Winchester White Box Failure Rate

This is a discussion on Winchester White Box Failure Rate within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; QK, Don't get me wrong. I appreciate your posting the documented problems. As with the internal lock issue, I had no idea it might be ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Winchester White Box Failure Rate

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    QK,

Don't get me wrong. I appreciate your posting the documented problems. As with the internal lock issue, I had no idea it might be an issue until I read it in this forum. This is a great forum with a vast amount of information. It is a stepping point towards understanding all these firearm issues. I simply want to put the information in perspective.

I just bought 1500 rounds of it for Brownie's class this weekend to be fire from my brand new XD9 (100 rounds total) I'll post my failures if I return.

2. Remove Ads

I have put about 2,000 rounds of WWB .45ACP down range and have not had any problems.

Could it be that the people testing the stuff had bad guns?
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I haven't had any problems with WWB in .40 or .45 after about a total of 5,000 rounds. I am not "putting it out there" either (I hope). I like th idea of being able to afford a decent quantity for practice or SHTF. I carry Magtech Guardian Gold JHP in both pistols for defense.

My groups with WWB are decent and so far - reliable. I won't carry for defense unless I run out of the "good stuff."
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Administrator

Thumbs up

It's real good to read that folks here are NOT having any problems at all with it these days.
    I sure am hoping that folks don't have any problems.
    I'll only ever wish bad ammo on terrorists and bad guys who are shooting at me.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Good collection of comment material QK ....... when is the book gonna be published
    Just hit print on your computer. (make sure you have lots of paper. )

some good info though. A good warning for people to consider, before using this brand of ammo.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I just fired off 500 Winclean 9mm, with no problems

10s of thousands of rounds 9mm , .40, .45s can't remember one problem, gun problems but no ammo problems.
    I have problems with premium ammo but WWB flawless operation so far.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    I've never had ammunition related problems with WWB or Win Value Pack and I've shot quite a bit of it over the years. I know it's not primium ammo, but it's worked for me.

Having said that due to price differences I've switched to Remington UMC for my practice ammo. With a case price of $6.89/50 rds at Dick's it's the cheapest thing going around here except Wolf. The UMC also seems a bit snappier than WWB, so I assume a higher velocity though I haven't seen it chronographed.

I carry Winchester Super X Silvertips for SD ammo, though I can't afford to stockpile SD ammo so the UMC also makes up my SHTF supply.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

A firing range near me has banned it because of the number of problems they have had with it.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Young View Post
    A firing range near me has banned it because of the number of problems they have had with it.
    By any chance do they sell 'range' ammo?
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Young View Post
    Let me guess...Target Masters?

If so Tangle hit the nail on the head, they push Remington UMC IIRC

Sponsor
    One of the students in the Flagstaff class this weekend went through quite a bit of wwb with NO issues at all.

I personally went through another 500 wwb 9mm myself just demonstrating for the students with NO issues once again [ and I didn't expect any nor even gave it a thought after seeing this thread last week before heading up to Flag for the class ].

I'm sure one day I'll experience a dud or something with the amount of ammo I and the students go through but the first one will be after some tens of thousands of rds downrange all over the country with none prior.

Law of averages tells me I'll see something eventually, but when I do I'll be just as surprised as if I had not read this thread.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

I shoot WWB and have since I found it a while ago. Never really had any problems with it. I won't go to any range that picks my ammo for me. Especially if it's stuff they want you to pay double for from them.
    "When you reload in low light encounters, don't put your flashlight in
    your back pocket.. If you light yourself up, you'll look like an angel
    or the tooth fairy...and you're gonna be one of 'em pretty soon."

Clint Smith

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tapout1003 View Post
    I shoot WWB and have since I found it a while ago. Never really had any problems with it. I won't go to any range that picks my ammo for me. Especially if it's stuff they want you to pay double for from them.
    I don't like the range that I shoot at telling me what I can or cannot shoot. That will be the day we part company. I've shot the WWB ammo and get very good results. The ammo I shot before (which I will not name) gave me hot loads and a couple of stove pipes per box. So far WWB has been very consistant.

A question about the 45 acp ammo-- I noticed that the boxes were bigger (the 50 rd boxes) and instead of the white styrafoam insert, the plastic insert looked just like the Seller&Bellot inserts.
    Also it seems that alot of the ammo problems were with the 'econo' 100 rd. box.
    I went to Winchester.com and did not find any recall notices for .45 acp.
    I have 10 boxes (50rds. each) of WWB and now I'm not sure I should shoot it up.
    They all have styrafoam inserts and the ammo is at least 2 years old. Any Info on this would be helpful.
    Thanks.--OUT.
    Last edited by dustoff451; September 10th, 2007 at 10:02 PM. Reason: To understand

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links