Winchester White Box Failure Rate

This is a discussion on Winchester White Box Failure Rate within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am not suggesting that shooters stop using WWB Value Ammo. I am only saying that - (1) You should probably not carry it for ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Winchester White Box Failure Rate

Administrator

Winchester White Box Failure Rate

I am not suggesting that shooters stop using WWB Value Ammo.
    I am only saying that -

(1) You should probably not carry it for self defense.

(2) If you have a firearm related problem or an accuracy or stovepipe problem and you are shooting WWB - then you should absolutely test your firearm w/ a different brand of ammo before you curse out your firearm.

(3) you should probably rethink using WWB Value if you'll be shooting rapid fire at a speed that you're not likely to stop at a squib.

While I realize that all ammo can have sporadic various assorted & miscellaneous problems - even factoring in the great amount of WWB that is sold - it's reported incident rate seems to be much higher than better quality ammunition.
    Yes, it is possible to fire thousands of rounds of Winchester White Box without ever having a problem.
    My own early personal experience w/ WWB was (count em) 2 squibs and one solid primer strike with a failure to detonate the round - in a single purchase of 500 rounds of WWB and I never have purchased any since.

Searching on the Internet for 1.5 hours I honestly and truthfully have discovered MANY shooters that have never had a single problem with WWB Value. With the Huge Plus that it's comparatively inexpensive to shoot.
    That being said...nearly every spot on the Internet where the topic of WWB is brought up there will always be a at least a few that HAVE had problems & that is something that is rarely seen with all Top Of The Line Ammo makers.
    Here are some random examples found on the Internet.
    These were taken from MANY different locations on the web and are NOT one single forum post and they are in no way related to each other but are all separate incidents. Let me just guesstimate that for every 10 shooters that report no problems with WWB at lest one shooter has had problems with it. Some major & some minor.
    I (for sure) think that it is acceptable for general range and practice use but, unacceptable for self defense and very rapid fire.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    yep im anouther one just bought a model 86 had one about 10 yrs ago loved it pick up a box of win w box 95gr fmj step out back to test fire got severl hangs and the shot were a little wild.........................
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~
    ColoradoGunWorksGunsmith is the resident gunsmith that is contracted with Bersa for warranty work.
    Long story short is that he's seen a lot of guns come through recently that had squib loads from firing WWB.
    On inspection of the unfired rounds, there was a large margin in error as to how much powder was in the round. Including reports of no powder at all! Winchester is currently denying that they're having problems.

I've bought and fired a lot of WWB, but reports like that scare me off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~

I will have to admit that the Winchester White Box value pack fodder has gone WAY downhill in quality, the last few years. It's quite aneomic in velocity, and I have seen it create some FTF. I still shoot it for practice-- the price is right, and I can reload the brass.............................................
    If a range has identified an ammunition that contributes to failures to fire or malfunctions, it's not at all a bad idea to disallow that ammunition. FTFs and squibs can create unfortunate distractions that cause safety problems.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Southern Planter
    March 22nd, 2004, 05:07 PM
    I had a squib round this afternoon with WWB ammo.
    This is the first problem I have had with this ammo since I started shooting it.(several thousand rounds).
    Now the problem is... how do I remove the round from the barrel?There is no visable damage to the barrel.
    When I fired the round it failed to eject so I hand racked the slide, it didn't go fully into battery so I hand racked it again. When it failed to go into battery a 2nd time I field stripped the pistol and saw the round in the barrel.
    I 'm very lucky that the round didn't go another 1/4 inch down the barrel!
    Anyway I would appreciate any advice you guys can give me to solve this problem.
    By the way the pistol is a Sig P225.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Blew up my MP5 .40 barrel on Sunday...
    I just want to first say that nobody was hurt today and luckily everybody had proper eye protection.

My nephew finally got some trigger time on the .40 and went through two magazines with no issues. He set the weapon down and a friend of mine picked it up.
    He loaded the magazine, dropped the charging handle "tried" to fire but the first round blew the Surefire handguard (with light)off the front of the weapon.
    He immediately checked his hands/fingers and made sure there was no shrapnel.
    When he said that my weapon blew up I thought he was joking until I noticed the Surefire hanging.
    We were using Winchester white box and I have never had any issues with this ammo after several thousand rounds.
    Thank the Lord that the squib must have been located toward the muzzle and not near the chamber where it may have injured my friend's hand.
    On positive note, the cocking tube, bolt assembly and operating rod all appear to be OK.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Is anyone else out there experiencing problems with "Wally World" white box ammo? I love the price, but it seems the quality of the ammunition varies from lot to lot. One batch will be great, the next might be less so. I found out that that the white box stuff does not come from one manufacturer, but from many, so the quality control must be lacking somewhere. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WWB box definitely varies more than any other ammo I use,but I still use it for plinking.I just expect the occasional stovepipe or other incident.
    I've run about 1000 rounds through my CZ75 with only one curious round.
    At IDPA practice, the last round of one of my runs was a squib.
    Had enough to push the bullet out, so no biggie.
    Other than that, WWB has been a good, cheap, and reliable practice round.

