multiples that meet all these things, then your choice will be based on price, packaging, or reports of performance. Chances are you'll end up with something just fine for you.

Austin

Pick a few of the brands stated above: Speer Gold Dots, Winchester Ranger, Hornady, etc. After some shooting, obviously, keep the ones that perform in your weapon without malfunctions or jams. Next, keep the most accurate with manageable recoil.

These are the steps I took when my finances permitted. Many people carry many different loads for their own reasons. Most will perform satisfactorily.

I carry Speer GD 124gr in my xD9 3". I dont feel that a BG is going to notice, no matter what drugs they're on, that the testing of my rounds was done with a 4" barrel, and my muzzle velocity is a little slower, from 7 to 10 feet. I also do not want any OVER PENETRATION.
    "Like a muddied spring or polluted well is a righteous man who gives way to the wicked." -Proverbs 25:26

"If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed..." -Exodus 22:2

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    Speed makes a 124 Gr +p Gold Dot specifically tailored for short barrels.

http://www.speer-ammo.com/products/short_brl.aspx

Matt
    I use the Speer Gold Dot 124 Gr. +P short barrel in my HK USPc. This would be a good choice for your Aegis with a 3" barrel.

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    .40 cal speer gold dot 4 me

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I go through mostly the Federal product line. Not because its my fave, but mostly because thats all the store sells I work at and get a really good discount on. However, between Fed HI-Shok, Fed Hydro-Shok, Fed Hydro-Shok HST, and Fed EFMJ, I can generally find something that works depending on the gun, and caliber. We also sometimes get Gold Dot in (mostly for .357 Sig for some really odd reason we never get 9mm), some Win Rangers, and SXT, but the way I look at it is since I can't guareentee that the flow of the GD, and Win stuff is going to be constant I have stuck with the FED.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

124gr Gold dots. I prefer standard pressure (Not +p) for short barrels.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links