Best SD ammo? - Page 5

Best SD ammo?

This is a discussion on Best SD ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't shoot 40, if given a choice, so I have no input regarding that caliber. In 40 I will shoot whatever my Agency gives ...

View Poll Results: Wich would you consider the best SD ammo based on performance and reliability?

Voters
306. You may not vote on this poll
  • Federal HST

79 25.82%
  • Speer Gold Dot

105 34.31%
  • Winchester Ranger-T

58 18.95%
  • Cor-Bon DPX

64 20.92%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Best SD ammo?

I don't shoot 40, if given a choice, so I have no input regarding that caliber. In 40 I will shoot whatever my Agency gives me.

For 38 Special I have a variety of rounds I select from. The most common is the old "classic" 158 grain +P LHP. I also have Corbon 110 grain +P JHP's and 125 grain +P JHP's. The final selection choice is Remington 125 grain +P SJHP. I really like the last load.

I don't get too "hung up" on ammo. It's more about the shooter than what "superhitechdeathrayoneshotstoppercyanidetippedhyd rochloroform" bullet is in the gun. In short, it's the "software" not the "hardware" that wins gunfights. I just select a "decent" carry load and go forth with it.

Biker

Biker,

+1. ?I'd carry a .22 I can hit with before I'd carry a .44 mag I can't. Fortunately, I hit real nice, and real fast with my .45's. I shoot bullseye AND IDPA kinda shooting with mine.

I personally feel as said earlier it is going to depend on the gun and the shooter. You can show me statistics as to what bullet has the highest velocity, which one penetrate further ect. When it comes down to it its all about which bullet is going to preform the best for you. It won't do you much good to have 15+ inches of penetration and 1000+ fps velocity if you can't hit the broad side of a barn door with the bullet. So in short its what works the best for each individual.

DRT
    Quote Originally Posted by Whyveear View Post
    That's because the original post asks for our opinion. It's amazing what reasons people will give for carrying a certain JHP. They'll say things like, I just like it, it feeds well, my gun loves it, it is high velocity, my brother/neighbor LEO/gun store clerk said it was good, Guns & Ammo recommended it, I did my own water jug tests, etc. Rarely it seems do people carry a certain load based on results of reliable tests. HST is one of the best, but it is not as popular as some of the other loads that have been around longer and/or have a lot of hype surrounding them.

Caliber and bullet weight is also a factor to consider. Some Gold Dots are better left on the shelf as are some Ranger T-Series, etc. The same bullet design does not always perform well across the board.

But it is a very good tissue simulant
    165gr .40 gold dot is one example of a load that should stay on the shelf. doe not expand well after heavy clothing. other GDs work ok.

What about Hornady TAP?

I have some of each...for various sidearms, but for my .45 EDC I use the Winchester Ranger SXT 230gr...not sure how SXT and T compare...others probably know!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Some Gold Dots are better left on the shelf as are some Ranger T-Series, etc.
    Regarding the Ranger -T does that apply to .45 coming out of a 4 inch barrel in your opinion? If so could you please let me know why you believe that. If not any grain suggestions? Thanks

Here is the original Ranger-T:

See how the petals fold straight back with just the "talons" pointing out? Well, the new "enhanced" Ranger-T is supposed to spread further out to the sides like a starfish increasing its size and the wound channel it creates. The .45 rounds are supposed to spread out over an inch from tip to tip.
    Winchester wants us to call them petals because the T word has makes you think of that other round that got such bad press and LEO hostility. It look horrifically painful. Have any ideas what grain would be most effective coming out of a 4 inch barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I use the Winchester Ranger SXT 230gr
    Why 230 gr?
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    Regarding the Ranger -T does that apply to .45 coming out of a 4 inch barrel in your opinion? If so could you please let me know why you believe that. If not any grain suggestions? Thanks
    .45 ACP ammo is optimized for 5" barrels, as you probably know, so I would just use 230gr +P to make up for the one inch loss in barrel length.

