How to make a 1911 not feed

This is a discussion on How to make a 1911 not feed within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been testing some different brands of Premium and Personal Protection hollow point ammo to check the reliability of it in my Springfield Armory ...

Thread: How to make a 1911 not feed

I have been testing some different brands of Premium and Personal Protection hollow point ammo to check the reliability of it in my Springfield Armory loaded .45. While testing, in addition to normal shooting I used some sloppy techniques to try and increase the chances of a jam or misfeed.
    Some items are "limp wristing" and a slow slingshot of the slide, not releasing it and following the slide into battery. Any other things you guys or ladies try while checking the function of ammo in your carry guns that needs to be 100%

not that pretty much covers it

Assistant Administrator
    I think it's also worth having a ''crap mag'' - one of those cheapie deals that will feed when it feels like it - slightly sticking follower perhaps. Means the odd FTF or stove pipe might occur when not expected - so good chance to deal with failure drill.

Also worth sacrificing a round or two by deliberately putting a small kink in brass near top - such as might occur from a slide slam on a misfeed - will it chamber - if so how much effort. if not - how to clear it.

Just small caveats I have thought of.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    Get the gun filthy. Load a magazine with several different brands of ammo that all are loaded to different performance levels. We call that a 'fruit salad' here.

I would never get a gun that dirty, and I try to use the same brand of fresh, clean ammo for my defense pistols.

But if a filthy pistol can load, fire and eject a bunch of loads that all recoil differently, I think you have a great pistol.

I've tried all sorts of experiments, trying to get my Bulgarian Makarov to malfunction. Getting it good and dirty with cheap Wolf ammo, limp-wristing, holding it at weird angles. Nothing works. It just refuses to NOT go bang.
    "Terrorists don't seem to be too afraid of stern language. But I do notice, that while the fear of death does not seem to deter these people, the fact of BEING dead does significantly decrease their operational effectiveness. "
    - Bill Whittle

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    I think it's also worth having a ''crap mag'' - one of those cheapie deals that will feed when it feels like it - slightly sticking follower perhaps. Means the odd FTF or stove pipe might occur when not expected - so good chance to deal with failure drill.
    Oh you mean use a PRO-MAG brand magazine? Biggest POS I ever saw!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Well one I ran into was a few rds that had the darn lead seated too darn deep in the case....that'll jam!
    "Endeavor To Persevere"
    Chief Dan George

yci
    I can manage to get one of mine to not feed SWCs if I don't have the gun lubed up enough. Running a tight gun a bit too dry can cause some feeding issues. Yes, I realize that's not a typical defense load and I don't use it for such

But otherwise, never had a problem feeding round-nose bullets unless it was something like folks have mentioned above.

For hollowpoints I've only ever run Golden Sabres. Chose them mainly because their profile resembles a round nose more than some of the other HP ammo. Never had a feeding issue with them that wasn't attributed to a bad magazine.

have a friend load up a mag with snap caps, that will give you both randomness and good training to practice clears.

~A
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

Quote Originally Posted by APachon
    have a friend load up a mag with snap caps, that will give you both randomness and good training to practice clears.

~A
    I agree it is the most clean way to implement a surprise in the shooting stream. It is also a safe way to not cause a jam but to have the shooter get interrupted at some unknown moment. I would do that once in a while when I shot at the range by inserting one or two snap caps, don't over do it or the exercise becomes a pain.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

The snap cap thing is great to do when at the range with friends.

My typical autoloader function test is simple. 1000 rnds in two hours (sometimes one when enough people help) no cleaning of mags or gun. It can be one hell of a first impression for a new gun.

Sponsored Links