Relatively low time shooter needs SD ammo advice

This is a discussion on Relatively low time shooter needs SD ammo advice within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I and my wife both shoot SIG 22X series handguns, my wife has a 226 for home defense and I now carry a 228. I ...

Thread: Relatively low time shooter needs SD ammo advice

Relatively low time shooter needs SD ammo advice

I and my wife both shoot SIG 22X series handguns, my wife has a 226 for home defense and I now carry a 228. I have only fired maybe 2k rounds in my life, my wife has shot even less.

I am looking for some advice on what ammo I should be looking at as the local shop only has (and so pushes only one kind of 9mm ammo - a FMJ off-brand).

Firstly from all I have read both hear and talking with friends in the protection field, I was told a jacketed hollow-point was the only way to go for a SD round. I am looking for rounds with minimal recoil/muzzle flash but good balance in stopping power / performance.

I appreciate and look forward to your responses.

Rich in FL

2. Remove Ads

Ammo

JHP is the only way to go for SD ammo. Any of the major brands and styles of JHP should be fine in a quality gun like your's. Pick what you like from Subsonic to +P and test fire a few boxes just to make sure you don't have some odd problem or incompatibility. Most of the premium stuff is low flash. The hotter the load (IE +P or +P+) and the heavier the bullet, the more it will kick. There's plenty of ammo opinions here and people make good arguments for bonded subsonic ammo, high speed frangible, and everything in between. Just sit back and wait, you'll get plenty of opinions in a few minutes...Most of my CCW 9mm ammo is Federal 124gr Hydra Shok.

Jacketed hollow point is really the only way to go. The most important thing for you is that the ammo functions in your gun. Don't just assume it will work, run a few boxes to prove that it does.
    In 9mm, Speer Gold Dot has a few options. Federal Personal Defense are good too. If you cant find them locally, dont be afraid to order some. Midwayusa.com has a tremendous selection.

winchester Ranger T-series (politicly correct verious of the infamous black talon) or federal HST never had a problem with either and have used them for a while, all though i was instructed by a very well trained member of the secret service Speer gold gots were up there as well. try what works best for you
    A second more, might just be a second to late...

Check your e-mail, Rich
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Administrator
    Federal Premium® Personal Defense®
    (Featuring Hydra-Shok® bullets)
    We hope you'll never have to use our Premium® Personal Defense® ammunition in a critical situation.
    But if you do, you'll appreciate the increased muzzle velocity and energy compared to standard loads, and the rapid bullet expansion that delivers instant stopping power.
    You'll also appreciate that recoil is significantly reduced.
    In addition, our unique clear packaging lets you see the ammo before you even open the box.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    Federal Classic 115grn (c9bp product code) would be my first choice for someone who doesn't shoot much at all.

One step below that would be 124grn Gold Dot standard pressure. The reason this is my second choice is because it doesn't feed as easily as the Federal Classic, wich has almost a hardball profile.

Josh <><

Buffalo Bore (sorry I know I talk alot about them haha) makes 9mm +p and +p+ ammunition its one of the few I know that uses flash suppressed gun powder. If your not worried about the flash I'd go with Federal Hydro-Shocks.

+1 on making sure it works consistently in your firearm. Hollow points are preferred if for no other reason they reduce the chance of ricochet.

Thanks all for the advice, and for those who PMed me as several did here are the answers to the questions: (I was asked by several people to give the features important to me)

1. Low muzzle flash (low light firing is high on my list)

2. Good stopping power with limited through and through shots (worries of hitting the target but also hitting a second person)

3. Limited recoil (if possible, as I know I can try to deal with the recoil, but less recoil is always better for follow-up shots)

Really thats about it, I have been looking at the Glasers (blue or silver still not sure) or Cor-Bon BeeSafe but using either as practice rounds is cost prohibitive, so I would have to find someone to make practice rounds of the same power. I plan to fire 100-150 rnds 2x a month minimum (and the same for my wife) and I don't think most would/could justify that kind of money for practice outside of a military/LEO/security operator.

Links