Administrator
    Everyone be advised, in the last 60 days we have had several T380's come in with swelled barrels from having a squib load situation. ALL THESE WERE WITH WINCHESTER WHITE BOX AMMO!!!!! We have contacted Winchester who is currently looking into the problem and is prepared to replace the firearms we have in our repair center. IF YOU HAVE THIS HAPPEN!!! DO NOT DISPOSE OF THE BOX OF AMMO. Winchester will want the remainder of the ammunition for their inspection.

One of our local trusted gun dealers (Doug's Shoot'n Sports) has a kimber .45ACP barrel that was recently bulged by wwb.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~

yep im anouther one just bought a model 86 had one about 10 yrs ago loved it pick up a box of win w box 95gr fmj step out back to test fire got several hangs and the shot were a little wild was thinking about carry it back and then shot a clip of cor-bon with no hitch
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Me. FTFs. Several of them. At a greater frequency than most ammo.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Why would you use ammo that has been documented as to having multiple squib loads?
    Is a couple of dollars worth a bulged barrel or even worse, a gun exploding in your hand?
    If you read all of the threads on this topic you will be able to judge for yourself (I guess) and make the appropriate decision for yourself.
    We are all capable of making our own decisions here.
    If you want to use it, it's your choice.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~
    I have . Bought one box - some FTE's and FTF's. Never bought another box.

For plinking i generally use winchester white box as well.
    The only thing i have ever noticed is that sometimes a round might seem not quite as hot as the others.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    A shooter opened a box of 38 cal. white box & thought they looked odd.
    He measured them and found that 6 had their bullets insufficiently seated.
    He posted the picture and I have it somewhere.
    A friend suffered a squib during a competition using white box and the range master found that a 9 mm round had been loaded into a 40 cal casing.

