7.62 Ball Ammo on Coyote?

This is a discussion on 7.62 Ball Ammo on Coyote? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi All, I'm having trouble finding any softpoint 7.62x54R locally. I just picked up 100 rounds of Brown Bear 185gr spitzer. I'm wondering how a ...

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar

Hi All,

I'm having trouble finding any softpoint 7.62x54R locally.

I just picked up 100 rounds of Brown Bear 185gr spitzer.

I'm wondering how a .30-06 class round performs on coyote sized varmints with FMJ ammo. I'm stuck with it until I find (or, maybe just this time, order from the 'net) some softpoint.

I wouldn't use it on deer, but shooting a water jug vaporized quite a bit of it, and showed energy transfer at least equal to at least a good 9mm expanding round.

I'm thinking hydrostatic shock may come into play here. It's something I dismissed long ago, but I hadn't done anything extensive with rounds running around 3000fps yet either.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Josh <><

Assistant Administrator
    showed energy transfer at least equal to at least a good 9mm expanding round.
    These are apples and oranges!! Any fast 30 cal, even ball ammo will have much more available energy - like comparing a 9mm at say 300 ft lbs with a 2,700fps 165 grainer yielding 2,600 ft lbs region. Certainly an expansive 9mm will appear pretty disruptive at closer ranges on a water jug.

Ball will tend to be ''thru-and-thru'' often but still able to get the job done ... SP's would dump better but with considerable disruption in an critter that small (relatively). A thoracic hit with ball on a 'yote will I'd expect - still stop it pretty fast.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    Josh I believe that Chris is right,

Heavy ball from a 7.62x54R would be very effective on a coyote
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Senior Moderator
    Actually, the 7.62 x54r is closer to a .308 than an ought-six but in the real world it dont matter.

The round is probably around 25-2650 FPS.

You could launch a marble or a stick or a rock at 2500 FPS and kill anything it hits.

Coyotes are thin skinned. I've killed a slew of them with a .22. That 7.62 FMJ will be no contest.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Any rifle round with that kind of velocity is going to be a thru shot anyway on a coyote, then shortly after it goes through the critter will die. I have yet to shoot a deer in the neck or side through the heart/lungs, even with soft point ammo in a 30.06 not have it go completely through the deer.

When you have 100 to 200 grains of lead, even if not fully jacketed, traveling at 2000 to 3000 fps, it takes a lot to stop it.

Take the shot and you will find out.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Thanks all.

P95, I didn't mean to imply that the 9mm has anything on the main battle rifle cartridges. I only used the illustration of a full energy dump from a 9mm in a milk jug to show that it was only a fraction of the rifle's. In other words, I know expanding 9mm takes coyote down just fine, and I fully expected to get jumped for wanting to use FMJ of any sort on an animal. All I was illustrating was that I believe it will do the job just fine.

Thanks,

Josh <><

I fully expected to get jumped for wanting to use FMJ of any sort on an animal.
    Why? Shot placement is far more important than soft point vs FMJ, as far as humane take-down is concerned..
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by General Geoff View Post
    Why? Shot placement is far more important than soft point vs FMJ, as far as humane take-down is concerned..
    I agree placement and peneration are what counts, Expansion just helps placement if peneration is not a problem
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

For the same reasons most states mandate expanding ammo for deer. Quicker takedown and more damage.

I may just forego softpoint for good if the spitzers do the job. We can sell fur here when it's in season and I don't want to ruin the price of the pelt.

Thanks,

Josh <><

Administrator
    You might just do that Josh with that large of a round. As already said, they are thin skinned. I started shooting them years ago with a .303, it did some damage to the pelt. I wouldnt worry to much about using ball with a .30, it will do a plenty good job provided you do yours.
    I then switched to .22mag when I could get them close enough. I then moved on to .223. That seems to be the happy medium for me.

What distance do you think you will be shooting them at?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I have a friend who shoots rabbits with a 25-06, and it is pretty much overkill (in his words "turns them into fur balloons). I believe he shoots hollowpoints or spitzers. You should be fine with what you are using.

Links