.45acp Winchester Ranger Quest

This is a discussion on .45acp Winchester Ranger Quest within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was able to obtain a couple of boxes of WIN. Ranger, 230 GR. SXT, also marked RA45T. Are there more than one kind of ...

I was able to obtain a couple of boxes of WIN. Ranger, 230 GR. SXT, also marked RA45T.
    Are there more than one kind of RA45T?
    I've seen several folks on this site writing about a 'new' .45acp Ranger ammo.
    Now, I'm aware of 3 different Ranger .45 acp loads- RA45B/bonded, RA45T (non-+P), and RA45TP/ (+P).
    Are there others- do we NEED others.
    When will it stop- I love(!) my 1911's and have shot almost every kind of ammo available.
    Example: My old home town P.D. has been using 230 gr. ball ammo for MANY years.
    They can use FED. 230 gr.HydroShok's, but the officer has to buy it themselves. Some of them are now using the HST because FEDERAL CART. CO. is selling it to the dept. for the same price as 230 gr. ball.(for how long?).
    I was advised that their 'stopping ratio' is around 86 percent.
    I was not privy to all the detail's or stats.
    MY point? It's just a pistol, not a lightning bolt.
    Prayer, Train, Prayer, Train, MORE Prayer.
    Last edited by dustoff451; August 21st, 2007 at 04:31 AM. Reason: Forgot part of a sentence.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Well, there's LE Ranger SXTs too. Not sure what the difference is, although I was told that it's basically the old Black Talons. All I know is that they work well in my guns.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Quote Originally Posted by dustoff451 View Post
    I was able to obtain a couple of boxes of WIN. Ranger, 230 GR. SXT, also marked RA45T.
    Are there more than one kind of RA45T?
    I've seen several folks on this site writing about a 'new' .45acp Ranger ammo.
    Now, I'm aware of 3 different Ranger .45 acp loads- RA45B/bonded, RA45T (non-+P), and RA45TP/ (+P).
    Are there others- do we NEED others.
    The T-Series are the high end LE loads. RA45T and RA55TP are part of the T-series. RA45B is not - its a completely different bullet.

The "new" bullet that you have been hearing about is the enhanced version of the T-series bullet that came out earlier this year. It expands to a larger size. The .45 rounds are supposed to expand to over an inch. The new enhanced round still has the same product code, RA9T, RA40T, RA45T, etc, so when you buy it I guess you have no way of knowing if it is the old stock, which was very good BTW, or the new enhanced stuff.

These rounds (enhanced version or original T-series) have been redesigned 3 or 4 times since the Black Talon and they perform better.

Does that answer you question?

YES- Thanks!!!

Links