Best SD ammo?

This is a discussion on Best SD ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Whyveear- A LSWC or HP that doesn't even expand is better than an FMJ - it disrupts tissue and shatters bone instead of gliding through ...

View Poll Results: Wich would you consider the best SD ammo based on performance and reliability?

Voters
306. You may not vote on this poll
  • Federal HST

79 25.82%
  • Speer Gold Dot

105 34.31%
  • Winchester Ranger-T

58 18.95%
  • Cor-Bon DPX

64 20.92%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best SD ammo?

Whyveear-

A LSWC or HP that doesn't even expand is better than an FMJ - it disrupts tissue and shatters bone instead of gliding through it or bouncing off it. Something to think about.

Austin

2. Remove Ads

I didn't answer your poll-my ammo choice isn't listed.

I use simple factory jacketed hollow-points; at this very moment it's 145gr Silvertip HP (Winchester Super X) in .357 mag. It's a similar situation in 9mm and .45ACP.

My logic is simple:
    1) these cartridges are commonly available and relatively inexpensive ($40.00/50rnds~$0.80/rnd).

2) I can acquire the bullets in bulk and reload something that is more or less equivalent for about $0.20/rnd.

3) If what I produce in step 2 doesn't match exactly, what I buy in step one can be shot without busting the bank.

The local instructors (defensive pistol/Concealed Carry) recommend at least 50 rounds of practice per month; some of which should be shot with the actual defensive ammo (one to two magazines or a couple of speed loaders/8-15 rounds).

Personally, I think this a bit on the skimpy side. When I go to the range, I take 1500 rounds and work through a set of drills and scenarios until I loose the 'urge'-250-450 rounds (2-3 hours); about every ten days. I fire all carry ammo-3-4 magazines/4-5 speed loaders during the session and reload them just before leaving the range.

From the looks of the targets, and the empty cartridges shot by others during my last refresher for CCW, most folks practice cheap and save the special SD loads for---well, until they actually need it. They are extremely reluctant to spend $0.80 per shot just for practice or for (re)qualification.

I shot brand new SD loads per above (the common cheap stuff)--I prefer the 'donut hole' appearance of my targets over the 'swiss cheese' look of theirs. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by jfdavis58 View Post
    My logic is simple:
    1) these cartridges are commonly available and relatively inexpensive ($40.00/50rnds~$0.80/rnd).
    Relatively inexpensive? You can get top JHP loads like Ranger-T and Federal HST for around $18-25 (9mm-.45) for a 50 round box.

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    Whyveear-

A LSWC or HP that doesn't even expand is better than an FMJ - it disrupts tissue and shatters bone instead of gliding through it or bouncing off it. Something to think about.
    Part of my concern is that it WOULD expand, and then not penetrate sufficiently.

Corbon Pwr-Ball

My wife and I carry Corbon Power balls in her xdsc9mm and my
    hkp2000 .40sw. Both guns eat anything inregards to ammo but I am one who feels that if you eliminate as many points of failure as possible the better off you are. The Pwrball feeds just like FMJ and eliminates the possibility of clogging up through heavy clothing.

My .02 worth.

CCWINNC

Well, I've heard SO many different opinions but I was at a LE dealer the other day and I asked them about the differences between Speer's GDHPs and Federal's HST. They said that go with Federal HST because they are not bonded cores and so they will expand more. They said that the GDHPs will go through barriers better because they have bonded cores so that is why the police use them. That is just what they said so I don't know if it will help at all.

At the moment I just load my 9+1 .40 cal P2000SK and G27 with 5 Federal HST and 5 Speer GDHPs.

They both will do their job because both are fantastic SD ammunition.

Best of luck and be safe!
    Kevin

I watched a one-hour video [Deadly Effects: Wound Ballistics] this past Saturday at the AZ CCW certification course I was in. It changed my thinking.

Along with all the other great information it provided, what stuck with me the most was that velocity does not necessarily mean greater penetration. They had examples of slower velocity, higher grain bullets penetrating further than high velocity, lighter rounds.

A bit hard to change your way of thinking but it's simple physics.

I carry Federal HSTs (P9HST3) in my G17 and G34 and Federal Tactical Bonded (LE9T1) in my G26 (their website says that works best in short barrels). I used to carry Gold Dots and Gold Dot Short Barrel.

What impressed me about the HST was the 1.5x expansion size, velocity of 1200 fps and energy 395 ft lbs and the perfect shape that is produced, plus they are a bit cheaper than the Gold Dots. That's impressive statistics for a 9mm.

The LEO test results back this up (Portland, San Diego), which was the final decision maker for me.

Administrator
    I carry Gold Dot because it's high quality. It feeds flawlessly in my SD guns & it's what my local LEO's use for duty so that is an added + in my favor.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Well, it for damn sure ain't Cor-bon or Glaser, as I'm not gonna own ammo that costs me $70 to load one magazine!

i have boxes of both Federal HST and Hydra-shok.

In either of my guns (.40 S&W M&P compact and full size) I just load whatever I'm feeling at the time.

the human body wasnt designed to accept high velocity foreign matter... so there isnt much point nitpicking between any of the selections.

Quote Originally Posted by f-bomb View Post
    the human body wasnt designed to accept high velocity foreign matter... so there isnt much point nitpicking between any of the selections.
    Just use FMJ then because a lot of times consistent expansion is the difference with various types of JHP.

Quote Originally Posted by Whyveear View Post
    Just use FMJ then because a lot of times consistent expansion is the difference with various types of JHP.

.....and get sued when you overpentrate and kill someone.

That's why nitpick.

But seriously, I'd be more worried about my missed shots.

I carry 9mm Federal 124 HST and Winchester Ranger T 124 +p. Both loads are low flash and controllable.My glock 17/19 100% reliable.

It occurred to me that there is a vital question to ask LEOs when inquiring about what their department uses. It is simply, "What drove the decision to use that brand? Was it the lowest bid or something else?" In some jurisdictions, the least expensive rounds are issued.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links