What Brand of Ammo Do You Stockpile?

This is a discussion on What Brand of Ammo Do You Stockpile? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When you buy ammo to save for a rainy day, do you buy the good stuff like Corbon, Gold Dot etc... or target stuff like ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Brand of Ammo Do You Stockpile?

What Brand of Ammo Do You Stockpile?

When you buy ammo to save for a rainy day, do you buy the good stuff like Corbon, Gold Dot etc... or target stuff like WWB or is there something else more suitable?

I was thinking about getting 1000 rds for each firearm, and just storing it in case it ever becomes hard to get.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I buy WWB or S&B whatever I can get in bulk and is cheap.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

In the past I'd found very good online deals buying CCI Blazer Brass, but lately I've found WWB at Walmart to be the best deals. My last buy was about 400 9mm WWB.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Assistant Administrator
    Brand? Hmmmm .......

Right now much of my ''stock'' is P95 manufacture! Particularly .38/.357, .223, and larger stuff.

Otherwise, 9mm is WWB or American Eagle for practice ..... WWB for .45 acp. 7.62x39 is Wolf, and 8mm, 7.62x54R and .303 is milsurp. .308 is mainly Aus' but some Portugese still remains.

I was lucky at a gunshow coupla years ago to secure a 1,000 124 GD's +P - so am still well covered for carry ammo as I use only small amounts for practice when needed.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Both

I keep some stockpiled JHP or premium stuff and store it with some spare magazines for my most frequently carried CCWs. In addition to the good stuff, I keep just whatever happens to be good and cheap. For example, I have some MTM 50 round boxes stored ful of TAP or Gold Dot 9mm and store them with 3 15 round Glock 19 magazines each. Lets me grab and go quick for my 19 or my girlfriend's 26. 50 rounds of .45 and six 8 round 1911 magazines does the same thing. Everything else is just stored in old ammo cans.
    Last edited by Superhouse 15; September 23rd, 2007 at 06:05 PM. Reason: typo

I am my own manufacturer when it comes to "stash" ammo. With 3,000 rounds of 9mm and 2500 rounds of .223 (at last count) I think I am close to a "comfortable amount". I will put my ammo against any commercial ammo currently on the market for accuracy and effectiveness. I take the time to do it right, not just "fill boxes for shipment".

As for "Freshness", I shoot at least 1,000 rounds of 9mm and 500 rounds of .223 each month and reload as necessary. Nothing like rotating your stock.
    ""If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, I either won't need more or, more won't help me.""

I stockpile 200 gr. 44-40 cast lead and jsp, 158 gr .357 cast lead and jsp, 240 gr .44 mag jsp and cast lead, 230 gr .45 fmj, 90 or 105 gr 9mm/.380 fmj, various caliber speer gold dot jhp, a few pounds of powder, and a few thousand primers in various sizes these will become my own "house brand" of ammo like P95

a thousand or so .22 long rifle in various brands, a few hundred rifle rounds in .270, 30.06, 32 win special, and 35 remmington of different brands and I try to keep a thousand or so 7.62x39 of wolf ammo.

I haven't bought shotgun ammo in such a long time I don't even know what I have of it. But somewhere is a couple of cases of 16 gauge and various boxes of 20 and 12 gauge don't remember who the maker is.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    brand depends on the caliber, but I usually go cheap and in-bulk, but not bottom of the barrel (ie, no Wolf).

.223 - Remington UMC or Monarch
    .308 - Federal American Eagle, Remington UMC, Monarch
    .40/.45 - Remington Green-Box for JHP, Winchester White-Box for target ammo
    .22LR - Federal Bulk or Remington Golden Bullet
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

1,000 rounds humm....

Armature, couple of K of wolfs for plinking when I do not want to pick up the Mt's then quite a few more but mostly reloads for the serious stuff like hunting and precision target. CCW I only use commercial stuff and no where as many rounds due to the fact the stuff is close to a buck a round.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Wolf .223 and WWB .40 S&W. Buy it cheap and stack it deep!

80% - WWB FMJ
    20% - Speer Gold Dot +p GDHP
    Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.--SHOOTER

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    I am my own manufacturer when it comes to "stash" ammo. With 3,000 rounds of 9mm and 2500 rounds of .223 (at last count) I think I am close to a "comfortable amount". I will put my ammo against any commercial ammo currently on the market for accuracy and effectiveness. I take the time to do it right, not just "fill boxes for shipment".

As for "Freshness", I shoot at least 1,000 rounds of 9mm and 500 rounds of .223 each month and reload as necessary. Nothing like rotating your stock.
    I'm jealous of that much shooting.

I tend to buy stuff to get the brass because its more cost effective for me that way, but most of my stash are my own reloads like some others in this thread.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    I only stockpile target ammo. More "bang" for the buck!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

DRT
    I have stock piles of Ranger T and HST for pistol. Hornady TAP for Rifle.

I got a good price on Georgia Arms 357SIG FMJ and GD, and stocked up. It shoots a little hotter than Speer, but, at the price, I couldn't resist. Mmm....I'm looking forward to using it up.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links