Administrator
    A US Made "Budget" load frequently called "Winchester White Box."There were some problems with this ammo being over pressure and blowing primers. Winchester pulled this ammo off the market a couple years ago but it has recently resurfaced. Submitted by:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I had to use a squib rod to get one out Tuesday. .... Here is a pic of the headstamp...its Win brass from Winchester White Box 147s. ...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Couple of years ago I had a squibb load in a Winchester white box of 9mm. They sent me some neat stuff. That is and was the only squbb I have ever encountered in Winchester....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I had no problems shooting my AR-15s for almost 6 months and maybe 700 rounds through both rifles.
    Then I got my hands on a bad lot of Winchester white box ammo.
    I believe this is the sub-contracted stuff that was coming from overseas and even Winchester has admitted there are problems with the ammo.
    I bought 200 rounds of the ammo and out of that batch I had experienced a blown primer or a misfeed about once every 15 rounds.
    Absolutely the worst ammo I've ever laid my hands on.
    Glad I tried the ammo before I used it for anything other than shooting just targets. With my PMC fodder that I use I'd be lying if I said I've had no problems what so ever with the ammo or the guns.
    My problems however where only magazine related and they were very simply cured with green followers after finding that I was having bolt overs on the 28th round.
    Since then I've made sure to rotate through my collection of mags to make sure that all function.
    I can safely say that my two Bushmasters each have had 1000 plus rounds put through them in the past year with the only stoppages due to the Wichester Crap Box Ammo and a batch of 4 mags that needed new followers.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have shot WWB for several years now and have never had any real problem with it until recently.
    I was at the range on Sunday with some friends and I put 500 rounds down range through 4 different guns.
    I was getting about 48-49 out of every 50 rounds in the ten ring for the first 200 or so rounds with the CCI Blazers.
    I switched to WWB and suddenly I was hitting, very consistently, well outside the 4-inch diameter ten ring I had been shooting at earlier.
    My friends and I all thought I may just be getting tired, after all it was 105 degrees here on Sunday and I had already shot 200 rounds.
    So I went back to the M&P and the CCI Blazers and was hitting the ten ring again.
    Switched back to the WWB and not only was I going wild again I had a squib and had to take the gun apart to remove the bullet from the barrel which was stuck right at the very end of the barrel.
    It was an easy fix but I through the rest of that box away, and I don't think I will go back to it when I can get the Blazers for just a few cents more than the WWB at Wal-Mart.
    I have had a lot of problems keeping the WWB on target in the past few months all of it bought at different times and different locations.
    Have I just had some bad luck or is this becoming more common?
    I did an informal test with WWB and CCI Blazer Aluminum. I shot 50 rounds of each, 10 per magazine, alternating between the two.
    Accuracy at 7 yards was about the same. I didn't notice anything different.
    However, I get more weak rounds with WWB and it seems dirtier.
    I've been shooting just CCI Blazer Aluminum now also because it makes my range bag lighter
    I guess any manf. can have a batch of bad product, I think I'll stick withh WWB until I start having more than an occasional problem.
    Someone may have shot 100,000 rounds of WWB without a hitch but that does not change my recent experiences and frustrations with it.
    I will more than likely go back to using it.
    I do the same with guns I don’t like;
    Hey all. Well I finally got my G39 back after my issue with WWB GAP ammo.
    Today I had another class with 400 rounds shot through it with the new barrel.
    Only 2 Failure To Go To Battery in 400 rounds.
    The first one early on and spooking me with the squib boom fresh in my mind.
    As promised I finally got to take some photos of the bulged barrel.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My G37 that I bought used has a replacement barrel that Im sure was caused by bad WWB ammo. I wont buy their ammo anymore for any calibre.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Problem with WWB is that it's dirty, smokey as a musket (it actually coats my shooting glasses), and I've had misfired primers with it.
    Beg pardon if this is in the wrong section. I was out shooting my M9 today, and about the 8th round out of the mag I heard a phisst instead of bang.
    I decocked, removed the magazine, and racked the slide. I thought I had a squib, but found out the round's primer was gone.
    Not in pieces: it was gone. I field stripped, and checked her out.
    The breech face was filthy, but everything else seemed OK. I resumed firing with no problems.
    Now I'm worried that it may have done something to my gun.
    I had shot a bunch before this happened, no problems.
    Ammo was WWB 115gn. I know that primer was there when I loaded the magazine. Any thoughts
    I have had similar with the WWB 115 gr.
    The primer pockets were not drilled thru the case.
    Another was the primers were a loose fit in the primer pockets.
    When you cleared the gun the primer may have fallen out or worst ended up in the trigger.
    This is with the new WWB lots .
    Your M9 should be fine just clean it good and look for the primers.
    I ruined a perfectly good factory Colt chrome lined 9mm SMG barrel with a nice ring due to a squib with WWB.
    And this barrel had over 50k rounds of Wolf thru it without incident.
    I've since limited WWB to pistols only which is a good thing as a few months ago got a squib in a Beretta 92.

Administrator
    The only squib I've ever experienced was from WWB. I still shoot it though.
    I noticed the other day a very slight bulge, uniform all around the barrel. It was about halfway on my 16in barrel.
    What could have caused this? I've only shot WWB through it. Was it bad ammo?
    And on a side notes, what site sells 16in barrels the cheapest? unless uzitalk has a member with a good deal. *****************************Yep -Squib city. Happens to the best of us...Surprised it was with WWB, but there's no exemptions from a squib.
    Pfsst! Went the round and smoke curled up from the breech of our Kel Tec P3AT. After dropping the mag and visually inspecting the breech, I was able to probe the barrel and determione it was a true squib, with the bullet lodged halfway up the barrel. Let me emphasize, this was a squib, with only the primer firing. The pistol did its job, but the round failed.

I just had my first squib in 47 years of shooting. We were teaching some new shooters and thank goodness, the squib happened while I was shooting. Had I been quick firing (Mozambique, etc,) or had the new shooters been firing, we could have easily bulged the barrel or worse.

This happened with .380 Winchester White box 100 round pack from Walmart. I didn’t think until too late to save the box so I could tell Winchester what the lot number was.

I would really like to see a sticky started for reporting and tracking squibs, to alert other shooters and to make a record for manufacturers. If we were to see a pattern emerge, I’m sure we could bring market forces to bear to correct a trend. In any case, for people who CCW, knowing what brands/calibers have had squibs could be a life saver by avoiding that brand.

