Perfecta 9mm reliability issues

This is a discussion on Perfecta 9mm reliability issues within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've heard nothing but good things about this ammo for over two years and with the price being around $10 at Wal-Mart for this brass ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Perfecta 9mm reliability issues

I've heard nothing but good things about this ammo for over two years and with the price being around $10 at Wal-Mart for this brass cased ammo it's hard to pass up.

My experience has not been good. My friend brought out his new M&P 9 compact and he was shooting everything from federal to some cheap polymer coated ammo without issue. I had brought four boxes of the Perfecta and let him shoot some and he had multiple FTF. Upon further investigation it seemed the tips of the rounds were dragging at the front of the magazine. Maybe the rounds overall length is out of spec combined with the M&Ps magazine being a bit tight in regards to length?

On a separate occasion I had a few FTF with my wife's XD9 subcompact. Keep in mind these are different batches of ammo over time. To top it all off I then had more FTF with my FNS 9 compact.

My XD and FNS haven't had ANY failures to feed before or after using this ammo. Both pistols are reaching around the 1K mark at least and my friends M&P compact has had no issues since, but he doesn't shoot much.

Have any of you experienced issues with this ammo, because I find it hard to think it's a coincidence.

I've shoot mostly federal aluminum and brass with the occasional winchester white box with no issues.
    "Responsibility is the price of freedom." -Elbert Hubbard

If my memory serves me right just about every round that failed to feed was nose up jammed at the top of the chamber. No stove pipes or failure to eject.

Prob just some slightly out of spec OAL one those, I've bought lots of this ammo as well and have had no issues to date with it..

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by lyodbraun View Post
    Prob just some slightly out of spec OAL one those, I've bought lots of this ammo as well and have had no issues to date with it..
    That's about the consensus I keep hearing. I bought another box and will give it one more try and finalize an opinion.

People keep saying it runs 100% in there pistols.

VIP Member
    Sounds like maybe a bad batch. Sigs, Berettas, and Glocks. No problems from any of them.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

I have run about 700 rds of Perfecta 9mm so far mostly in Glocks, Shield, and some through my Stag Arms 9mm AR with zero problems. I have run about 100 rds of Perfecta .45 acp through my G-36 with no problems either. Perfecta and Federal aluminum cased Champion is my got-to range ammo.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO Pistol Permit, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified
    Active Fraternal Order of Police member
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I have shot 500 or 600 rounds of the perfecta in 9 MM from Wal-Mart in western Washington without any issues. I know some of my 9MM like different ammo more than others: what works fine one 9MM may not work as well in a different 9MM
    farsidefan1 likes this.

I have shot a bunch of it over the years and never had any issues.

Distinguished Member Array CalCarry's Avatar
    The Perfecta is brass coated, the other brands lead, or copper coated.

I found this same issue using 22 ammo when going from many rounds of copper to the brass coated it jammed the feed ramp. Upon inspection it looked like the brass and copper were gumming up. I could run 100s of rounds of either but when I mixed the two metals it would jam. Clean the feed ramp and try the brass again. The brass seemed to splinter like tiny shards, the copper was more powder like and the two together made concrete.
    farsidefan1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CalCarry View Post
    The Perfecta is brass coated, the other brands lead, or copper coated.

I found this same issue using 22 ammo when going from many rounds of copper to the brass coated it jammed the feed ramp. Upon inspection it looked like the brass and copper were gumming up. I could run 100s of rounds of either but when I mixed the two metals it would jam. Clean the feed ramp and try the brass again. The brass seemed to splinter like tiny shards, the copper was more powder like and the two together made concrete.
    Perfecta is not brass coated. It is a brass case with a copper alloy jacketed bullet...just like most other manufacturers.

An example of "brass coated" ammunition would be Golden Bear, which has a brass-coated steel case, and usually either a brass or copper washed, mild steel jacketed lead bullet.

Sometimes the exact alloy will take on different hues...for example, I've bought boxes of WWB FMJ that, when opened, some of the bullets had a more "gold" tone, others the reddish'"copper" tone. Same manufacturer, purchased at the same time from the same retailer...just different boxes. They intermixed and ran just fine in whatever firearm I put them in.

What the OP may have experienced is, simply, some guns don't like some brands/types of ammo. Shoot enough, and you'll see it.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

almost 2000 rounds of mostly perfecta, some WWB's and 50 each of steel case and aluminum case
    My Springfield Mod2 9mm hasn't had a single hiccup, even dumping all 16 rounds as fast as i can.
    “Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.”
    -John Quincy Adams

This "information super-highway" called the internet is clogged with speculation and the truth is slow to get through.

I've shot hundreds myself, and never had any issues whatsoever.

Distinguished Member Array CalCarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    Perfecta is not brass coated. It is a brass case with a copper alloy jacketed bullet...just like most other manufacturers.

An example of "brass coated" ammunition would be Golden Bear, which has a brass-coated steel case, and usually either a brass or copper washed, mild steel jacketed lead bullet.

Sometimes the exact alloy will take on different hues...for example, I've bought boxes of WWB FMJ that, when opened, some of the bullets had a more "gold" tone, others the reddish'"copper" tone. Same manufacturer, purchased at the same time from the same retailer...just different boxes. They intermixed and ran just fine in whatever firearm I put them in.

What the OP may have experienced is, simply, some guns don't like some brands/types of ammo. Shoot enough, and you'll see it.
    I have shot a lot of rounds, and this issue only happens when I mix plated bullets. I've shot Many boxes of perfecta 9mm over the last two years and I've never had an issue with it, but I do try to avoid mixing platings because of my experience with the 22 caliber. It's a lot easier to go through 300-500 rounds of 22 ammo in a short period than it is 9 mm especially the cost and fatigue factors. I've seen the sludge that develops from mixing the rounds, versus staying with one brand.

Perfecta 9mm reliability issues-img_2344.jpg

Looks like brass to me!
    Last edited by CalCarry; January 12th, 2017 at 08:15 PM.
    LeanHard likes this.

I have shot some in 9mm and 308, no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny53 View Post
    I have shot some in 9mm and 308, no problems.
    The 308 has been good in my experience as well. The M1A eats it just fine, and the price is great. I'll just have to give it another shot and see what happens.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links