.357 Snubby effectiveness v. controllability

This is a discussion on .357 Snubby effectiveness v. controllability within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ghost tracker +1 on the SP101 w/3.06" barrel. Add a Hogue Monogrip you can shoot just about any .357 Mag load with ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .357 Snubby effectiveness v. controllability

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    +1 on the SP101 w/3.06" barrel. Add a Hogue Monogrip you can shoot just about any .357 Mag load with little concern for recoil or follow-up speed.
    Put a Hogue on thr Taurus 605 today. Haven't shot it yet, but I like the pinkie support, better natural point, and the speedloader works better.

Thanks for the suggestion...

2. Remove Ads

My wife is a small woman. She carries a model 60 with 357 mags. She is an excellent shot. If she can handle it, I'm sure that with some practice you can too!!

girlfriend has a .357 mag revolver

My girlfriend , a 5ft 4 woman. has a .357 meg revolver i purchased for her. I have it for home defense, after her and I going to the range several times, I put her on 125 grain for less recoil. The reason I bought a magnum was for the added weight and less recoil for her. :) but i plan on running some magnums thru it (me shooting) just for grins. With the higher grain the pistol did recoil ALOT and that worried me about her. I have several 40's i dearly love and would never let get away.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick H View Post
    My wife is a small woman. She carries a model 60 with 357 mags. She is an excellent shot. If she can handle it, I'm sure that with some practice you can too!!

Not to start a "flame war" but bear in mind, most of today's loads in 357 Magnum are "reduced" loads from the original.

When I was complaining of .357 Magnum being a handful in a snubbie I was referring to the "full house" loads of yesteryear.

What load is your wife shooting in her snubbie, what are her split times between shots and how accurate is she? I think you should be able to put 5 rounds in 5 inches from 5 feet starting with a holstered and concealed gun.

I wasn't able to do that with my 357 snubbie using "full house" loads, so I switched guns. I can do that consistantly with my 38 Special. I can also do that with a 4" 357 Magnum using "full house" loads.

Biker

If I ever get attacked by a 5 inch assailant, I'll just stomp his little ***.

Ribber Grips that fit....maybe even a little large.

Squeeze the grips hard during all defense shooting .. point shoot out to 20 ft.

Magna port to reduce muzzle flip and some recoil with minimum loss of fps...debatable with some folks on a defensive HG.

LEARN to enjoy shooting and controlling the Big Dogs ... then everything else will be a cakewalk.
    Old testament....Shooting to Live 1942
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...ng_to_live.pdf
    Newer testament... Kill or Get Killed 1976/1987
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...Get_Killed.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Not to start a "flame war" but bear in mind, most of today's loads in 357 Magnum are "reduced" loads from the original.

When I was complaining of .357 Magnum being a handful in a snubbie I was referring to the "full house" loads of yesteryear.

What load is your wife shooting in her snubbie, what are her split times between shots and how accurate is she? I think you should be able to put 5 rounds in 5 inches from 5 feet starting with a holstered and concealed gun.

I wasn't able to do that with my 357 snubbie using "full house" loads, so I switched guns. I can do that consistantly with my 38 Special. I can also do that with a 4" 357 Magnum using "full house" loads.

Biker
    She practices with 38+P. She will also shoot some of her "carry ammo" each time we practice.

Her "carry ammo" is Winchester 357 mag 145gr Silvertips

We shoot at 7 Yards for practice. She puts 5 shots in 5 inches most of the time. She does not practice rapid fire, although it is not very long between shots. I've never timed her.

I have a 605SS with the 3-inch barrel. Though I shoot .38 loads on the range, I bought high power Fed Hydrashoks in .357 for carry.

Ouch!

With some practice, I can now handle the recoil better. But, I feel more confident with 130gr GDHP.

My suggestion would be to work up to shooting .38 +p on the range. Then try one of the low recoil rounds. I like the Gold Dot. I've also bought a box of Corbon DPX (nice stats!) but haven't shot them yet.

I think its important to find the best premium defensive round you can afford and handle with confidence. I don't expect to be shooting through armour plating at 150 yards with my 605 so I think I'll be ok with medium power rounds.

Just my two.

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    +1 on gold dot shorts

Maybe I'm just glutton for punishment, but I'm still working my way through different loads for my 605 snubbie. So far at the distance I "plan" on using it the recoil is not issue for me and I'm a small guy.

I've seen alot of people at the range trying to hit targets from a distance with snubies, 15ft + and yelling about how they can't hit anything. =)

-Alex

I've also seen people with long barreld, high dollar target pistols that couldn't hit the paper reliably at 7 yards.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    I have no problem carrying .357 in my S&W 340. Practicing with it is, well, interesting, but if I can put five shots in an eight inch diameter in COM at 15 feet then that is much better than a one inch group. And if I don't get the muzzle down and a shot or two drifts into the neck or head...

I have been carrying the XD alot more these days.

Administrator
    The .357 snub is controllable once you learn to take control of it.
    An average and modestly determined adult can handle a .357 snub even in air-weight and shoot it decently accurately.
    Good hand fitting grips and a good firm, high grip on the revolver make a huge difference.
    Once when one shooter made a comment that it felt like his hand was getting slapped with a yardstick...I said:
    "So What...nobody ever slapped your hand before? Get used to it...you'll survive."
    You WILL get used to it. Practice.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator

Thumbs up

First shop around for good grips.
    It's also extremely important for the shooter to develop very good grip AKA finger strength in order to get decently quick follow-up shots with an air-weight .357.
    Shooting using Dynamic Tension helps also.
    Which would be pushing forward with your gun hand while simultaneously pulling to the rear with the support hand in order to achieve a tensioned equilibrium.
    You'll know what I'm talking about as soon as you try it.

Also...buy a Gripmaster.

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tuttleje View Post
    Try the .357 Gold Dot 135 grain Short Barrel rounds if you want an effective, but controllable, magnum round.

I carry them in a S&W Model 360.

I also carry these in a 340SC

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links