For an informal survey to be meaningful, we'd really have to look at the failure rate of any brand of ammo against the volume of each brand that is produced. And that's where it gets tricky. I'd bet that WWB is the highest volume seller of domestically produced pistol ammunition. If it gets twice as many failure reports as a brand that sells a third as much, we'd have to know that to make an honest inference of "value".
    Had my first FTF. v. G23/WWB
    I've got about 1000 rounds through my Gen. 3 G23 now, mostly WWB, with about 100 165gr. Gold Dots mixed in for carry compatibility. Anyways, I had my first Fail-To-Fire at the range the other day. Maybe it's just me, but having the gun NOT go bang, is much more frightning than it actually going bang.

I cleared the faulty round, checked it out, and sure enough, it had a perfectly normal strike mark. Bad round, IMO, not the guns fault AFAIK.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~

I had at least one 'failure to ignite primer' syndrome malfunction out of both my 1st gen GLock 22 and 23 models back in 1991 or so, both with WInchester and/or factory Remington ammo...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yes. More than once. I had probably shot 5,000 rounds of WWB .40 S&W with a very rare hard primer, then, in the last 2 or 3 hundred rounds of WWB that I will ever shoot, I experienced several hard primers and a case failure in my H&K. It seems like their QC has gone down the drain, but their customer "service" is what will keep me from ever buying anything with Olin on it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Had the same thing happen to me just last Sunday with the 9mm wwb. About 130 into shooting and "click" I couldn't believe it. I've shot 1000's of rounds of wwb, first time ever

I have had a few hard primers and squib loads out of several thousand WWB.

I used WWB for years - no problems. Then early this year - I got 2 under powered in a 50 round box of WWB from Wal-Mart.

Since then, I've switched to CCI Blazer for my 9mms. Its cheaper than the WWB, and it is cleaner than WWB.

I found the WWB had very different charges. Most were the same (typical 45, similar to the UMC), about 20 were *serious* recoil, where I could hear the slide *slam* back hard and then return to battery. Each time that happened, there was much more muzzle flip & kick to the tactical.
    Was I basically getting suped-up ammo loads in my WWB ?
    Anyone else ever had this happen ?

have noticed on occasion, some inconsistency with WWB ammo

was told to buy my ammo, from whatever source, in Dec/Jan and buy it for the coming year
    as WWB, when and if it sits in a hot warehouse, powder would degrade and demo that inconsistency

don't know how much truth there was to the advise, i simply did just that and haven't noticed any consistency problems since

In your case you had a few rounds that failed to ignite. This can be soft primer hits, or just bad primers. It happens with factory ammo too. I've had a few with WWB.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

bought 2 boxes of the 100rd. WWB last week. There were 2 squib loads in each box. The bullets didn't get stuck in the barrel, but it was like pulling the trigger on a BB gun. I have shot many 50rd. boxes of WWB and never experienced this. I won't be buying anymore 100rd. boxes of WWB. I have read about others having the same experience on Glocktalk.

First, glad nobody was hurt. Several months ago somewhere on the forum someone had an experience very similar to yours (can't remember where) and another member posted some pics of WWB rounds that had the bullet seated very low, light charge, which caused a squib and obstruction. I checked all my WWB that nite and have since changed ammo. Hope you have your new pistol soon.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    I didn't get hurt other than a little cut from a piece of metal that hit the the range stall and hit my cheek. Here's a picture I saw on another forum which I saved. He was talking about opening a box of WWB ammo and loaded two mags, then he was loading a third mag and found this... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...4/570c7713.jpg The only reason I decided to not go through the dealer is because he sold it to me for a hell of a price and it's not my ONLY gun and I know how gun dealers make their money. But I also don't want this to be brushed under a rug either so I'm trying to handle this pretty aggresive.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My 1st trip to the range with my Gold Match II, and a few boxes of ammo from 2 companies proved unsatisfactory. I used a Value pack of WWB and on the 2nd tray I had FTF about every 3rd round. Switched out to another company and flawless. Went back to the WWB and again FTF. I sent the pistol back to Kimber for another problem and they ran another 300 or so rounds through it without any problems.

Administrator
    When good gun meets bad ammo.. whats left of my MP5 clone

WWB was being shot when this happened.
    My FTE occurred using Winchester White Box as well but it was not from the Wal-Mart value pack variety nor was it the WinClean stuff. Just regular white box.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My FTEs have all been WWB. 50 rnd boxes, all bought from two different Academy stores. I shot this same batch of ammo thru a Kahr with no problems. Next time I am going to try some Remington.
    I had a ftf with a wwb 9mm round last weekend. Wouldnt feed into my freinds berreta eighter. After looking at it close you could see a small bur on the case lip. Years ago I found a 45acp cartridge with the bullet pushed into the case, glad I didnt fire that one. I still like the ammo and Ive fire 1000s and 1000s of round of different calibors with only those 2 problems.
    many on the XD forum report problems with WWB. I personally believe the casing lip is too small on wwb.

