My pet peeve about ammunition advertising.

This is a discussion on My pet peeve about ammunition advertising. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This has been drifting through my alleged mind for some time. Bad Bob's thread about 'Efficiency' pushed me over the top. Back in the old ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: My pet peeve about ammunition advertising.

This has been drifting through my alleged mind for some time. Bad Bob's thread about 'Efficiency' pushed me over the top.

Back in the old days, ammunition came in boxes and the makers put the velocity on the box. Nowadays, ammo still comes in boxes, but without the stats. However, the websites for the makers usually will have some 'claim' of velocity if one cares to look.

Does that mean anything?

I have a number of (old) .32 Automatic pistols. Nearly all the manufacturers claim a velocity of 900 fps (or so) with a 71 grain FMC bullet. None of my pistols clock that fast. I have a couple (French MAB pistols) that do in the upper 800s and the rest are less. A couple in the 600s.

From "Ballistics by the Inch" their information shows a minimum four inch barrel to reach 900 fps. Most .32 ACP pistols have barrels of around three to three and a half inches.

Rifles have the same problem. A .308 Winchester round does not clock as much velocity from an eighteen inch barrel as a twenty-six. But I cannot find any manufacturer specific information or expectation about velocity versus barrel length.

Okay, perhaps this doesn't really mean anything. Most folks will find a load or a commercial loading they like, sight the rifle in and go forth.

But I like specifics.
    Phaedrus, drift and Doghandler like this.
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Relax, its okay

"Back in the old days, ammunition came in boxes and the makers put the velocity on the box. Nowadays, ammo still comes in boxes, but without the stats"

Just like in the old days:

The minimum is not what I want to defend my life with.

A few weeks ago I was looking at ammo manufacturers web-sites regarding .32 ACP cartridges for my Kel-Tec P-32.
    Of eight ammo manufacturers only five had test barrel info listed along with the ballistics.
    Proudly Clinging to my Guns and Bible

Constitution of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
    Article I, Section 21, "The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned"

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

OMG ! Back in the old days , they blew a hole thru you with a lead round ball, you were still just as dead . They just had more smoke .
    OD*, msgt/ret, Doogie and 1 others like this.

OP if you are looking for ammo that will work well in your European gun you will probably need to buy ammo loaded to European spec.
    There spec ammo is about 100 fps faster than American spec ammo. I have a few European guns and none of them shoot well with American ammo. If you compare the Fiocchi or S&B ammo to Winchester or Remington you will see what I mean. Good Luck DR
    ShooterGranny and AzQkr like this.

Your conundrum, Archie, is with labeling, not advertising.

But I like specifics.
    Which is why I'm shopping for a bullet chronograph.

We are human beings. We give meaning to the world whether we like it or not.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

Sponsor
    Back in the old days, ammunition came in boxes and the makers put the velocity on the box

I cannot find any manufacturer specific information or expectation about velocity versus barrel length.

Nothing has changed in 100 years, I see no reason to expect any change to begin listing each bullet weight from each barrel length of their product.

I'm not as concerned about advertised vs actual velocities as I am understanding that bullets drop at various ranges [ as in the case of my 308/762x51 m1a ].
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post
    Back in the old days, ammunition came in boxes and the makers put the velocity on the box. Nowadays, ammo still comes in boxes, but without the stats. However, the websites for the makers usually will have some 'claim' of velocity if one cares to look.

Does that mean anything?

I have a number of (old) .32 Automatic pistols.
    My first reply didn't specifically address 32 auto.
    He ya go:

For the 32 auto they use code MC for Mouse gun Caliber
    OD*, RebelSoul, halem1 and 1 others like this.
    The minimum is not what I want to defend my life with.

For your .32 ACP, try Underwood Cavitators. They're suppose to be penetrator with great expansion.

If you want to compare velocities you can email the manufacturer and ask what their test barrel was. I don't know if all will answer but I have emailed Underwood ammo twice to ask what length barrel they used to get velocity for a certain bullet and both times they responded within 48 hours with the answer.
    Bad Bob likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Back in the old days, ammunition came in boxes and the makers put the velocity on the box

I cannot find any manufacturer specific information or expectation about velocity versus barrel length.

Nothing has changed in 100 years, I see no reason to expect any change to begin listing each bullet weight from each barrel length of their product.

I'm not as concerned about advertised vs actual velocities as I am understanding that bullets drop at various ranges [ as in the case of my 308/762x51 m1a ].
    I once had the opportunity to hear a 12 ga slug sizzling toward me. I used an old fat oak for cover and heard the slug plonk into the dead leaves as it hit the ground about 15 feet past me. Boy would I have been pissed if that thing had hit me in the eye! Ouch!
    Bad Bob and AzQkr like this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

It's a lot cheaper (and quicker) to change info on a website, than paper labels on boxes. In an era when everyone has a mini computer in their pocket, you can just look it up on the manufacturers website.

I will agree that test barrel lengths need to be stated, and are often not. Best would be test barrel data, and also data from shorter barrels more akin to conceal carry sidearms.
    The number of people killed because they didn't have "enough gun" is dwarfed by those who had none at all.

Sam’s Bullet Box

If n i could do something like this in my backyard i would.

Sam’s bullet box tells a 9mm story …

Before setting out to run a few demonstrations in Sam’s Bullet Box — in fact before I even bought my first 9mm — I consulted my handgun coach. He told an interesting, if unpleasant story, of a police officer and a 9mm. The bad guy was holed-up in a trailer. The lawmen broke the door open from the bottom. The officer stuck his head in. A man with a shotgun took aim. CLICK! Before Mr. Criminal could rack a round into battery, the officer fired one round from his 9mm. Not to be grim — but the bullet entered under left arm, traveled through chest, destroyed the “pump,” and exited under the right arm. “That would not have been the case in times past,” my mentor told me. “Today’s 9mm high-power ammunition is far deadlier than ever. So don’t worry about switching.” Fine, but as the Russians say, Trust but verify.

Deadly Nine ? Or Ninesense?American Handgunner | American Handgunner
    “He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose.”

― Jim Elliot

Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post
    This has been drifting through my alleged mind for some time. Bad Bob's thread about 'Efficiency' pushed me over the top.

Does that mean anything?

I have a number of (old) .32 Automatic pistols. Nearly all the manufacturers claim a velocity of 900 fps (or so) with a 71 grain FMC bullet. None of my pistols clock that fast. I have a couple (French MAB pistols) that do in the upper 800s and the rest are less. A couple in the 600s.

From "Ballistics by the Inch" their information shows a minimum four inch barrel to reach 900 fps. Most .32 ACP pistols have barrels of around three to three and a half inches.

Rifles have the same problem. A .308 Winchester round does not clock as much velocity from an eighteen inch barrel as a twenty-six. But I cannot find any manufacturer specific information or expectation about velocity versus barrel length.

Okay, perhaps this doesn't really mean anything. Most folks will find a load or a commercial loading they like, sight the rifle in and go forth.

But I like specifics.
    Even different gun/barrels will give different velocities. I have seen snubbies lose less velocity than some 4" barrels. It can be frustrating.
    AzQkr likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
    Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
    Amen

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    "Back in the old days, ammunition came in boxes and the makers put the velocity on the box. Nowadays, ammo still comes in boxes, but without the stats"

Just like in the old days:

May as well use a 40.......
    Dave909 and Mike1956 like this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
    Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
    Amen

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links