Black Hills .38+P load

This is a discussion on Black Hills .38+P load within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you read my other thread regarding my concern over recoil with a S&W 442 I am planning to buy, the following question will confirm ...

Thread: Black Hills .38+P load

Black Hills .38+P load

If you read my other thread regarding my concern over recoil with a S&W 442 I am planning to buy, the following question will confirm that I am likely nuts.

Anyway, I am looking for a carry load for the 442, and even though I am a little unsure of what kind of recoil I will experience with the +P loads in this gun, I like the ballistics potential of the Black Hills loading. I have had nothing but great experience with all Black Hills products I have used. Their load indicates 1050 muzzle velocity and 306 ft lbs of muzzle energy. Not sure if this is 2" barrel--good chance it is 4" barrel as that seems to be the published standard from most manufacturers. They use the Hornady 125 gr XTP bullet for this load.

Anyone else here use this load? From what I have read, a lot of folks like the Speer Gold Dot load and that shows 945 fps and 248 ft lbs from 4" barrel. The Black Hills load seems to beat this.
    Sorry--probably should have posted this in the defensive loads section.
    Last edited by paper killer; October 15th, 2007 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Should have posted in another place-sorry.

2. Remove Ads

When shooting my S&W Model 642 with +P 158 grain loads I find the recoil to be very sharp but manageable. It's not something I'd want to use for a long afternoon of plinking. It's easy to deliver rapid follow up shots with acceptable accuracy out to 15 yards.

Have used this load at the range two times now. It is super accurate and shoots to point of aim at 10 yards. Recoil is very manageable--about like a Glock 27.

Member Array pleasantguywhopacks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paper killer View Post
    If you read my other thread regarding my concern over recoil with a S&W 442 I am planning to buy, the following question will confirm that I am likely nuts.

Anyway, I am looking for a carry load for the 442, and even though I am a little unsure of what kind of recoil I will experience with the +P loads in this gun, I like the ballistics potential of the Black Hills loading. I have had nothing but great experience with all Black Hills products I have used. Their load indicates 1050 muzzle velocity and 306 ft lbs of muzzle energy. Not sure if this is 2" barrel--good chance it is 4" barrel as that seems to be the published standard from most manufacturers. They use the Hornady 125 gr XTP bullet for this load.

Anyone else here use this load? From what I have read, a lot of folks like the Speer Gold Dot load and that shows 945 fps and 248 ft lbs from 4" barrel. The Black Hills load seems to beat this.
    Sorry--probably should have posted this in the defensive loads section.
    I am very interested in this load for my older 649. It's a tad heavier than your 442 and should be a bit less snappy. Where did you order yours from?
    When seconds count, police are only minutes away!
    OFCC Patron
    Buckeye Firearms Assoc. supporter
    Life Member NRA

pleasantguy---I got my Black Hills at Cabelas. Our store did not have it in stock, but they ordered it in for me and I picked it up at the store. After having good experience with it, I had them order in five more boxes for me. 250 rounds should keep me stocked for awhile. This really is great ammo!

Member Array pleasantguywhopacks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paper killer View Post
    pleasantguy---I got my Black Hills at Cabelas. Our store did not have it in stock, but they ordered it in for me and I picked it up at the store. After having good experience with it, I had them order in five more boxes for me. 250 rounds should keep me stocked for awhile. This really is great ammo!
    I'll look on midway and see if they have it. Thanks!
    When seconds count, police are only minutes away!
    OFCC Patron
    Buckeye Firearms Assoc. supporter
    Life Member NRA

Links