Double Tap or DPX?

This is a discussion on Double Tap or DPX? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm thinking of changing from Speer Gold Dot ammo to Double Tap or DPX in my 9mm, 357 Sig and .45 ACP. Both brands appear ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Double Tap or DPX?

Question Double Tap or DPX?

I'm thinking of changing from Speer Gold Dot ammo to Double Tap or DPX in my 9mm, 357 Sig and .45 ACP. Both brands appear to be highly regarded. Which do you guys reccommend and why?

Thanks,

2. Remove Ads

I would love to see some comparisons in different calibers. In .380 the DPX went deeper than the DT Gold Dot in a wetpack test.

DT available in Stores?

Is Double Tap available is stores or just via mail order? I've not seen it or even heard of it until recently.

Double tap is a very small ammo manufacturer. There quality control is top notch, and excellent customer service. There products are only available online, and will probably be that way for the foreseeable future.
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

CorBon's a relatively small manufacturer, but with a big manufacturer's presence. They have good-quality stuff. DoubleTap's a very small manufacturer that also has good-quality stuff. CorBon's recognized; mentioning DoubleTap often draws a blank stare. CorBon's available at the corner gun store, whereas DoubleTap's a special order thing.

I carry DoubleTap 9mm JHP Gold Dot 124gr +P. Bar none, it's the most reliable round I have found for my CZ P01 pistols. Nicely, it also performs very well, both penetrating and expanding sufficiently for my goals. Went through a large number of different rounds, when evaluating the correct match, for this gun. Next in line, in terms of reliability, was the Federal Hydrashok Tactical 9mm JHP 124gr +P+, but the DoubleTaps are smoother and have better round-to-round consistency in potency and cycling.

Have shot a half dozen different DT rounds. They all perform equally well, are as reliable and smooth-cycling.

Unless something better comes along, I won't have anything else.

My goals, more or less: Above 400 ft-lbs muzzle energy; above 1200 fps; decently reliable expansion; exceedingly reliable feeding in my specific carry guns. Not many options exist for ammo that exceeds the 400/1200 threshold. I found only two that are roughly that but feed so exceptionally well. Of those two, I've carried both, but the DT's greatly surpass the Federals for power and expansion (in my basic tests).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

DPX vs. Speer Gold Dot

Thanks for the input! I will probably stick with the Speer Gold Dot or go to the DPX. I will probably be cost prohibitive to ship Double Tap up here to Alaska. Heavy coats are usually worn 4-6 months a year. Is the DPX penetration much better than the Gold Dot?

Keep in mind that the DPX only comes in lighter bullet weights. Because copper is lighter than lead you can only get so much copper in there.

I went to the range the other day and shot a couple of boxes of DT 9mm +P 147gr through my Sig P239 and HK P2000SK w/o problems.

Not that it means a lot, but I did have a few old Corbon 115gr +P leftovers (probably ~20 yr old) and I fed them to the HK and I had some failures to feed correctly, even though I probably only had ~20rds.

The HK was new, unfired. There is some potential that all the glop they put in there caused problems, but I didn't have problems with any other rounds including the GD 147gr, DT 147gr +P and the Fed Hydroshock 147gr.

Before anyone gives me a hard time, I have a bunch of old Hydrashocks that are about this age and have never had problems feeding or firing in any firearm and I have shot quite a few of them since I had a fair amount.

Also, although non-quantified hearsay, I have heard a number of reports on the Internet of problems with Corbon stuff.

-john

I too, have heard of issues with CorBon (hangs, FTF, bullets not seated), but have always had dependable results. As for the DT, never heard anything negative and use both DT and DPX in all my 9mm's. XD's, PPS, Rami.
    However, I am close to supplier for both and I can "proof" in a variety of handgunns much cheaper with the DT than the DPX (or other CorBon's), so what would you bet your life on? Nuf said.

It's possible that the problems (if real) with CorBon have been fixed with the DPX. Admittedly, the stuff I had was pretty old.

-john

.380; 38+p; .357; 9mm; .40----DPX!

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar

+1 for Double Tap

I use Double Tap for my carry ammo. I chose the 200 gr in 40S&W. I have order from them about three different times and have been very satisfied. Shipment was prompt and product has been flawless.

It is too expensive for practice ammo, but for actual self defense, I don't worry about a little extra cost. I usually fire a mag full for each of my pistols each time I'm at the range (which for me is about every two months or so.) The ballistics for their ammo is quite superior to most commercial stuff.

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    The DT info here is spot on!. amazing stuff!!

www.doubletapammo.com
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!
    The year is young and another World Series championship awaits!

VIP Member
    DPX

VIP Member
    There's nothing wrong with Gold Dot and if that's all I had I wouldn't be concerned but... I honestly believe DPX isn't just better, I think it's the best! DPX is in all my CCWs!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I carry Speer Gold Dot in my .38spl and .45acp, Corbon DPX in my 9mm. I feel well armed with either of those rounds - and a few others as well: Rem. Golden Sabers, Fed. Hydra-shock, etc.. I haven't tried DT ammo yet but intend to soon, I'm thinking of trying them in 9mm and .380.
    Jack

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links