Corrosion of "all copper bullets"

This is a discussion on Corrosion of "all copper bullets" within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought some Cor-bon DPX ammo a couple weeks ago and I just noticed today that there is black corrosion on the inside of all ...

Thread: Corrosion of "all copper bullets"

I bought some Cor-bon DPX ammo a couple weeks ago and I just noticed today that there is black corrosion on the inside of all the hollow points, but no corosion on the outside. Is this normal with all copper bullets? Is there a way to prevent the corrosion, like spraying them with a little WD40 or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Ace12 View Post
    like spraying them with a little WD40 or something?

That would probably have the effect of seeping into your bullets through the primer or the case mouth and killing your bullets.

VIP Member
    I have the Taurus version and there are some dark copper colored spots, seems like tool marks that darkened. I doubt it will hurt anything, probably oxidation darkening. If it was serious corrosion it would be green and you could wipe some out with a Q-tip.

I would not get WD-40 anywhere near my ammo.

Lead Moderator
    the corrosion will give BG's tetanus (probably not) , don't bother to clean em. I doubt the dark spots should hurt anything.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

+1 Not a good idea to use WD-40 unless you want to practice malfunction drills. I wouldn't worry about it unless there were holes all over the place.

Austin

There are some black spots in the hollowpoints of most of my DPX. I don't really think its anything to worry about.

Worrying about this is the equivalent to worrying about dirt on the tread surface of your car's tires and asking if you should wash it off.

smo
    Don't worry about it, besides you should be shooting your carry ammo often enough that you get fresh ammo every few months. Practice with what you carry, out with the old and in with the new.

Quote Originally Posted by ReefBlueCoupe View Post
    Worrying about this is the equivalent to worrying about dirt on the tread surface of your car's tires and asking if you should wash it off.
    Yep.

Copper oxidizes as a function of being exposed to oxygen.
    We all learned this in highschool and/or from walking around in life observing old found pennies and park statues...

Copper oxidation

Copper is used for pipes, electrical wires, and other building materials. You may have seen buildings with copper roofs. When they are first built, these roofs look like shiny new pennies. As the roofs are exposed to the air and water, an oxidation reaction takes place that changes the color of the cooper. First the copper changes from pink to brown, thin to black. Finally the copper is covered with a blue-green material called patins (puh-TEE-nuh). The patina is made of copper sulfate, a compound of copper and sulfur. Once copper has a patina, corrosion stops and the cooper may lasts for hundred of years. Because it resists corrosion, cooper was used the covering of skim, as the covering, or skin, of the Statue of Liberty. The Statue of Liberty has been exposed to air, water and other forms of Statue of Liberty was restored. Because of its patinas, very little of stature’s skin needed to be replaced. This cooper skin will continue to protect the Stature of Liberty for another hundred years.

http://www.tqnyc.org/NYC051293/copper.htm
    Copper is a durable metal resistant to most anything one could throw at it as stored in their weapons cache including humidity over periods longer than ones lifetime.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    Nice post Janq.

Don't worry about copper corrosion on the inside of a HP. If needed, you can carefully use a Brass-Copper cleaner on the case and outside of the Barnes bullet to protect the chamber, throat, and rifling. Try shooting them up before that happens, and keep a few samples ready for the CSI ballistics testing in the worst case scenario.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

So I shouldn't use copper cleaner on my ammo?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The dark spots you see in the center of the hollow cavity are from the annealing process. Barnes cleans them after annealing and before shipping but sometimes the dark spots in the middle remain. It is not corrosion. It will not have any adverse effects on the ammunition at all.

Mike Shovel
    Sales Manager
    COR-BON/Glaser
    Mike@CORBON.com
    Last edited by TeamCorbon; September 11th, 2007 at 08:04 PM. Reason: signature
    Mike Shovel
    National Sales Manager
    COR-BON/Glaser
    www.CORBON.com

Sponsored Links