Best SD ammo?

This is a discussion on Best SD ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have carried all of it...but settled on GDHP...they work in my firearms real well......

View Poll Results: Wich would you consider the best SD ammo based on performance and reliability?

Voters
306. You may not vote on this poll
  • Federal HST

79 25.82%
  • Speer Gold Dot

105 34.31%
  • Winchester Ranger-T

58 18.95%
  • Cor-Bon DPX

64 20.92%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best SD ammo?

VIP Member
    I have carried all of it...but settled on GDHP...they work in my firearms real well...

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    Out of those listed, I'd go with the Gold Dot simply because I've not had the opportunity to test the others.

Right now I prefer the Bonded Golden Saber 124gr +P in 9mm, but that could change in a hearbeat.

I believe that, anymore, the performance of the top brands are so close that it really just doesn't matter. It's kinda' like deciding whether to carry the revolver or the auto on a certain day.

I know the Bonded Golden Saber runs well in my pistol, so that's what I'm going with... for now

Josh <><

VIP Member
    My vote was for the CorBon DPX. The only self test I have done on this round is takeing down a wild boar. Two years ago I went on a wild boar handgun hunt. Being my largest weapon is a 45, friends said to borrow a 44. I decided to find a better round through internet search. Came upon the CorBon site and read up on the DPX+P for my 45. The site said this round would get 12 to 16 inches of penetration. Well on my hunt sighting my target at about 25 to 30 yards I took my pig down with one shot. During dressing my catch, the bullet fell out about right in the middle of the pig and the bullet was a perfect mushroom. So here is my reasoning. 25 to 30 yard shot plus penetration through a boars rib cage and still moving plus perfect mushroom equals what I will use for SD round in my 45 forever.

Your very best self defence ammunition is one that actually strikes your intended target be it Wally World hollowpoints or high end, premium rounds.

I carry CORBON 165 gr. POWRBALL for defense in the house for the hope of reduced penetration on real humanoid targets and more reliable feeding in 'my' 1911's.

1). I called Corbon and they did not have any reports of actual people being shot with this round.

Anyone? Not theory, please.

2). Reliability first- I LOVE my 1911's but.....the more I shoot semi autos the more I like my S&W N-frame revolvers in .45 acp and Auto Rim.

3). I do not have any experience with the 40 S&W.

4). I was able to talk with Jim Cirrilo of NYPD Stakeout Fame and he advised me to use 148 gr. target wadcutters in my .38 S&W snub nose revolvers.
    He advised me that even with some of the better JHP's available today, the bullets may not open up and once opened the round face of the projectile acts like a round nose bullet in terms on Physical Tissue, Organ, Vessel and Bone Damage.

GOOD LUCK.

Quote Originally Posted by dustoff451 View Post
    I carry CORBON 165 gr. POWRBALL for defense in the house for the hope of reduced penetration on real humanoid targets and more reliable feeding in 'my' 1911's.

1). I called Corbon and they did not have any reports of actual people being shot with this round.

Anyone? Not theory, please.
    John Farnam has one report on his website.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Farnam
    Cor-Bon PowerBall Shooting:

An African LEO student relates this story:

"Armed with my G26 and 9mm PowerBall (that you brought me last time you were here), I was witness to a jewelry-store robbery in a Pretoria shopping mall.

A gang of four robbery suspects, all armed with Kalashnikov rifles, approached the jewelry store and began blasting away at the barred entryway. They shot until the entire locking mechanism was shredded and gave way. Upon entering the store, the suspects gathered as much merchandise as they cold and then fled. Miraculously, no one in the store was injured.

I took cover behind a potted palm as they ran past. I verbally challenged the third suspect, but he was obviously confused with regard to where my voice was coming from. When he didn't drop his rifle, I fired three shots at him at a range of fifteen meters. All three struck him in the back but did not exit. He immediately screamed and dropped his rifle. After taking several more tentative steps, he collapsed, DRT. I don't think he ever figured out where I had been. The balance of the suspects made good their escape."

Comment: PowerBall worked just fine, and I'm glad he had a supply when he needed them. He is now armed with DPX!

My friend made a good plan and executed it well. Acting decisively, he emerged victorious! No dithering. No hesitation!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hennessy View Post
    My vote was for the CorBon DPX...what I will use for SD round in my 45 forever.
    Ditto Ben.

Forever at least until someone develops either a phaser or phased-plasma rifle in the forty watt range. :p

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Ditto Ben.

Forever at least until someone develops either a phaser or phased-plasma rifle in the forty watt range. :p

- Janq
    Hey man I only got what you see

Hehehe
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

VIP Member
    Yup... DPX for me in every weapon!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I chose DPX. I carry smaller calibers mostly and the DPX penetrates deeper than all the others in the tests I've seen. If DPX wasn't available I would probably go with Double Tap loaded Gold Dot. I like the gold dot bullet.

I saw one tests where damage to the sides of the channel was seen from the ranger-t so it did extra damage but I think this also prevented it from going deeper.

Ranger-T does not have penetration problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Whyveear View Post
    Ranger-T does not have penetration problems.
    In .380 DPX goes deeper. In certain tests it looks as if the talons may slow it down or cause drag not letting it go deeper. But they do cause extra damage.

Scroll halfway down for these results

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaB...9377730;start=

Oh .380 is a different story and I agree with you completely. When it comes to .380 I'm a FMJ guy.

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Gold dot all the way!!!!!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links