Steel cased ammo in an AR?

This is a discussion on Steel cased ammo in an AR? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've heard that firing steel cased ammo out of an AR isn't suggested, but why? I recently came into possession of a large amount of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steel cased ammo in an AR?

I've heard that firing steel cased ammo out of an AR isn't suggested, but why? I recently came into possession of a large amount of steel cased (Wolf) .223. Obviously I don't want to hurt my AR in any way, so i was wondering if is was safe to fire the ammo through it. If so, is there any other special needs of steel cased ammo that i should be aware of.
    Thanks

If steel cased 223 hurts AR's significantly, then there are a whole ton of ruined AR's in the US because there is a TON of Wolf sold.
    I asked the smith at my local gun shop if shooting steel case would hurt an AR and he said not at all. The only thing that he's seen happen (he works on a LOT of AR's) is that very rarely an extractor will not hold up to a lot of steel cased ammo - but you can replace the stock extractor for a beefier one that will work great on either brass or steel. He said that most stock, non-match, version AR's have 5.56 chambers (not 223-there is a slight difference in tolerances) and are not tightly chambered so the steel case mouth will not wear the chamber. He did say that DPMS rifles (which I have one) are chambered a bit tighter than Bushy's, Armalites, RRA's, Olympics, etc. but for an average shooter any wear that takes place would not be noticeable. Now if you're shooting a match AR with a tight 223 chamber, then I wouldn't shoot it with steel case.
    Anyway- I've been waiting for my 500 rd order of Wolf 223 to come in from Cabela's for over 2 months now!

I have put 1000's of rounds thru my 3 AR's and not had any problems, maybe lucky maybe not but I have used a lot of Wolf ammo with no problems.
    Gun Control: What a long strange trip it's been

Lead Moderator
    No problems with Wolf ammo thru my AR's.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    No problems with Wolf ammo thru my AR's.
    Same thing here.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

it's terrible and will certainly ruin your AR...send it to me and I will dispose of it properly

...you're good to go

I had a minor problem with steels cased ammo in my AR. I loaded a mag with some silver bear I had bought for my mini-14. The first round out of that mag fired but the case lodged in the chamber preventing the bolt from unlocking. I had to "tap" on the charging handle with a rubber mallet to extract the spent case. The gun was not very dirty as I had only fired about 50 rounds of remmington umc without a hitch before that. Because of this I'm a little leery of steel cased ammo in my AR. The polymer coated wolf is probably fine and I will likely give it a try at some point in time. But silver bear or any other bear is off my list for use in the AR.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

JT
    No problems with Wolf. Check out ar15.com and you will find many people putting thousands of rounds of Wolf through ARs with no problems.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    Just remember that if you are a left handed shooter...steel holds heat longer than brass. I have the scars to prove it!
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I have a bushmaster and all I have shot in mine is wolf.I'll shoot what
    allows me to go to range more often.Like JT said ,check out AR15
    and see what the hardcore guys say over there.I'll bet it will run the gambit to some that will not use it period to most that have no problems.

Another bushy owner who has fired many, many rounds of Wolf steel cased ammo without any issues.

I've also been told that the extractor may fail. It hasn't yet, but I've saved enough shooting cheap ammo to buy a whole bunch of extractors... and it's an easy fix. If I need to replace it eventually, so be it!
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

I purchased a case of Wolf steel 223. Have shoot close to a 1,000 rounds so far. There is some older Wolf ammo that has a lacquer coating. This coating will cook inside your chamber. Then you will have to scrub hard with a chamber brush and your favorite CPL. The newer Wolf ammo uses no lacquer any more. Wolf is cheap and dirty. I find if I shoot one magazine I always clean my AR. When cleaning I always take the extractor pin out and inspect carefully because crud can build up there.
    To close for missiles, switching to guns.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    I had a stuck case a while back. I intend to use brass cased from now on.

This is obviously not typical, but it can happen. My upper is from model 1 sales, 5.56 chamber.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=26664
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

The previous postings that Daddy Warcrimes linked bring up a good point - the older Wolf ammo with the greenish lacquer on it does varnish up a chamber and bolt head and can cause stuck cases and is a pain to clean (Wolf powder burns dirty as it is). But the newer Wolf that is grey cases with their new coating doesn't have that problem at all. Plus, the steel used to make Wolf cases is a softer steel than any modern, American made AR chamber or barrel so it's not going to "scrape or gouge" a chamber.

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by Box of Truth
    Educational Zone #18 - Shooting Wolf steel-cased Ammo in an AR15

Today's Question: Does shooting Wolf ammo in an AR result in the "Lacquer" or "Poly" being deposited in the chamber, resulting in stuck cases?
    See the results here...

http://www.rockinchristmascds.com/docs/edu18.htm
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links