What's This 380 ACP Ammo?

This is a discussion on What's This 380 ACP Ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Says Empresa Nacional Santa Barbara de Industrias Militares S.A. TOLEDO 25 Cartruchos 9mm (CORTO) SEMIBLINDADO From my limited knowledge of language, I make it out ...

Thread: What's This 380 ACP Ammo?

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar

Says

Empresa Nacional
    Santa Barbara de
    Industrias Militares S.A.
    TOLEDO

25 Cartruchos

9mm (CORTO)

SEMIBLINDADO

From my limited knowledge of language, I make it out to read something like

Some nation's national military industry
    25 cartridges
    jacketed

On the sides it says TETRINOX NO CORROSIVO NO EROSIVO.

I can't read TETRINOX - I think it may be a proper noun - but it claims not to be corrosive.

My gunstore has a whole lot of this at about $6 per 25. Is it worth it, and what does it shoot like?

Thanks,

Josh <><

Senior Moderator
    It is Spainish for their military. But it has an S&B logo on it which is a Czech company. Is it 9mm short? which would be .380. It could be made by S&B for Spain
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Spanish Ammo

Good ammo for the money. Non reloadable,berdan primed case.I have shot it in a Walther PPK/S.Accuracy on par with any commercial U.S. loading.Might have a little more power,judging from report and recoil.
    U.S. Army Veteran

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    I just ran a google search with different terms. Seems Steve Camp has tested it in a Walther.

He got - get this - 1161fps from its 95gr bullet! A +P+ 380 ACP! He also considers it too hot for Al framed pistols... I'd probably tend to agree.

No wonder my all steel Carpati likes it.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Walther&#37;20PP.htm

Josh <><

Senior Moderator
    Wow thanks for the link
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

there are people that go to shows just to find that stuff. Like you've found out its a really hot FMJ.

To some this is the best .380 round out there and they search it out.

I am happy with DPX.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    It is Spainish for their military. But it has an S&B logo on it which is a Czech company. Is it 9mm short? which would be .380. It could be made by S&B for Spain
    Thats not Sellier & Bellot's logo. Theirs is like a circle with an S over a 'tilted' B

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Fragman View Post
    Thats not Sellier & Bellot's logo. Theirs is like a circle with an S over a 'tilted' B
    Thanks, I figured it out when Josh posted the link to HiPowers and Handguns.

New Member Array Country Lawyer's Avatar
    Santa Barbara is the ammunition maker for the Spanish Military.

this is some of the best 380 auto ammo that you can get. at one time you could get it off the net for a great price, but it is all gone now. it is some what "hot" and shoots great. i go to every gun show just to look for some. my p3at loves it and i search for it all the time.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I stuck this up on another forum over a year ago. Since then my P3AT has become reliable. I chronographed the Santa Barbara through the P3AT's short barrel and it did 1032 FPS.

__________________________________________________ _______

I spent Sunday afternoon at my local gun club range with several rifles and handguns including a KelTec P3AT that I’ve been breaking in as time permits. The pistol has greatly improved since I got it in December but still doesn’t qualify as a reliable concealed carry arm.

Several have mentioned that they have a P3AT on the Forum. I'm hoping to hear from them about their impressions of the pistol.

In peeking in on the KelTec forum I’ve read a lot of blurb about others’ experiences with these small .380 pistols. I’ve not joined as I’m not certain that an objective P3AT owner would be well received. There are some real fans of these pistols on that forum. They are “buffing and fluffing”, smearing special grease, recutting the extractor, and avoiding white box Winchester ammo, all in an effort to achieve reliable function of their pistols. Some apparently own multiple examples and make the small .380 their special hobby. More power to them. Different strokes for different folks.

Throughout their forum mention is made of Santa Barbara .380 ammunition and its potent performance. I ran into a large inventory of this Santa Barbara stuff at Military Gun Supply in Fort Worth, Texas. Priced under $3.00 for a box of 25, it was easy to pick up enough to make a thorough function test in my P3AT.