I haven't had a problem with WWB in either of my M&P's, but I DID have two squib rounds of WWB, one stuck in the barrel of my Beretta Storm and the other in a SigP226. Neither were from the same lot, btw.

I called Winchester both times. One box they had me send back, the other they told me not to shoot and both times sent me a couple boxes in replacement.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~
    I've experienced this myself once in the 900 rounds my M&P9 has through it and it seems to happen with the 9mms only. Most have been with WWB but all.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~
    I did find this: ************************ Which seems to be related solely to WWB ammo.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    White Box Malfunctions
    Started 2 weeks, 3 days ago (2007-08-19 09:48:00) by jwg223
    quote: Originally posted by badkarma56: Thanks Jwg223 and Hotpig, I'm going to give it a few more range trips to see if the issue subsides. Q4172 isn't my preferred ammo, but sometimes you have to take what you can get! I think I'll pump a few more rounds of 9mm NATO (200-300 rounds) downrange before trying the Q4172 again. If this "white box" ammo still causes the weapon to malfunction at
    New Kimber Custom II killed by Winchester White Box ammo...:(

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

extxdpscamaro4th August 2005, 12:36
    Hey everyone! I just thought I'd share my experience with my NEW Kimber Custom II... First, I love Kimber! I've owned two and have loved both. My second Kimber I purchased a little over three months ago. I purchased it from one of my local dealerships and shot it for the first time in the dealerships range. The first three rounds were smooth. Then on the fourth... KAPOW!!! , and pieces of metal were thrown all over the place!... My new Kimber was dead. One of the employees that helped me with my purchase was shooting next to me (with his kick ***** STI Exec.)and saw the flash and heard the strange pop from my shooting booth. After he heard me yell MOTHER F'R!!!, he came over and took a quick look at the pistol. When I heard him say, "Son of a ******" it confirmed what I fear'd. Well we sent the Kimber with the busted barrel and all back to the manufact. Kimber called about three days later and said I needed to open a case with Winchester because it was their ammo that caused the problem. Winchester requested to see the gun and rest of the ammo to determine whether it was their fault... Kimber got the gun back from Winchester and said they would not fix this pistol since there are numerous cracks in the slide and lower. Kimber wants Winchester to replace the pistol. Winchester is dragging their feed and it's been over three months!!! I've really appreciated Kimbers communication and ability to keep in touch with me. Winchester hasn't been too bad but they just seem to want to replace their ammo with more free ammo and call it good. I'm possitive I'll never run Winchester ammo through any of my guns ever again.

Administrator
    Maybe you could do some research, by reading the previous thread, which started out in January, originally posted by CGWGunsmith, who reported damaged pistols coming into his shop that resulted from shooting WWB. The thread goes on and on, for 8 pages and 111 entries. I'm not sure anyone "hates" Winchester, but let's face it, they've been less than upstanding and their integrity has been called into question, and it seems reasonable to doubt it. But it's a free country, so go ahead and shoot all the WWB you want. I don't use it any more. It's a personal preference. Others disagree, as is their right. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Winchester Ammo
    I'll make this brief. For the reloader, Winchester brass is usually not the first pick. It's not mine. But until recently we have had no problems with Winchester ammunition. As of late however, we have been seeing a great many problems related to oversized brass and blowing primers. Please take this warning seriously. We have nothing against the Winchester company, as a matter of fact had used Winchester ammo for years as our official testing ammo, but there seems to be a large batch out there that simply does not work well.

Recommendation: Stay away from Winchester ammo, unless you are getting the really good match grade stuff, at least for now.

Go towinchester.com and look under ‘latest news’. It tells which lot numbers are the problem.

Two of our development squad athletes have had rounds blow up in their chambers recently, one during our training camp. The magazine gets destroyed and in one case the xtractor was broken. There is also the potential for serious injury. Rumor is that other biathletes also have had problems with this ammo.

Around the time of the first failures, a couple of months after I started shooting a lot of the "value pack" 165-grain Winchester White Box from WalMart, I started having problems feeding in both pistols, same symptoms as yours. The original gun doesn't have it happen very often, but the Match has a hang-up at least once per mag. I had 3 hi-cap mags that I had bought with the first gun. All three had previously been reliable, but all started experiencing jams around the same time. Over the next few months, I purchased 4 more used hi-caps from various sources, all displayed the same problem, as well as bulging when loaded to full capacity. I have replaced all of the springs with Wolff springs, which has lessened the frequency of the jams in both guns, but not eliminated them altogether.

