40 S&W practice ammo @ Dick's Sporting

This is a discussion on 40 S&W practice ammo @ Dick's Sporting within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all: I was wondering if there is any feedback on the reloaded lead ammo sold at Dick's Sporting goods...anyone out there using this as ...

Thread: 40 S&W practice ammo @ Dick's Sporting

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar

Hello all:
    I was wondering if there is any feedback on the reloaded lead ammo sold at Dick's Sporting goods...anyone out there using this as practice ammo? Is it any good? It was selling for $45 for a box of 250 rds. and I was tempted.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    If your talking about the BLUE Box (can't remember the name of it), and you shoot at an indoor range make sure you check with your range you shoot at that you are allowed to shoot it. I don't think the .40 is lead but some of the .45 is lead ball, and some indoor ranges require Full or partial jackets on all projectiles.

What .40 are you shooting it out of? Just rember some manufactures like Glock utilize unsupported chambers. I'm not sure I would be totally hip about shooting something like that out of a glock. If its lead only to forget about it.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

It's Ultramax and it's garbage.

It shoots very dirty leaving lead and GSR in large highly visible to the naked eye amounts throughout the air and all over you, not to mention good luck cleaning that crud out of the grooves amongst the lands in your barrel.
    I bought a box of that garbage, once. I still have it with just 20 rds. shot out of it the remainder sitting in a bag in my ammo cache. I won't even shoot it out of rental guns as it's so dang dirty and I'm not interested in having the lead exposure spike.
    It shoots even dirtier than the yellow box Remington 'UMC' that Dick's used to sell back in the day.

Ultramax is no deal, IMHO.
    Caveat emptor.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar
    When I worked at Dick's I always used to steer people away from the ultramax. I heard the powder was filthy, and lead nose bullets will always be more of a mess than FMJ.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Thanks for th info guys, I guess you saved me from some grief!

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    I don't know about their 4 ammo but i do like the ultramax 223 it's a little dirty but it goes bang. only had 1 with a bad primer and it beats the russian stuff.

On my second box

I went through half a box with no problems, then a couple days later I took my son shooting. In 50 rounds he had 4 jams. after a good cleaning i finished the box without any problems. Some times it has a really big puff of dirty smoke. Clean your gun after shooting and this cheap ammo Made in USA will be OK. I shoot outdoors so the occassional smoke is not much of problem. At the regular price it is 32.5cents a round for the 200 box.

Links