Ammo for the ar platform.

This is a discussion on Ammo for the ar platform. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just purchased a Anderson ar-15 . Looking for a good all around round. For target plinking and home defense. What does everyone use. Fmj ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By LeanHard
  • 1 Post By SCXDm9
  • 1 Post By Smitty901

Thread: Ammo for the ar platform.

I just purchased a Anderson ar-15 . Looking for a good all around round. For target plinking and home defense. What does everyone use. Fmj or hp. I'm looking for a good do all round for this rifle. Thanks everyone and stay safe.

Any decent AR shoot feed and shoot any commercially produced .223/5.56 (chamber appropriate no 5.56 in .223 marked barrels). My AR's S&W, older Bushmaster, and Stag Arms are not picky eaters and will shoot any commercially produced ammo including steel cased Tula which shoots fine BTW, although it is a bit dirty. For HD the Hornady TAP 62 gr or most any quality major manufacturer with a 62-64 gr hp/sp should do the trick. Good luck!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO Pistol Permit, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified
    Active Fraternal Order of Police member
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

For plinking the American eagle .223 55gr at Wal-Mart is hard to beat coming out to about 37 cents a round. This is brass cased ammo of course. I'm sure you can find steel for cheaper.

That being said I would run a heaver soft point bullet or JHP for defensive use and you would be served best to zero your rifle for the heavier 62gr or 75gr options. A lot of people shoot m855 62gr green tip ammo and run a 62gr defensive load so There point of impact has minimal shift.

Speer Gold Dot 62gr is a good option and I have seen some very fair dreals at PSA. The ammo is definitely proven.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    "Responsibility is the price of freedom." -Elbert Hubbard

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

"Responsibility is the price of freedom." -Elbert Hubbard

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    I shoot Tula pretty much all the time. It's accurate enough to hit 6" plates at 100 yards in 3 gun matches. Hornady tap for hd.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    5lima30ret likes this.
    Things gun forums have taught me:
    -Some people shoot guns others "run" them.
    -I don't dislike Glocks but often dislike Glock owners.
    -Open carry is to a handgun as bluetooth is to a cell phone!
    -Simple math can deliver posts per day... some gun forum members need to get out more!!!

Target plinking and defense are two very different scenarios. For the range, a decent FMJ will work great. For defense, I'm partial to 55gr Ballistic Tip varmint rounds, particularly in home defense situations.

Additionally, what my rifle likes may choke yours.

Finding what runs best in your rifle is half the fun...go pick up a variety, and hit the range.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

You failed to say what twist your barrel is. In most case a 62 gr is going to cover you very well. 55gr will work but is not really meant for the twist rates you find in most AR's. It was a round for the 1 in 12 20 inch m16.
    If your AR won't fire what ever you put in it get it fixed
    5lima30ret likes this.
    Yes Taurus really does suck. But in fairness they sure turned it around fast on warranty repair. Time will tell

Sponsored Links