My next suspect was the cheap ammo. I use 165 and 180-grain Gold Dot as my defensive loads, and it has always worked flawlessly. Now it also jams occasionally, but not as often as the White Box stuff.

It would be one thing if either gun's problem ends up being a recoil or extractor spring, but why would a brand new gun have the same issues as an old one at exactly the same time unless it is mag-related? Could the White Box ammo itself be causing issues? I am thinking about dumping it completely, but then I will end up shooting less due to having to buy more expensive rounds.

I'm not saying ALL Winchester ammo in white boxes is a problem. Before the 165-grain value packs came out at Wal-Mart, I shot more than 1000 rounds of their 180-grain loads with 0 malfunctions. I may end up going back to it. What I am questioning is the reliability of their cheap value ammo. I have shot about 1000 rounds of it as well, and it has only since I have started using it have I had the reliability issues.

Administrator
    Yea, that obstruction was their crappy bullet, the incident round. I guess the net results are they are fixing your gun and keeping the evidence. With proof of sending the 18 boxes, you should be able to buy more crappy rounds. No more Winchester ammo for me!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I would have thought Winchester would have been a little more eager to cover their Azz knowing that they had 2 KB's from the same "LOT" and a bullet stuck in another.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~

yea sure i'll send it over.. just posting this because i had ANOTHER problem with the wwb they sent to me. Three of the rounds seemed out of spec. the brass seems to be too big around the bullet. these three failed to feed when my mother was shooting out of her g37, and the casings are all crimped back around the bullet. sorry for the untechnical terms, but i'll post some pics tomorrow morning and show exactly whats going on. i'll also scan the letters from them and send them to you. hope you get some help out of that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~

I went out shooting my model 1899 Colt .38 Spl. revolver today. I set up a golf ball about 25 yards away. I loaded up some WWB .38's and went on shooting. As yall know recoil out of a .38 is about like a .22 and out of my 6" barreled revolver it is almost non-existant, but the first shot seemed really weak.:uhoh: I went on shooting and ALL the rounds felt weak. After I got done shooting out the all 6 rds., I swung out the cylinder and took a look sown the barrel. I didnt have to look far cause at the end of the barrel was the shiny end of a .38!!! I went in my little work room got a wooden dowel and tapped it out. To my suprise TWO bullets fell out!! :uhoh: I dont know if a .38 Special could blow up a barrel but I would'nt want to try it again! After I punched it...I mean "them" out I cleaned and checked the barrel out, no problems. I went back out fired a few more times and had to come in once again punched out a bullet and went out once more but this time I got alot of really hot loads that felt like I was shooting a .357 Magnum!! I dont plan on buying any more of Winchesters .38 100 rd "Value Packs".
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    my buddys glock also had a bad event during the 400 rounds of .40 wwb one time he fired and then it never ejected and the slide wouldn't move. it was jammed in the closed position. after about 10 mins of tinkering we got the casing out and it had balloned out.

During the process of firing 130 rounds of 115 grain WWB ball, .... KaBoom,
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I've had misfires from WWB, RYB (Remington yellow box) and hydra shocks. I've never had a ftf from Cor Bon, Hornady
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~

Administrator
    I'll bet that nobody makes it all the way down to this post.

Senior Moderator
    Your right I just scrolled down after reading the first 3
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Administrator
    I'll need to clean them all up a bit later on. Some are not 100% applicable but, I needed to hurry up get them posted because I could tell the forum was about to go down.

An overwhelming amount of information that violates the first principal of public speeking as advocated by an older pastor. To wit The mind can absorb only as much as the behind can stand. Or some application thereto.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

QKShooter,
    Have you heard of or experienced any problems with the Winchester 9mm NATO stuff? I still have about 500 rounds out of a 1000 left. So far, so good.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Administrator
    Old Chief -

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The problems seem to be with the WB Value ammo.
    Also...I am not telling folks not to use WWB only not to use it for SD or rapid fire. Because of the seemingly abnormal squib rate.

Assistant Administrator
    Good collection of comment material QK ....... when is the book gonna be published

Thanks tho - it is useful to see that much info all in one place. My own experience with WWB has over time been fortunately very positive - plus I find the brass just great for reloading.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links