.45 ACP ammo is optimized for 5" barrels, as you probably know, so I would just use 230gr +P to make up for the one inch loss in barrel length.
    Right is why I asked. But now I am confused, I thought lighter grains 185 gr. or even 165 gr. would increase velocity penetration and expansion, making up for what you lose a four inch. The +P of course adding to that with the extra boom factor, thats technical term there Don't know how any of that affects recoil and getting back on target. Smaller bullet weight decreases recoil? +P increases recoil so I get? So I end up with standard 230 gr. handling? Also can you get back to me on if you have a thought about the Ranger T's in .45 Thanks
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

My preferred JHP is Ranger-T. Both the 230gr versions perform well so using the +p version is all that is needed to make up for the shorter barrel. Any other steps to make up for the shorter barrel, like using a lighter projectile, are unnecessary IMO.

With all due respect this forum and its members, this is not the place to find expert advice on ballistics. If you really want to pursue this, go to:http://www.tacticalforums.com/cgi-bi...;start_point=0 ...or check out this particular thread:http://www.tacticalforums.com/cgi-bi...;f=78;t=000964

I use Barnes XPB copper bullets! They consistly expand without fragmenting! They come in various calibers and weights! Before DPX Corbon bullets -there were Barnes copper bullets! Here's their site and if you look at this site carefully you will find you can obtain a free DVD on ammo myths! Good look with your ammo search! http://www.barnesbullets.com/products/pistol/

Here's a picture of this ammo-

Last edited by Sneaky; November 23rd, 2007 at 02:14 PM.

Assistant Administrator
    Cat - thx for that link - and the link BTW re the free DVD, which I have applied for is ............. Free DVD
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I found this info on another site and thought it was both interesting and educating!

The topic of terminal ballistics is complex, and probably not legitimately dealt with in a short forum. I am, however, compelled to comment on the "bigger bullet=bigger hole=greater damage" concept. As a university/trauma ctr. and former military neurosurgeon over 20 years, I would say without any hesitation that the differential size between the permanent wound tract of a 45 and properly expanded 9 or 40 is of modest consequence in soft tissue. A careful review of permanent wound tract sizes for the calibers defines a differential of of at most 20% in permanent cavity, which while not insignificant in and of itself, pales in comparison to the critical factor of anatomic location and elasticity of tissue. A .7 inch strike to the liver vs a .58 inch permanent tract (for example) does not pose a significant difference in estimated tissue damage nor blood loss. In inelastic tissue the stress limit of tissues surrounding the permanent tract (also true of brain) will determine the overall depth and extent of non-vital or temporarily disrupted tissue. The sheer size of the hole in the brain from the permanent wound tract does not act as the primary determinant of outcome in my patients. What lobes of the brain are involved, did it cross vasculature on the way through etc, are ALL much more valid considerations. Once the weapon achieves 350-400ftlbs of energy, and has a penetration capability of >12-14inches, al of the rounds in the 9mm, 40, and 357SIG or 45ACP all have similar wounding potentials based on any data of value that has been accumulated. When I was in the Gulf, there were always stories of "the 9mm fails so a 45 is needed", but when you dig deeper, alays check for EXACT details on location of impact, organs crossed etc etc. A 45 hole in the bowel does NOT cause peritinitous and septic death any quicker than a 9mm hole in the bowel...they'll both achieve that end point untreated. Is a hole of .2in in the aorta any more deadly than a slightly smaller hole??The laws of flow velocity and pressure across a hole in vasculature would say not and that has been my experience over the years. Very small vascular holes may seal on their own, but a 9m, 40 45 etc wil all bleed in an unrelenting manner if unchecked by surgery. All things being equal, the larger permanent cavity of a 45 has SOME merit, but the trade-off in capacity, shot to shot follow through (for most shooters but not all) are all factors that need to be carefully considered. A very nice review by the Swedish noted"..to consider caliber as the most defining factor in incapacitation is to ignore a great amount data"

After years of analyzing the data, for me, my CCW is invariably either 357SIG or 9m +P. That is not to say 45ACP is not a great round, only that the ballistic superiority of the round is generally based more on anecdote than scientific evaluation.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links