My Carry Ammuntion

This is a discussion on My Carry Ammuntion within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all I'm new and just wanted to generate discussion. Starting today, my Ruger P95DC carry is now loaded with factory loaded Federal Hydra-Shock (147gr); ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Carry Ammuntion

My Carry Ammuntion

Hey all I'm new and just wanted to generate discussion.

Starting today, my Ruger P95DC carry is now loaded with factory loaded Federal Hydra-Shock (147gr); that was the final choice over the Speer Gold Dot.

Also, anyone ever consider carrying with 'Less Lethal' rubber ammunition? I mean it could keep you out of serious legal issues involved with a defensive shooting, and even though it's 'less' lethal, I'm sure that most would submit to a double tap of rubber 9!

Comments?

2. Remove Ads

Would not even consider it. If I'm using my firearm...I'm in a life or death situation. I want my ammo to "stop" the situation in a most efficient manner. That would mean hollow-point rounds.

Rubber bullets are not a good idea but personally i dont think that Hydra shocks are either.

The center post design has in some tests caught on heavy fabric and turned the slug limiting or stopping expansion. I would carry them over rubber bullets though

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Pulling a gun on someone implies that you're able and perhaps willing to use deadly force if necessary. I think less lethal rounds would have more serious legal issues than the far more lethal hollowpoint cartridges. Plus if you end up killing your attacker, there will be only one side to tell... yours. I leave the less lethal stuff up to the cops.

I carry 124 gr. Federal HSTs in my G19.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Administrator
    If I ever really need my self-defense firearm I don't want it to be loaded with bouncing rubber bullets.

Welcome to the forum.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by Dany View Post
    Also, anyone ever consider carrying with 'Less Lethal' rubber ammunition?
    "Less Lethal" = Less Effective

If you are in a situation that justifies drawing a firearm, you facing an imminent threat of severe injury or death. This is no time to messing around with ammunition that's not going to effectively stop an attacker! You've got a load of high quality hollowpoints in the gun right now. Keep them, get some good training and plenty of practice so you can deliver them quickly and accurately if it should ever become necessary.

Hydra-shocks are a perfectly acceptable round. If you test them you will realize that rubber bullets won't cycle the action. They are NOT for self defense.
    Forget the legal mind games they will get you in trouble. Firearms are considered lethal force no matter what they are loaded with.

Stay Away from rubber bullets!

You carry that gun for a reason, it is not to wound anybody or hurt them. If you are having doubts about the legal implications of using that gun in self-defense, don't carry it. More than likely, if you use a rubber bullet on somebody, carry some form of lubricant for what will happen to you next.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    You carry that gun for a reason, it is not to wound anybody or hurt them. If you are having doubts about the legal implications of using that gun in self-defense, don't carry it. More than likely, if you use a rubber bullet on somebody, carry some form of lubricant for what will happen to you next.
    +1

I would also look into some newer bullet technology. The Hydro-Shoks are great rounds, but they are unclassed but the Federal HST, Federal Tactical Bonded, Speer Gold Dot, and Winchester Ranger Talons........

"Less Lethal" = Less Effective

If you are in a situation that justifies drawing a firearm, you facing an imminent threat of severe injury or death.
    Imagine you're being threatened with death. You have a 5-shooter. You fail to stop the attack after 5rds, and he (they?) keep on coming. Now, you've got to reload. Now, you've got a moment to contemplate whether purchasing those rubber bullets was actually a good or bad decision. Ding! Time's up. Good or bad?

I leave the less lethal stuff up to the cops.
    Ever notice that less-than-lethal methods are used only when the police have backup colleagues with them? 'Cause, what would happen if it weren't sufficient?

In these days of crack and other substances, you can't even be certain of stopping a lethal attack with standard, high-quality bullets. I just can see it making sense to detune your primary weapon for reduced effectiveness, when your life's on the line.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Cor Bon DPX
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Why do we carry?

You carry a weapon for self defense...that indicates you want to protect you, your loved ones, and possibly an innocent that isn't armed from someone intent on using deadly force against you or them. In that situation, rubber bullets are about as useful as a rubber ducky. Stay with high quality hollowpoints...I personally believe they're the better answer. As the old saying goes "I'd rather be tried by 12, than carried by 6".
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    Cor Bon DPX
    That is the only thing I carry in all 3 of mine 380, 38, and 40.
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    Cor Bon DPX
    +1 !
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I've been trying to find some "More Lethal" ammo but no luck yet. I don't think "Less Lethal" is moving in the right direction.

Austin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links