This ammunition was manufactured in Spain by Empresa Nacional Santa Barbara de Industrias Militares S.A. Toledo. The boxes I purchased showed a date of 6 Oct. 1983 on the bottom. Despite the age of the ammo it was perfectly clean and bright. It features a flat nosed semi-jacketed bullet. The box gave no indication of the weight of the bullet. The flat nose is slightly concave and the concave nose shows exposed lead. The load is put up in a Berdan primed case. The box indicates that the ammo is non-corrosive.

This bullet looks quite similar in shape to the bullet used white box Winchester .380 ammunition that consistently chokes my P3AT with FTE’s. The first magazine full I fired down range convinced me that Santa Barbara .380 ammo is a whole different animal than the Winchester “WalMart Special” .380 ammo. If there is such a thing as +P .380 ammunition then this is it. It give every impression of living up to its potent reputation. The P3AT’s recoil was much sharper with the Santa Barbara ammo than with any other ammo I’ve tried to date. The report was louder too. Ejection was very forceful and was straight back, just missing the top of my head. I fired the gun from the 10 yard line and, when returning to the 25 yard line where my range box was sitting, I found ejected cases all the way back to my box. Accuracy was equal to any other ammunition I’ve tried in the KelTec. I fired a total of 50 rounds with no malfunctions of any kind.

I made a quick search on the Internet and found that the bullet is variously listed as being 87 grains or 95 grains in weight. I found an article by our own Stephen Camp in which he obtained 1161 fps from a Walther PP. This would yield 284 foot lbs. of energy, making this an unusually powerful load for a .380. Some sites cautioned folks not to shoot this ammunition in the KelTec P3AT. After examining the fired cases I couldn’t see any excessive pressure signs indicated by the primer or in measurement of the fired case heads. That doesn’t necessarily mean that it is expedient to fired large quantities in a P3AT or any .380. Its price is attractive but this ammo sure is hot and could cause problems if used for extended practice sessions or plinking. I’m willing to use it to a limited extent in my pistol. I intend to resurrect this post in a few weeks when I have time to break down a cartridge, weigh the bullet, and chronograph the load through my short barreled P3AT. I’ve only had the pistol to successfully run 50 rounds without a malfunction with a box of Remington-UMC FMJ round nose ammunition and this Santa Barbara ammunition. Perhaps at least the Santa Barbara offers a choice in functional reliability in my gun.

I’ve fired 450 rounds through my KelTec and it still occasionally has a FTE. It has smoothed up considerably from the first time or two it went to the range. I really like the concept of a .380 scarcely larger than a Colt 1908 .25 but personally don’t care for the execution of the P3AT. I’d like an all steel frame for myself. I’m probably the only one who would want that feature. I don’t much care about saving weight. I could wish that the design could support a single action trigger feature but that would likely add bulk. The whole appearance of the gun seems cheap but then it is inexpensive to purchase. If mine will smooth out to run faithfully than it might make a toter to place in a small hidey hole.

I don’t do gun grease. Never have liked grease. I am not going to “buff and fluff” a pistol purchase. I think it is bad form to sell a product that can’t properly function until it is worked over by an owner or gunsmith. Just reading all the “fluff and buff” posts on the KelTec forum is enough to give pause to the thoughtful handgun purchaser. Sort of like purchasing new tires that won’t hold air until one has them patched.

VIP Member
    My P3-AT seems to like everything as long as I hold it with a locked wrist. I used to carry Santa Barbara before DPX came along. I consider the little KT a backup and a light duty arm. After the break in, I haven't put a lot of rounds through it. I've just been too busy with the 45's.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I got a bunch of Santa Barbara when it was around (very hard to find now). It is Spanish surplus ammo. Very hot, quite accurate, and inexpensive - perfect for a .380 self-defense round.

I use it in my P-3AT as my carry, non-expanding ammo mixed with Remington Golden Saber as my expanding ammo.

Sponsored Links