Double tap 9mm 147+p

Double tap 9mm 147+p

This is a discussion on Double tap 9mm 147+p within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was wondering if anyone used this ammo and what the general thoughts on 147 grain are in this forum. I've tried corbon and it's ...

Thread: Double tap 9mm 147+p

Double tap 9mm 147+p

I was wondering if anyone used this ammo and what the general thoughts on 147 grain are in this forum. I've tried corbon and it's not accurate in my gun (or I'm not accurate with it). I also am interested in penetration from a 147 grain. The +p is interesting in the 147 grain. I did at one time shoot hydrashock 135 grain with good results although I'm not a fan of hydrashock. Any info would be great. Thanks in advance.

sorry I dont shoot the 9 much but I have used Double Tap in 40 and 45 and was extremely happy with my results also look at Federals 147 gr. HST load it gets excellent reviews.
    Gun Control: What a long strange trip it's been

The 147 gr 9mm loads were developed I believe to increase penetration for FBI tests, but they didn't perform all that great in actual use in shootings - the higher velocity, lighter weight 9mm loads had better "street results".
    I know of some departments that use 115 gr +P hollow points and apparently they have good reputations for expansion and damage done. I personally like the Winchester Ranger T's 127 gr +P+ rounds - the "Law Enforcement Only" ammo that is loaded with the old "Black Talon" bullet (it's still the same bullet but without the black Lubox coating on it - a deadly bullet). I feel that this is a great 9mm solution - heavier than a 115gr so you get better penetration, excellent velocity with the +P+ load, and an extensively tested and refined hollow point bullet with wicked expansion.
    Plus- in my M&P 9c, they are 100% reliable and the most accurate round I've shot in it. And they don't seem to recoil any worse than a normal +P 9mm - just a "snappier" cycle.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Im not an ammophile , and have no experiance with 147+p nor do i care to . My true feeling is that you should pick any quality hp ammo that your pistol will feed and shoot well . Place them where you need to and dont worry about how they perform by any arbritairy standard of terminal ballistics , they will all be similar . Virtually all pistol ammo today is loaded to the " fbi " standard which in its self is suspect .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by vashooter View Post
    The 147 gr 9mm loads were developed I believe to increase penetration for FBI tests, but they didn't perform all that great in actual use in shootings - the higher velocity, lighter weight 9mm loads had better "street results".
    By that you mean 9mm 147gr , NOT 147gr +P, right? Any reports on 147gr +P?

Seems the DT 147gr +P is faster than the standard GD 124gr:

Double Tap 9mm 147gr +P (from G17)
    Muzzle 1135fps
    Muzzle 421ft lbs

Speer GD 9mm 124gr (4" test barrel)
    Muzzle 1150fps
    Muzzle 364ft lbs

-john

Edit: Oops, I see the G17 is 4.5" bbl. DT also lists the G19 which as a 4.02" bbl:

Double Tap 9mm 147gr +P (from G19)
    Muzzle 1120fps

Still about the same...

I've never really considered the 147 grain due to its slow velocity but I'm very interested in the +p round. 1120fps isn't to bad at all. The double tap 115 grain at 1400fps is eye catching. That for sure is comperable to the 357 sig and close to the 357 mag speed. I've just realized double tap existed now I'm seeking more info. I carry the hst federal 124 (non +p) now but I'm looking for better. Always trying to keep up with the newest ammo. It's getting better every day.

After correcting my typo, it got me thinking about barrel length. Originally, I was thinking the specs for the 147gr looked fine, but since my carry gun has a 3.27" barrel, it occurred to me that the 147gr wasn't going to have quite that velocity / energy.

I went back and purchased some of the DT +P 124gr and made sure it ran through all my firearms. As expected, not a problem with any of them (I tested in Sig P239, Beretta 92FS, and HK P2000SK).

So, I think I'm going to settle on DT +P 124gr 9mm for my carry guns.

-john

Sponsored Links