.40 S&w - Page 3

.40 S&w

This is a discussion on .40 S&w within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The point of posting that link was not for the Glock content, it was for the reference of the OAL of the .40 cartridge and ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: .40 S&w

The point of posting that link was not for the Glock content, it was for the reference of the OAL of the .40 cartridge and the length of the 180gr. bullets causing increased chamber pressures in the event of bullet setback due to the cramped confines of the cartridge case. Green included the Glock kaboom issue to add validity to the original proposition of the article. So much for your reading comprehension skills.

There's a saying that arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics...

Question Skills

triggertime, it sure is funny how some people can only argue by insulting others. Usual sign of one having trouble with one's position.

You may reply if you want...but I won't.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Triggertime no personal attacks take this as your First and only warning

I shoot an XD40 service model. I use 180gr for volume shooting, and keep the 135 gr. Hydrashocks loaded at home.

You'll like the XD40--I've run a ton of rounds through it without a hiccup, and it's very comfortable to shoot.

I've put more than 2K 180 gr handloads through my P-16 with nary a hiccup.

I actually did have a problem initially with setback, but got a replacement sizer die from RCBS that was .0005 "undersized" and that solved the problem. I didn't fire any that setback, I discovered it when hand cycling my first batch of reloads and tore them down.

Originally they were a little hot; 185 PF, now I've got them toned-down to 170 as I've gained experience in IPSC.

I chose 180 over 165 gr bullets because the POI/POA worked better in my gun.
    If you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes.

I'd not want to get hit with either one of those rounds coming at me. I shot my USP with both, and expreienced good results from both loads. I think, though I'd prefer the 165s due to the velocity factor.

Federal and CCI/Speer are the same company. The best ammo they produce, hands down, is Federal High Shok Tactical (HST) marked law enforcement only-not to be confused w/ Hydra-shok.(spelling is correct) The " law enforcement only" means nothing. Anyone can get them, although I've been turned down by a fewfoolish ammo dealers. The HST was to compete with Winchester Talons, and they bury Winchester according to trials, tests, & studys.

Assistant Administrator
    Federal and CCI/Speer are the same company.
    Had not realized that - in which case it is strange that there are the two extremes of primers.!

CCI branded have always been notoriously ''hard'' - the Fed's relatively ''soft'' - and I have chosen those latter for reloading for that reason.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I like 155 gr loads. I like muzzle energy and several 155 gr loadings hit 500 ft/lbs or better.

i use CorBon 150 but I'm pretty sure most CorBon carriers use 135 instead. shoot 180 for recreation

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    My vote would be the Winchester Ranger ammo. The 180 grain SXT .40 cal to be exact.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

VIP Member
    My vote is for Corbon DPX. It's a little expensive but so was my SIG!

40 S&W 140 GR. DPX 1200 FPS/ 448 FTLBS
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    I use something less than 180 because my owners manual states use 180's at max 985 FPS that way I do not worry about it. In the pipe I carry a155 TAP and pw r balls in the mag.

Whatever you carry, don't just rely on Sanow and Marshalls opinions. There are major discrepancies in the data they present. Check out Firearmstactical.com/wound.htm (wound ballistics) By the way ft/lbs looks good on paper but in the physical world things change,i.e., they're not everything. First off a light bullet excels faster thus more ft/lbs since velocity x velocity x grains divided by 450,436=ft/lbs. It can also be slowed just as easily through lack of momentum. By the way, 200 ft/lbs is how much energy it takes to move a 1lb object 200 ft. A 150gr rnd @2700fps generating 2428ft/lbs, hitting a 200lb object, should be thrown 12 feet! Even if the friction of ground or elasticity of tissue compensated, we still see nothing like that. To get a bit closer to reality, try momentum(Grains divide by 7,000 X velocity). The 150 grain bullet has a terminal momentum of 52.02ft/lbs sec. This would move the 200lb target 3.1 inches in 1 sec. Thats more like it. Hats off to angelfire.com
    Last edited by MattXYZ; September 17th, 2006 at 02:32 PM.

my brain hurts

40 is the round most of my carry guns are chambered in. I've never given too much thought about my SD rounds. Sticking to 165 grain Federal or Cor-bon.

I've thought that:

*less grains implies the bullet travels faster (cause it is lighter) and the recoil is less
    more grains implies the bullet travels slower (cause it is heavier)and recoil is more
    *The bullet w/ more grains, aka heavier, is a better choice than a lighter bullet.

Recently I have switched to Winchester Ranger 180 Grain SXT and am happy w/ the way my guns shoot w/ it. 3.5" 4" and 4.5" barrels.

I see numbers in a CDNN catalog about the Ranger
    155 Grain 1195 FPS -- 491 FT / LB
    180 Grain 1015 FPS -- 411 FT / LB

And reading this thread, I am confused and second guessing my assumptions.

Could someone clearly explain to me, all other things being equal, the effects of the two Ranger bullets (or any other 2 different grained 40S&W bullets) I mentioned wrt recoil on shooter, effectiveness (and what you meain, more effective due to heavier bullet, etc. ..), effectiveness related to barrel length.

I would be thankful.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links