7n6

7n6

This is a discussion on 7n6 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does the non-corrosive current offering's of the 5.45x39mm ammo have the same characteristics as did the pre-ban 7n6? I am referring to the hollow air ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: 7n6

7n6

Does the non-corrosive current offering's of the 5.45x39mm ammo have the same characteristics as did the pre-ban 7n6? I am referring to the hollow air cavity in the nose of the bullet thus enabling for the yawing effect to occur, thanks for any replies.
    HK P30s
    HK P2000sk
    Sig P229CA
    Glock G23
    Glock G30s
    Ruger LCR357/38

As far as I know none of them due ..Some of the newer Wolf limited run ones might have one but it is not for the reason as the 7n6 so wont have the same effect ..I might be off on this ..I need to re look
    Rhodie2 likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    As far as I know none of them due .Some of the newer Wolf limited run ones might have one but it is not for the reason as the 7n6 so won't have the same effect ..I might be off on this ..I need to re look
    I was under the impression that the air pocket was the principle reason attributed to the yawing effect that gave this round the notoriety or the infamous "Poison Bullet" nickname? Maybe I'm wrong, as you know I am a totally new to this type of weaponry.
    HK P30s
    HK P2000sk
    Sig P229CA
    Glock G23
    Glock G30s
    Ruger LCR357/38

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    As far as I know none of them due ..Some of the newer Wolf limited run ones might have one but it is not for the reason as the 7n6 so wont have the same effect ..I might be off on this ..I need to re look
    I just posed the question on AK Files. Hopefully someone knows more about it than we do. The Wolf ammo I have is still steel cored, but beyond that, hard to say.
    Rhodie2 likes this.
    “I can explain it to you, but I can't comprehend it for you.”

Ed Koch

5.45x39 60 grain FMJ mil-spec ammo with lacquered steel cases and sealant applied to the primer and projectile. Imported by Wolf Performance Ammunition and made in Russia by Barnaul. Berdan primed, non-corrosive, lead core, bi-metal jacket ammunition that is ideal for AK-74 rifles. The projectile is magnetic. Please note there is an subtle typo on the flap of the 30 round boxes marking them as '5.46x39', vs '5.45x39' on the face of the box.

I did a cut & paste from a description of Wolf Ammo.
    They mention a lead core in the description but nothing about an air pocket/cavity.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
    HK P30s
    HK P2000sk
    Sig P229CA
    Glock G23
    Glock G30s
    Ruger LCR357/38

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_54/16...ir_pocket.html

An interesting thread from AR15.com that touches on our discussion here.

http://www.theakforum.net/forums/sho...d.php?t=181314

And here is another thread I stumbled upon. Still nothing really certain. Just a lot of speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhodie2 View Post
    I was under the impression that the air pocket was the principle reason attributed to the yawing effect that gave this round the notoriety or the infamous "Poison Bullet" nickname? Maybe I'm wrong, as you know I am a totally new to this type of weaponry.
    The "air pocket" Was to move the weight towards the rear, allowing for better accuracy. If the bullet yaws in flight you lose accuracy. The bullet will yaw @ impact when it starts is related to velocity and weight.
    bmcgilvray and AzQkr like this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
    Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
    Amen

Yep it was yaw at impact

Frankly half the reason I think that it got the nickname the Posion round was it was being used agasint the Afgan tribsmen who had well poor medical care so I am guessing infection etc help it out ..Though the gel test I have seen all point to pretty nasty yaw

Frankly though I still think the 8M3 has it beat for nasty on impact ..

