Test: .38 snub amunition

This is a discussion on Test: .38 snub amunition within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We tested some .38 Special ammo in wet newspaper covered with two layers of blue jean denim. I haven't actually photographed this stuff before, so ...

Thread: test: .38 snub amunition

test: .38 snub amunition

We tested some .38 Special ammo in wet newspaper covered with two layers of blue jean denim. I haven't actually photographed this stuff before, so bear with me. Left to right: a 110gr non +P Silvertip, a +P DPX, a 148 gr HBWC loaded backwards (not sure of the powder or charge), a 110gr non +P Remington, and a 125gr +P Remington. Check the pics out, I'll wait here...

We also tested a 147gr +P+ Hydra Shok, but that's in another set of pics. Zero expansion from that one from the 2". Note the large plug of denim in the 125gr JHP. test revolver was a plain old model 442 S&W, range about 3 feet.

I've not done much picture or camera work, so a friend helped me with these. I'll be working on a few more, so please let me know if you find this stuff useful. I know it's not scientific, I don't pretend to be, but shooting stuff is fun, and I'll gladly take requests.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

Would love to see Buffalo Bore 158 gr. L.S.W.C.H.P (standard pressure & +P)...

If we can cross paths here in FL I'll donate a few rounds of .38 Special Double Tap 125 gr +P. It's a Gold Dot bullet and is hitting over 1000 FPS out of a snub. Still manageable though for me.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Buffalo Bore Standard Pressure test
    http://www.brassfetcher.com/Buffalo%...%20SWC-HC.html

coach

If it's a 442 then we should try the all too popular Speer Gold Dots in 135 grain.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    superhouse 15...
    thanks for the info, and especially for testing the 110 gr silvertip 38 special load. that is what i use, as it was recommended to me by our sheriff. i use it in a chief's special (SW model 36). it appears from your tests that it works pretty well. it does not shoot quite to point of aim, of course- it is too light for that. but for close up, it is fine. many people think the silvertip, especially in 38 special, is totally out of date these days, being an old design. but i believe the quality of this stuff is exceptional. i have had no failures, ever, of any sort.
    God Bless
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

recommended to me by our sheriff
    Uhhh not to start anything here...but that means what exactly?

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    sigsauer
    well, i know our sheriff personally, and took a handgun course from him (he offers it regularly), and he recommended win silvertip regular pressure ammo for my older SW model 36. so that is what i use. he is a gun collector of a sort and shoots older SW revolvers for fun. i guess i do not understand your question, or why it would involve starting anything??
    God Bless
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Assistant Administrator
    recommended to me by our sheriff
    I don't see a problem with that either! I'll bet a good many Sheriffs are sufficiently gun savy to have decided what they find the best ammo - and if, as here, the guy is a personal aquaintance then the recommendation would seem perfectly valid.

As for ''starting anything'' - I wonder just what was being insinuated !!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Short Barrel loads

I would love to try the .38 Gold Dot Short Barrel load, but everyplace we try to get them seems to be backordered. I have some in .45 and .357, so I'll be doing those soon. If anybody has a few to spare, send them along. The Buffalo Bore test site confused me. He says he tested LSWC, but mentions jacket fragments exiting the block of gel? He also tests JHP that he plugs with Superglue and cuts down and reloads XTPs that he pulls from factory ammo. Good stuff, anyway.

Back in the old days, the 110gr Silvertip and the 125gr Nyclad were the only standard pressure .38 loads around in a JHP. If you look close at the picture, you can see the uneven expansion of the STHP. I've seen that a lot with some of the lower powered Silvertips (.32, .380, .38) Lots of evidence of tumbling. I don't consider that a failure, I'd consider it excellent. If you include the 147gr +P+ Hydra Shok we tested (not shown, 0 expansion) and remove the 148gr wadcutter upside down (a "trick" reload probably making 700FPS) I'd call the Silvertip the winner of all these tested. Certainly better than the much more popular 125gr JHP +P load. I have some of my Nyclad stockpile in a gun I don't shoot +P in, but I'd use the Silvertip with no problems if I had to.

My assistant and I disagreed about the denim at first when we were setting up this test. We decided to go with it as a worst case kind of deal. I'd be satisfied with one layer of T shirt cotton, if you live in Montana, you'd probably like to see more layers (if you live in NJ, you probably don't care about JHPs) But, as unscientific as it is, it's repeatable and easy to do.

Next test, do Hydra Shoks really snag cloth and wind it up around the post, clogging the JHP?

I looked for the 135 GDSBs for my 442 but they were out too. I ended up with some 130 +P SXTs that shot fine. If they don't expand, they'll just penetrate better.

Austin

Links