Ammo Price Increases

Ammo Price Increases

This is a discussion on Ammo Price Increases within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...o.37f6a54.html The price of ammo is really crazy these days....

Thread: Ammo Price Increases

Ammo Price Increases

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...o.37f6a54.html

The price of ammo is really crazy these days.

The price of WWB at Wally was only $11 per 100 rounds of 9mm about 10 months or so ago. I bought some just 2 weeks ago and it's right up around $14. I paid $15 for a box of .38 +P per 50 at Riley's when I bought my 686.

Right now, reloading almost everything I shoot is starting to look like a decent cost cutting measure since I can get oodles and oodles of casings at my local gun club for free. I'm certainly entertaining it if prices continute to climb.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Prices are indeed going up everywhere. For example, last year I bought Winchester Ranger SXT 230gr JHP for around $18/50 rounds at the gun show. Saturday, the lowest price seller had it for $23/50 rounds (out the door) if you bought a case. I went ahead and bought a case of 500 rounds and was happy to get it at that price. Probably should have bought 2 cases. Fortunately, I was able to stock up on .223 last month at a very good price.

Guess I'm gonna have to get out the reloading gear.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

I just picked up a .22 to offset my ammo cost. In the process of getting a suppressor to make it a little bit more fun

Shooting the .45 is just getting out of control. Even shooting the 9mm is starting to get pricey.

Right now WWB is 15.72 for 9mm at walmart which will go up 25&#37; in september..

I've had a 500 rd drop of 223 Wolf on backorder with Cabelas for 2 months now - and they just told me expected shipping date is the first week of Sept.!!!
    They flat out said that Wolf is telling them that most of their production is going towards military needs right now... which is odd since I didn't think the US military or anyone else uses steel cased 5.56 usually.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    The war will be over shortly and guess what, ammo prices are going to plummet. We will be able to clean house on ammo (especially on military calibers). You say how do you know when the war will be over? Its simple, the army is using a tactic its used in every war since the dawn of time when the end of a war is approaching, they are advertising enlistment sign ons at half the normal time (instead of 4 years, it is now 2+training.) History is our friend By shortly I dont mean in a few months, but most likely within a year or so)
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

EW3
    Quote Originally Posted by SilenceDoGood View Post
    The war will be over shortly and guess what, ammo prices are going to plummet. We will be able to clean house on ammo (especially on military calibers). You say how do you know when the war will be over? Its simple, the army is using a tactic its used in every war since the dawn of time when the end of a war is approaching, they are advertising enlistment sign ons at half the normal time (instead of 4 years, it is now 2+training.) History is our friend By shortly I dont mean in a few months, but most likely within a year or so)
    I'm not so sure that the price increase is so much due to the war as opposed to developing countries like China and India's hunger for raw material like copper and other things that make ammo. That demand doesn't appear to be going down any time soon.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    A Wal-Mart manager told me of a 25&#37; price increase across-the-board 1 Sept. Wal-Mart has been raising prices over the last year, hoping to corner the market in September when everyone else raises prices through the roof. It's a gutsy move and it might work. Talk about "inside information." How did Wally World know prices would increase sharply in September?

Buy what you can afford as I don't think prices will be coming down anytime soon, regardless of the duration of the war. Some of this increase is due to stockpiling, but most was artificially created by manufacturers. Since the initial price increases, demand has spiked from other countries, and, yes, the cost of raw materials has increased. It's a viscious circle. If demand sank like a rock, prices will fall, but not back to last year's levels. Reloading supplies are due to increase 9/1 also. It's still a good option - at least you can control quality!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

EW3
    What are you guys seeing as far as ammo price increases? I'm seeing 2-4 dollar increases across the board per box of 50 rounds of basic target ammo at my local gunshops.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Links