Bullet damage

This is a discussion on Bullet damage within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; to heck with popcorn ... i orderd pizza and a 12 pack for this one lol...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bullet damage

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    to heck with popcorn ... i orderd pizza and a 12 pack for this one lol
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ElMonoDelMar View Post
    This stat is a little misleading.

Assuming all things equal, a .45 caliber hole is only 1.40 times the size of a .38 caliber hole. So in actuallity a 1.40 times larger hole will be made in a criminals brain, heart or lung with a .45 than will be made with a .38. Seems pretty insignificant to me.

You have to take the difference in the "hole" size, and factor in penetration depth. A hole 1.40 times the size of a .38, over the same penetration distance, will actually disrupt far more tissue, and cause a lot more overall damage.

Senior Moderator
    You're assuming that a larger caliber will penetrate to an equal depth as the smaller caliber. What if the smaller caliber penetrates deeper? If the smaller caliber penetrates more deeply, the volumetric damage could be the same or more than the larger caliber.

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    You're assuming that a larger caliber will penetrate to an equal depth as the smaller caliber. What if the smaller caliber penetrates deeper? If the smaller caliber penetrates more deeply, the volumetric damage could be the same or more than the larger caliber.
    Bingo.

Lew
    So engery and velocity are now irrelivant? Cool, I can trade in the expensive gun and sharpen the end of a 2x4 for a nice big hole. Hey, it's bigger than a .45, right? See, size matters....

While I have not read the previous posts on this subject, I can totally see why it is a "here we go again...". I thnk this post needs some levity.

I read the published work of another doctor 10 or 12 years ago, who said that for GSW victims that did not die right away, from the wound itself, the leading cause of death was infection from the victims clothing. He seemed to think the bullet was "sterilized" in the barrel, ( I doubt this but for the sake of discussion will let it go...) and the infection was caused by the bullet carrying small amounts of clothing into the wound with it. These containing germs and other bad stuff leading to infections and then death....

I don't know if it is true or not. The argument seemed to be logical the way it was written and the way I read it. So if it is true, if you plan on getting shot, stay naked? I think not, I want my carharts, in layers, with a vest, or two....
    There are 2 types of people, victims and the prepared. I choose to be prepared....

"Bless thee, O Lord, This handgrenade, that it may blow thine enemies to bits. Amen" ~Monty Python's Holy Grail

My Blazer Website

My new, Unofficial Cam and Company Fan site.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Lew View Post
    I read the published work of another doctor 10 or 12 years ago, who said that for GSW victims that did not die right away, from the wound itself, the leading cause of death was infection from the victims clothing. He seemed to think the bullet was "sterilized" in the barrel, ( I doubt this but for the sake of discussion will let it go...) and the infection was caused by the bullet carrying small amounts of clothing into the wound with it. These containing germs and other bad stuff leading to infections and then death....
    I think this WAS true during the civil war, and WWI before we had effective anti-biotics. However, if someone is trying to kill me, I need to stop them quickly. I don't want to wait for infection to set in.

Other than that, I agree with the hear we go again sentiments so I'm going to avoid the
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

The question really shouldn't be what will kill the BG but what will stop him. Almost any caliber above .17 can kill: the problem is that while the BG is bleeding out or dying of infection, he will kill you as well.

However, no matter what the caliber of handgun there is no guarantee that even a well placed COM shot will stop the BG and hitting the head in the right place is a pretty difficult task. That's why you should bring a shotgun or rifle to a gunfight rather than a handgun. Failing that, you should keep shooting the BG until he stops or you are out.

The idea of a one shot stop with a handgun is really kind of foolish whichever camp you are in.

Senior Moderator
    I didn't get the impression that any one was saying that energy wasn't important. I thought the point was that there isn't enough energy in a handgun bullet to produce hydrodynamic damage or "shock" like a rifle bullet can.

But, I think it's beginning to surface that increasing the energy in a handgun round doesn't mean it will stop a threat faster.

But it appears that there are some energy thresholds for handgun bullets that is needed for a bullet to be effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    His post stated "Assuming all things equal", so I assumed penetration depth would be equal. Besides, if the target is say 14 inches thick, which is more than the average chest thickness of an adult male, then neither of the rounds can penetrate more than 14 inches of him. The bigger caliber still does more damage.

Hey, guys, I'm new here, but I gotta chime in on this one. I've seen 2cases in the last year where a .22 to either the chest or head caused instant incapaciation. Granted, both were suicides, but then I've seen an attempted suicide with a buckshot loaded 12 bore to the chest where the vict. lived, recovered, and later prospered. He did a lot of lung damage but missed his heart. Also had a case where a shot from about five paces or so to the face with a .25 auto dropped a man in his tracks. Again, shot placement IS the key.
    I've noticed a lot of folks look at gelatin and bore size and all and forget one key thing: The human torso is not solid. There is some skin, muscle, fat, and maybe bone, then air, then some organ tissue (if you hit one) or venus or arterial walls (if you hit them), some more air, some more stuff here and there, etc. In short, that bullet is not carving a tunnel, it's punching a hole, moving about some, maybe even tumbling a bit, then hitting something else, and so on. The down side to the teeny-weinie calibers (lack of overall penetration) is also sometimes their saving grace: They can ricochotte off a rib or other bone and go back into the vitals where a stouter round might pass on. Not something I wanna count on, but certainly a factor.
    I personally prefer big ol' fat, slow pistol bullets (but currently must carry a not-quite-as-big-but-close and somewhat faster bullet at work). BUT, if for some reason (injury, or concealment being paramount to performance) I wouldn't whine too much about a smaller caliber, but I'd make sure I practiced even more.
    --- Just my $.02

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links