And yeah any imported commerical ammo wolf/tula etc etc will have either a lead or bi metal build ( they made some non Bi metal stuff to be range safe for CA etc ) as you cant import steel core AK47 or 74 rifle ammo any more ..
    Rhodie2 and Bad Bob like this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    The "air pocket" Was to move the weight towards the rear, allowing for better accuracy. If the bullet yaws in flight you lose accuracy. The bullet will yaw @ impact when it starts is related to velocity and weight.
    Bob, thanks for your explanation. With the exception of Hornady's varmint offering, I think it's safe to say that the post ban current offerings of 5.45 bullets come with the air pocket minus the steel core now days, right?
    Bad Bob likes this.
    HK P30s
    HK P2000sk
    Sig P229CA
    Glock G23
    Glock G30s
    Ruger LCR357/38

Bob, thanks for your explanation. With the exception of Hornady's varmint offering, I think it's safe to say that the post ban current offerings of 5.45 bullets come with the air pocket minus the steel core now days, right?
    I do not know. It is not a caliber I know much about. But for 5.45 (.22) bullets I like Nosler Ballistic tips, Hornaday's are about 1/2 the price though.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
    Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
    Amen

VIP Member
    Rhodie, if the poison bullet is the big draw for you, 7N6 is still available for about a quarter a round. That said, once I fired the AK74 and felt virtually no recoil and no buffer twang, I really didn't care about the nastiness of its wound anymore.
    Rhodie2 and AzQkr like this.

Ed Koch

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Rhodie, if the poison bullet is the big draw for you, 7N6 is still available for about a quarter a round. That said, once I fired the AK74 and felt virtually no recoil and no buffer twang, I really didn't care about the nastiness of its wound anymore.
    Yea, I see the 7N6 being offered on Gunbroker at somewhat reasonable rates. The "poison bullet" would be a SHTF, "End of Times" ammo that I could stock up on and stash away but would not use it for plinking. The Hornady Varmint round looks promising for a HD type ammo. I have seen mixed reviews though. Mrgunsngear had a favorable gel test and another fellow I saw on youtube didn't fare as well. Sounds like your enjoying your new rifle.
    HK P30s
    HK P2000sk
    Sig P229CA
    Glock G23
    Glock G30s
    Ruger LCR357/38

VIP Member
    Yea, I see the 7N6 being offered on Gunbroker at somewhat reasonable rates. The "poison bullet" would be a SHTF, "End of Times" ammo that I could stock up on and stash away but would not use it for plinking. The Hornady Varmint round looks promising for a HD type ammo. I have seen mixed reviews though. Mrgunsngear had a favorable gel test and another fellow I saw on youtube didn't fare as well. Sounds like your enjoying your new rifle.
    Yes, I'm enjoying it immensely. The guys on the other forum say that the current commercial offerings don't have the same bullet design as the 7N6.

Ed Koch

7N6 is my bad things happened ammo ..I dont touch it unless I need to

And yep a 74 with a bulgy break has no recoil at all to me like 22lr or less ..It is a very good break on them

You missed out a while back Century had Mut build AK74 for like 400 bucks or so ..Crude builds but they worked and were good to get the toes wet in the pool

Right now a Aresnal or Verper would be my bet ...

I would skip DDI as god know what is going on with them ..Seeling to PSA and they say the warrenty is ok but eh...

James river and Waffen works I would be very very worried on

Course the AK74 I would get is this one if you want to stand out ..It is set up to be a SBR but works fine as is the only issues I have heard is if SBR the barrel may need work to better spin the bullet ..But cool looking Krink

Oh and most of the ammo I have used was wolf and Silver bear ..Cheep works fine and is pretty clean

7N6 is my bad things happened ammo ..I dont touch it unless I need to

And yep a 74 with a bulgy break has no recoil at all to me like 22lr or less ..It is a very good break on them

You missed out a while back Century had Mut build AK74 for like 400 bucks or so ..Crude builds but they worked and were good to get the toes wet in the pool

Right now a Aresnal or Verper would be my bet ...

I would skip DDI as god know what is going on with them ..Seeling to PSA and they say the warrenty is ok but eh...

James river and Waffen works I would be very very worried on

Course the AK74 I would get is this one if you want to stand out ..It is set up to be a SBR but works fine as is the only issues I have heard is if SBR the barrel may need work to better spin the bullet ..But cool looking Krink

Oh and most of the ammo I have used was wolf and Silver bear ..Cheep works fine and is pretty clean
    All your comments I will have to agree on. I hear via Internet Talk that DDI had screwed over their employees by making their announcement just prior to Christmas.
    HK P30s
    HK P2000sk
    Sig P229CA
    Glock G23
    Glock G30s
    Ruger LCR357/38

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links