.40 S&w - Page 5

.40 S&w

This is a discussion on .40 S&w within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 165 or 180 grain Federal Tactical Hydra-Shoks or Speer Gold Dots are the cat's meow... Here in MD the State police are issued 180 Grain ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: .40 S&w

165 or 180 grain Federal Tactical Hydra-Shoks or Speer Gold Dots are the cat's meow... Here in MD the State police are issued 180 Grain Winchester JHP's (Standard White Box) to be fired from their GLOCK 22's. I'm sure that any of the heavier bullets fired from a 4-5 inch .40 S&W will take the fight out of the "Bad Guy" if the shot is placed in center mass.

Quote Originally Posted by killnbucks View Post
    165 or 180 grain Federal Tactical Hydra-Shoks or Speer Gold Dots are the cat's meow... Here in MD the State police are issued 180 Grain Winchester JHP's (Standard White Box) to be fired from their GLOCK 22's. I'm sure that any of the heavier bullets fired from a 4-5 inch .40 S&W will take the fight out of the "Bad Guy" if the shot is placed in center mass.
    Wow, I'm a little suprised that MD state police are issued standard winchester JHP's. I have the winchester ranger sxt 180 grain, and am happy w/ them. I guess they have their reasons to go w/ winchester white box jhp.

fbi ballistic tests:
    165 gs-expands 15" through gel and clothed gel is 16"
    165 hshoks-18' gel andnclothes is 19.4"
    rem gs-180-gel- an clothed is 21"
    pretty amazing i think..
    bullets expanded overall between .51 and .71.not bad
    io have head that corb-on 135 gr are outstanding. 'low muzzle flash.recoil but lightning speeds of around 1420 vel.
    check them out!!!!!gs seemes to be rated hight by fbi testing for both oentrationa and expansion. niot much stopping these things.

als oheard that hornady pd are hot also...

why do bullets penetrate further with clothed gel?? the resistance?

stugotz - thanks for the penetration and expansion data. Is there any on the winchest ranger sxt? Or more importantly, do you have a url to share on this?

Now the decision as to penetration/expansion v. ft/lb energy. more and more decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by stugotz View Post
    why do bullets penetrate further with clothed gel?? the resistance?
    Theoretically it's because the hollow of the JHP round gets clogged with clothing and doesnt expand properly. This makes it act more like a FMJ round and allows for greater penetration.

Watch them Glock 22's... I saw one blow almost in half. I'm done with those DAO things.

Quote Originally Posted by MattXYZ View Post
    Watch them Glock 22's... I saw one blow almost in half. I'm done with those DAO things.
    What does a Glock "kaboom" have to do w/ DAO handguns? Now if you mentioned unsupported barrels, reloads and bullet setback, I could see it being relevant. Not sure what point you are trying to make about DAO actions being relevant to 40 S&W ballistics.

My local gun range has a Colt Python that KaBoom'd into 5 seperate pieces, 2 of which are the split in half cylinder... So from this we can determine that one should "watch out" for those .357 Mag Pythons... or should we in reality say "watch out for double loaded cartridges"?

The myth that Glocks Kb more than other guns is (1) because all the Glock haters are frantically trying to document every one, and (2) the cause 99.9% of the time is an overloaded round, as well as the fact that(3) there are probably more Glock .40 S&W in (hard) use than most other manufacturers combined.

The 180's have been known to blow apart glock 23 internals. Check out how many rebuilt G23's are on the market! I'm not knocking Glock at all...it's my gun of choice---But I am a G19 guy.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Hi Guys,

New to this forum...but here are some pics of a little testing I did with my XD-40.

Winchester Ranger SXT 165gr.

Remington Golden Saber 165gr.

Personally, I prefer the Winchesters, but hey, thats just my .02 cents.

My personal $0.02 worth. I like the Winchester 155gr Silvertip HP's. All the numbers I've seen for both the Morgue Monsters and the Jello Junkies show this as a good performing round, and I've been very happy with it's 9mm cousin over the years in my Browning Hi-Power (although no actual defensive shooting results, thank goodness).

I'm currrently function checking it in my new .40S&W BHP and so far so good (approx 100 rounds). It's going slowly until I hit 200 or so rounds due to expense.

Which is one other advantage of the STHP's: Locally (Gander Mtn) Win STHP's go for about $37/50 vs about $20 for 20 of the Federal and Remington combat ammo, so it's more economical. (although if it didn't look like a good performer I wouldn't worry about the price of the other rounds, for instance my .45ACP load is the Federal 230gr Hydrashoks which fall in the 20 for $20 range)
    Randy
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I like my Hornady TAP for the XD40 4". It is rated at 1180 FPS and 479 lb/ft at the muzzle (4" barrel). The heavier weight 180gr TAP is rated at 950 FPS/361 lb/ft. When compared to the .45ACP TAP 200gr, which comes in at 1055 FPS/494 lb/ft from a 5" barrel (950/461 for the 230gr), I feel this is probably the best energy delivery out of this caliber in a factory load. Cor-Bon DPX 140gr comes in at 1200 FPS/448 lb/ft, and would probably be my second choice if I can't restock on TAP. Besides that, it runs about $16-$17 per box of 20.
    Last edited by Chooie; October 29th, 2006 at 06:34 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links