.40sw or .357sig ?

.40sw or .357sig ?

This is a discussion on .40sw or .357sig ? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I need info and am not looking for a caliber war or trashing someone's favorate round. I am trying to decide whether to buy a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

.40sw or .357sig ?

I need info and am not looking for a caliber war or trashing someone's favorate round. I am trying to decide whether to buy a .357sig barrel for my P239 SAS .40cal.

Question is: Is the expense justified based on two totally different rounds that perform in different ways? What are the specs on both rounds and why would you choose one over the other? Just your humble but accurate opinion
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Lead Moderator
    I got a SIG 229 in .40 with the express purpose of also getting (and I did) a 357 SIG barrel so I can play with both. I'd say go for it!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Just be careful and insure you sight in your weapon when you change the cartridge. Their is a difference depending on the distance your shooting from that can be as much as 4 to 6 inches at 15 yards when changing between the two. Don't know why you'd want to switch to the 357Sig (unless your getting free ammo) but then I have personally lost faith in the round after reviewing the documented shootings.

Personally my defensive rounds all start with a "4"
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

I got a .357sig barrel for a Glock 23 that I had. It was nice to mess around with another calibre for fun, and much less expense than getting a while new gun.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    I have both barrels for my P226 because I like the versatility.

I can go from 125gr screamers to 180gr chunks with just a bbl
    change
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Heck, I say go for it if you want to. I am planning on getting a .357 barrel for my G23 in the near future.

Why not? If you have a .40 and can have a duel caliber gun with little expense, I don't see the reason not to get it.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I like the .357 save for the cost of the ammunition.

I wanted to play with the .357 Sig so much that I had KKM Precision make a custom barrel for my .40 S&W Browning High Power. Yep, it's fun. Go ahead & DO it!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

How much fun do you have to have for it to be justified? Just because you get the .357 barrel doesn't mean you have to shoot it every week or use it for carry. If I owned a .40 (which I don't) I would almost feel obligated to get the .357 barrel. Basically a second pistol for under $200! If I never used it for anything but ringing steel plates I think it would be worth it.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    .357 is a great caliber I personaly don't have one any more, but it was strictly due to the cost of ammo.

A big postive on .357 Sig is your target loads mimick your defensive loads (not perfectly mimick) but closer than other calibers. Unlike a 9mm which most people will shoot a non +p for practice, and then pull the +p++++++ super hot cartirdge out that they've never even felt, and walk around using the +p+++++++ as their defensive carry load. Its kind of like throwing 87 octane in your GT 500 and preparing for a race getting all comfortable with the power that the GT 500 engine produces with that 87 octane, and then on raceday throwing in JP8 to actually run the race.
    The .357 Sig, even in practice, is going to give you a more realistice feel of shooting a +p defensive load all the time.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I would honestly say get it if you can afford it . I dont really care for either caliber , but do think versatility is good just for its own sake . The .40 might give you more confidince on the street and the .357 might be a better " boondocking pistol choice , or oppisite , none the less having what amounts to another pistol choice for the cost of a barrel cannot be bad .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

A big postive on .357 Sig is your target loads mimick your defensive loads (not perfectly mimick) but closer than other calibers. Unlike a 9mm which most people will shoot a non +p for practice, and then pull the +p++++++ super hot cartirdge out that they've never even felt, and walk around using the +p+++++++ as their defensive carry load. Its kind of like throwing 87 octane in your GT 500 and preparing for a race getting all comfortable with the power that the GT 500 engine produces with that 87 octane, and then on raceday throwing in JP8 to actually run the race.
    The .357 is going to give you a more realistice feel of shooting a +p defensive load all the time.
    Understand the point here, but difference being....I have never owned a GT 500, but I do an E55 supercharged 469hp and if you put 87 octane in it...get ready for miss city and foul plugs. Not to meantion she wont keep up with with you average Yugo.
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by imthduke View Post
    Understand the point here, but difference being....I have never owned a GT 500, but I do an E55 supercharged 469hp and if you put 87 octane in it...get ready for miss city and foul plugs. Not to meantion she wont keep up with with you average Yugo.
    lol
    it was example. Wow you got picks?

PS: JP8 would probably not work so well either in a Gt500
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Sorry, Rob99VMI04....my bad, it just comes from lawyerin

VIP Member
    Getting a new caliber, or gun or acreage for that matter, is like sailing. When the wind picks up you should reef the main when you first think about it. Good luck and have fun.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links