Best SD ammo?

This is a discussion on Best SD ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a .40 and a .38 special. I want everyones opinion on the most effective SD ammo, and please explain why you feel it ...

View Poll Results: Wich would you consider the best SD ammo based on performance and reliability?

Voters
306. You may not vote on this poll
  • Federal HST

79 25.82%
  • Speer Gold Dot

105 34.31%
  • Winchester Ranger-T

58 18.95%
  • Cor-Bon DPX

64 20.92%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best SD ammo?

Best SD ammo?

I carry a .40 and a .38 special. I want everyones opinion on the most effective SD ammo, and please explain why you feel it is superior to the others.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    My decision is to stay with GD's - based on tests I did some time ago - but those did not include any DPX tests. I hear good things about those (well, re bullet design anyways).

In final analysis - I find the round reliable - it feeds well and my impression of bullet performance satisfies my requirements. It is therefore something of a ''if it ain't broke ....'' approach.

I am unlikely to change for any time yet - plus I have a good stock of my GD's too!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

there are many threads about this already...you might want to see if one of them answers your question...
    "Wear a gun to someone else's house, you're saying, 'I'll defend this home as if it were my own.' When your guests see you carry a weapon, you're telling them, 'I'll defend you as if you were my own family"

Quote Originally Posted by hrtbrk07 View Post
    there are many threads about this already...you might want to see if one of them answers your question...
    Maybe so, but I wanted a poll on it.

New Member Array KyInvestigator's Avatar
    Interesting that HST is not more popular considering the favorable press it is getting with LEO's, performance, etc. I personally stock up with CorBon DPX for Winter carry and HST for Summer use. Last I looked HST beat all the other competitors, includeing GD, HydraShok, and GS.

I have read a lot on the subject, and done a bunch of experimentation and testing. I can now say that I am 100% sure that I know less now than when I started. The only thing I know for sure is that there is no magic bullet!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Well, I have been doing alot of reading too, and it seems the Corbon DPX is held high as Personal Defense ammo. It penetrates better and also expands very nicely. It would be nice to see some "real" bullet comparison photos taken from actual bodies, so we can see how they really perform for their intended purpose. Ballistics gel tests seem to make all bullets look good in pictures.

My choice is Cor-Bon for one simple reason: The key to real stopping power is velocity; You have to get the velocity as high as you can in order to develop kinetic energy. When you have lots of velocity, say 1250fps in a 165 grain JHP, you are going to hit real hard and in a .45 caliber bullet that has a nice, large HP cavity you can bet there is going to be violent expansion and energy transfer. My 9x23 silvertip rounds are 125 grains and traveling at 1450-1470fps, which is .357 magnum performance in an autopistol. I use Cor-Bon in this caliber because they are a little faster, around 1490fps. That round hits like a truck and the recoil for me is the same as a light .45 target load.

Believe me, I have found that Cor-Bon has it right when they make defense ammo. My favorite all-time load of theirs is the old 200gr "flying ashtray" load Massad Ayoob has written about over the years. I chronoed those loads traveling between 1070-1100fps; That is some serious stopping power.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Wich [sic] would you consider the best SD ammo based on performance and reliability?
    None, necessarily. From a reliability standpoint, I'd think that the best choice is the one that works best in your specific gun. That varies by gun (ie, mine vs yours, even if the same make/model of gun).

Mine? The CZ P01 runs well with the DoubleTap JHP 124gr +P, with the Speer Gold Dot bullet. Performance is good. Reliability is exceptional. I'm far more accurate with these loads than most anything else, as well. Thus, my on-target placement is higher, resulting energy dump is going to be greater, and hopefully expansion of the HP's will be there as planned (given the Gold Dot and the speed).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I currently use Gold Dots because they are the most accurate of the reliable Jacketed Hollow Points (JHP's) I have tried in my Kahr and my Browning High Power.

DPX here.

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    My choice is Cor-Bon for one simple reason: The key to real stopping power is velocity; You have to get the velocity as high as you can in order to develop kinetic energy. When you have lots of velocity, say 1250fps in a 165 grain JHP, you are going to hit real hard and in a .45 caliber bullet that has a nice, large HP cavity you can bet there is going to be violent expansion and energy transfer. My 9x23 silvertip rounds are 125 grains and traveling at 1450-1470fps, which is .357 magnum performance in an autopistol. I use Cor-Bon in this caliber because they are a little faster, around 1490fps. That round hits like a truck and the recoil for me is the same as a light .45 target load.
    Actually, energy has almost nothing to do with handgun bullet effectiveness. The real keys are penetration and expansion. A high velocity, and thus high energy, helps ensure sufficient penetration, but any energy over and above what you need to get enough penetration is wasted. Take a look at the FBI's "Handgun Wounding Factors and Effectiveness" study, particularly the conclusions.

Quote Originally Posted by FBI
    Kinetic energy does not wound. Temporary cavity does not wound. The much discussed "shock" of bullet impact is a fable and "knock down" power is a myth. The critical element is penetration.
    I carry Cor-Bon DPX, but I carry it because it's an extremely reliable expander with great weight retention. Energy has nothing to do with it.

Senior Moderator
    I carry both hydro shock and gold dots

Once all of my HST or shot I will be only carrying Gold dots
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by KyInvestigator View Post
    Interesting that HST is not more popular considering the favorable press it is getting with LEO's, performance, etc.
    That's because the original post asks for our opinion. It's amazing what reasons people will give for carrying a certain JHP. They'll say things like, I just like it, it feeds well, my gun loves it, it is high velocity, my brother/neighbor LEO/gun store clerk said it was good, Guns & Ammo recommended it, I did my own water jug tests, etc. Rarely it seems do people carry a certain load based on results of reliable tests. HST is one of the best, but it is not as popular as some of the other loads that have been around longer and/or have a lot of hype surrounding them.

Caliber and bullet weight is also a factor to consider. Some Gold Dots are better left on the shelf as are some Ranger T-Series, etc. The same bullet design does not always perform well across the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace12 View Post
    Ballistics gel tests seem to make all bullets look good in pictures.
    But it is a very good tissue simulant
    Last edited by Whyveear; August 15th, 2007 at 03:14 PM.

Actually, energy has almost nothing to do with handgun bullet effectiveness. The real keys are penetration and expansion. A high velocity, and thus high energy, helps ensure sufficient penetration, but any energy over and above what you need to get enough penetration is wasted. Take a look at the FBI's "Handgun Wounding Factors and Effectiveness" study, particularly the conclusions.
    Thank you. I have posted that link multiple times. For all who have not read it, I recommend you take ten minutes and do so. It does a great job of debunking many myths found in the gun community.

Read:
    A Discussion of Classic Wound Ballistics Myths on:
    http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs23.htm

Caliber and bullet weight is also a factor to consider....
    ...The same bullet design does not always perform well across the board.
    Good call. Performance can vary within the range of calibers and weights from a specific manufacturer. Ex. Hydrashok 115 9mm vs. Hydrashok 165 .45 cal. Same brand does not equal same performance in different calibers and weights.
    HK USP .45
    HK P2000sk .40

corbons copper jph
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links