S&W 38 Spl Water + Denim test

S&W 38 Spl Water + Denim Test

This is a discussion on S&W 38 Spl Water + Denim Test within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Handgun: Rossi M68, 1-5/8" barrel Ammo: S&W 158gr +P LSWCHP A while back I did a bare water jug test on some old S&W "FBI ...

Thread: S&W 38 Spl Water + Denim test

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar

S&W 38 Spl Water + Denim test

Handgun: Rossi M68, 1-5/8" barrel
    Ammo: S&W 158gr +P LSWCHP

A while back I did a bare water jug test on some old S&W "FBI load" rounds. I got back good penetration and good expansion.

Today I set out to see what would happen when it passed through four layers of denim before entering the water.

The usual setup, but with four layers of denim.

A front view...

Here I've been including a movie of the shot. Unfortunately I was shooting by myself today and didn't have someone to run the camera.

This is the front jug after the shot. Not much disruption compared to the bare jug I shot before. Hmmm...

The second and third jugs seem relatively unaffected. When shooting without denim, the second jug showed quite a bit of disruption - about as much as the first jug in this test.

As it turns out, the bullet did pass through all jugs, stopping in the fifth, making a small hole and creating a leak.

Here is my revolver, a dime, the fired bullet and an unfired round for reference.

A closer look at the bullets. Notice the fired bullet is missing quite a bit of its nose. Upon closer inspection it looks as if it was chewed away by "something."

And another view.

When I went into this test I wasn't sure what the outcome would be. Modern bullets are designed to prove themselves against accepted testing protocol, but though this is an "old technology" round, I kind of expected a bit more to happen since water tends to cause cause the most bullet upset when compared to 10% gelatin and wetpack.

While I'd like to test further, perhaps against another manufacturer of the same style bullet, I don't feel too handicapped. First, this was a short barrel. Second, I have penetration, which is a good thing. Lastly, this bullet did a bit better against four layer denim covered jugs than a 125gr +P round that I tested did against bare water jugs. Though that round expanded a bit, it didn't penetrate well.

Josh <><

Senior Moderator
    Thanks,

Josh
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Thanks for posting. I would have expected it to expand more, but atleast you got some good penetration from the old "FBI Load".
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Sponsored Links