Winchester White Box

Winchester White Box

This is a discussion on Winchester White Box within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is Winchester White Box ammo, 100 rounds for cheap from Wal-Mart, reloaded ammo? I had never thought about it before but got to wondering tonight ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Winchester White Box

Winchester White Box

Is Winchester White Box ammo, 100 rounds for cheap from Wal-Mart, reloaded ammo?

I had never thought about it before but got to wondering tonight about it.

Does anyone out there know for sure?
    GhostMaker likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

New stuff... I'm pretty sure. I've never seen a box of reloads that weren't clearly labeled as such.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Administrator
    WWB is "value" ammo. They for sure don't call it VALUE ammo because it is "Top Of The Line" ammunition.

It drives me quietly crazy when I read about people evaluating the performance and accuracy of their new firearm and they have it stoked with Winchester White Box ammo.

WWB has one saving grace and that is that it is cheap.

% of squib loads is comparatively high in WWB and for that reason I won't use it. That is because If I am pulling the trigger as fast as I can doing rapid fire I will have already pulled the trigger at least twice on a squib.

It's fine general practice ammunition. I sure would not carry it for Self-Defense and for sure I would not ever evaluate the reliability or accuracy of any semi-automatic handgun on how it functions with WWB. That is just not fair to the firearm. Especially if you don't intend to carry budget cut rate ammo in it. Evaluate your firearm with what you intend to carry in it.

A person that shoots a dozen mags of WWB in any fully automatic firearm will quickly see how inconsistent it is because of the goofy way the firearm will cycle.

And also (for sure) there are shooters who have banged off thousands of rounds of the stuff and have never had any problems with it but, its overall squib and failure rate is greater than other higher quality ammunition with tighter factory QC.

Just my personal opinion that anybody that is running a new firearm through its paces and experiences FTFs (and is shooting WWB) should absolutely switch to their intended carry ammo BEFORE they start cursing at their firearm and complaining about how they bought a Lemon.
    StormRhydr and GhostMaker like this.

Thanks for that evaluation QK. I don't function test nor test for accuracy with WW. I do plink with it and just general target shoot with it.

I have never had a squib load with WW. But have heard of others who have.

Now, other than the real expensive ammo that I carry (Golden Saber, Hydrashock, Gold Dot and others...) what do you recommend one use to rapid fire and function test with?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Moderator
    Wow, QK, I've shot probably 15,000 rounds of WWB and have yet to have a flier, squib, or inaccuracy problem. I used to regularly put five rounds of this stuff in one hole.

Brownie shoots and uses this stuff by the tens of thousands and has not had any problems with it. He buys 10,000 rounds at a time for classes.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

JT
    I've never had any problems with WWB, either.
    Chuck808 likes this.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I have put a large amount of WWB down range and haven't seen a problem.
    gen3 and Chuck808 like this.
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

I use WWB for practice target shooting because it is cheap and available at Walmart. I find it satisfactory to that purpose.
    Chuck808 and Ksgunner like this.

Senior Moderator
    I've never had a problem with WWB. I use it for practice and plinking only. I sight my weapons with whatever I'm going to carry in them.

But other than that I shoot the cheap stuff
    Chuck808 likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I've used the WW plain white box ammo in 9mm and 40S&W without any problems. I would not use it for carry or defense purposes. But for general use, its seems to run fine.

TO answer the other question,If you want to know how your gun will function for a certain brand and load the only way to now is to shoot THAT load in your gun. Yes, the defense loads are more expensive than the WW, but there is no other way to know how your gun will function with the ammo you are going to carry it with.

Quote Originally Posted by sass20485 View Post
    TO answer the other question,If you want to know how your gun will function for a certain brand and load the only way to now is to shoot THAT load in your gun. Yes, the defense loads are more expensive than the WW, but there is no other way to know how your gun will function with the ammo you are going to carry it with.
    Yes, I know that.....I have been shooting for 30 years and carrying for almost 20 now.
    I was asking what QK suggests for practice purposes where accuracy is required to be the same or nearly the same as with the carry ammo but when one does not want to spend several hundred dollars on carry ammo to practice with.

I shoot as often as I can, and use WWB for its value. I have 5 children and all the bills that go along with them and a house and a few cars to haul them and their stuff around so I can not just go out and drop $300 on Golden Sabers to practice with. If you are able to do that, good for you but I surely can not.
    Aceoky and NONAME762 like this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

No offense intended. I hear you with how the money gets spent. I'll run enough of the defense loads to be satisfied they'll function in my gun. But can't afford to use that for routine practice either. Got 3 kids, 2 dogs and other demands. I've used WW, Remington & UMP or my own reloads. Not an exact duplicate of the carry ammo, but close enough for me.

I was unaware of any problems but thanks for the heads up.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I've had one squib in my live, and it was from WWB 9mm from wally word, out of a g19.

I've also seen alot of cracked casings with that stuff alot more than usual.

Time to pull out the Dillion
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Administrator
    OK there are 2 squib incidents recorded here so far.
    Actually three since I had 2 out of the same lot of WWB.
    The integrity of our forum is pretty doggone good so I think we can trust a "squib count" coming from here.
    Rob99VMI04 had one.
    We'll see if we get any more. I'm just curious more than anything else.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links