cast iron bathtub...bullet proof?

This is a discussion on cast iron bathtub...bullet proof? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is the place for ballistics, so... Maybe it's a 'duh' question, but I honestly don't know. Will a typical cast iron bathtub stop a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: cast iron bathtub...bullet proof?

This is the place for ballistics, so...

Maybe it's a 'duh' question, but I honestly don't know. Will a typical cast iron bathtub stop a bullet? I've been thinking about the safest place to quickly get my little kids to in the event of a home invasion. It's on the top floor of the house, and is the only cover in the house that might (?) stop a bullet.

Anyone?

What kind of bullet we talking about here...lol. Maybe email the guy at http://www.theboxotruth.com/ and he might make the tub o truth. I would bet it would stop handguns bullets easily. I had one of those old iron "claw foot" tubs in a house back in college and it was pretty darn thick metal. I don't think much short of a armor piercing .50BMG would get through it.

VIP Member
    I remember those tubs too and those old ones refinished can be worth some bucks. I don't have one to test in a shoot, so I don't know how a cast iron tub would do against a bullet, I think it would do pretty well. Mainly I can't think of anything better in your house that would be more "bulletproof"

Speaking of that, I think that A-10 Warthog pilots are protected from a "bathtub" type design shield around their cockpit.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Senior Moderator
    Cast iron is typically grainy and somewhat brittle.

Never shot a bathtub, but I did use an old cast iron skillet as a gong.

.22 LR actually penetrated it at 50 yards if it hit just right.

230 gr .45 FMJ obliterated it. Literally shattered the thing into a half dozen pieces.

Of course, the tub would be much thicker, but I'd still be concerned about holes or spalling (which would be pretty dangerous in it's own right).

It would, however, certainly be better than no cover at all.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    Cast iron is typically grainy and somewhat brittle.

230 gr .45 FMJ obliterated it. Literally shattered the thing into a half dozen pieces.

Of course, the tub would be much thicker, but I'd still be concerned about holes or spalling (which would be pretty dangerous in it's own right).

It would, however, certainly be better than no cover at all.

Matt
    I would think that is dead on (no pun intended), since cast iron is usually a pretty brittle metal.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Administrator
    My best guess (only a guess) is that you would be quite safe in the tub if shot at with your average handgun for the first shot anyhow.
    Maybe the first few shots until the cast iron shattered.
    I think a lot would depend on the exact angle of the bullet impact.
    It would be an interesting test.
    Shooting at an old heavy cast iron tub...not with you in it (of course)...an empty cast iron tub.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I think I'll just line the walls of a walk-in closet with 1/2" lexan and forgo the cast iron in favor of a nice whirlpool for the wife. Of course, if money were no object, lexan is out and lexgard is in (a little over 5x the cost of lexan, but it's laminated sheet that will stop 7.62 rounds, 12ga slugs, axes/mauls... pretty much anything you can throw at it!)

+1 cast iron being brittle.

Whether or not it would stop a bullet would, IMO, have a lot to do with what the bullet is made out of. If its a hollowpoint with soft lead inside, maybe. If its hard cast lead, no way. If its an FMJ, chances are better that it would ricochet, but still not a safe idea. Also, the chances of spalling would be pretty high - I think its a bad idea.

Spalling = the shock on the outside of the metal causes fragments from the inside to go flying.

Austin

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post
    I think I'll just line the walls of a walk-in closet with 1/2" lexan and forgo the cast iron in favor of a nice whirlpool for the wife. Of course, if money were no object, lexan is out and lexgard is in (a little over 5x the cost of lexan, but it's laminated sheet that will stop 7.62 rounds, 12ga slugs, axes/mauls... pretty much anything you can throw at it!)
    Do that and you will feel better about the issue.

I think the tub might be protection against some of the smaller calibers or if the tub was hit at an angle it could deflect the bullet but wouldn't want to have to depend on it.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    Spalling = the shock on the outside of the metal causes fragments from the inside to go flying.
    Spalling is one of the best ways to kill a tank or armored vehicle! Just to add a note to your bathtub idea.......
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I know of a clawfoot tub that survived a ND from about a foot away. When I was a kid my best friends' dad was sitting on the toilet playing with a new gun, repeatedly slamming a round home, when it fired. He got some splatter on the leg and took a chunk out of the tub that remains to this day, but no penetration. I wouldn't count on it to stop someone emptying into it, but if you are fighting in the other room and are worried about a stray or 2, then I think it would be safer than hiding under the bed. Even if something penetrated it would soak up a lot of energy and possibly minimize penetration and damage into a person. I'll try to remember to ask what caliber/type of round that was.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post

The chef in me is softly weeping at the loss of such a wonderful piece of cookware. How could you?!

I'd sooner shoot my tub...
    RevolvingMag likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by sjp2452 View Post
    The chef in me is softly weeping at the loss of such a wonderful piece of cookware. How could you?!

I'd sooner shoot my tub...
    A well meaning person had washed it and put it away.

It was rusted badly.......

I would never do that to my cast iron willingly. I enjoy a pan seared steak too much. :-)
    RevolvingMag likes this.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

That's a good question. I've heard stories about bullets going through engine blocks, which are, more times than not, cast iron. I've probably heard that one several times, over the years. I don't know the details..........................Now that I think about it, some LEO's intended to shoot through the engine of a stolen truck on a chase. Don't think it was on COP's, but one of those other shows. They had a rifle of some kind.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links