How Practical

How Practical

This is a discussion on How Practical within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Obviously, any round will inflict damage and can cause death... But how many rounds should it normally take to neutralize a threat with a .380? ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Practical

How Practical

Obviously, any round will inflict damage and can cause death...

But how many rounds should it normally take to neutralize a threat with a .380? I've heard that a double tap to center mass with a .40 or .45 will take someone out fairly quick, but will a .380 have just as much affect?
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

according to most FBI and other 'official' reports i have read, the most important thing is shot placement, then penetration, then diameter.
    there are soooo many factors that go into this that one cannot say a .40 or .45 will take someone out easy but a .38 or 9mm will not. thats just silly.
    they have all been proven very effective.

Lead Moderator
    It varies greatly with any caliber. Shoot till the threat stops is one school of thought.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I woun't worry to much about what gun is the best, or the best "manstopper" ....PS: no handgun is a good manstopper" with the exception of the Goldengun and the phaser from Star Trek. I would more worry about am I trained to use it, and can I use it effectively.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Will the gun run?

Can you run it?

Train with the pistol until you can answer both of those questions to the affirmative and then train some more. Caliber is a secondary issue.
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    I think the old joke is "size may not matter, but you ain't gonna cross the ocean in a canoe!"

I think the goal is to find a gun that has the most power possible, that you can also conceal and shoot well. Somewhere in there is a happy medium for each person.

Senior Moderator
    Neutralize a threat.

Honestly, you wont know till ya get there. Every threat is different. One threat might require one shot, another threat might take the whole magazine.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

You want to stop the BG...

shoot them in the foot then they cannot chase you, but then you probably mean stop as in down on the ground... and then the last time I stubbed my big toe I was down after I danced for a while.
    Back on subject the .380 is actually rated quite high as a one shot stop round, right up there with the .38 special, but again as it has been said shot placement is critical.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    shoot them in the foot then they cannot chase you, but then you probably mean stop as in down on the ground... and then the last time I stubbed my big toe I was down after I danced for a while.
    Back on subject the .380 is actually rated quite high as a one shot stop round, right up there with the .38 special, but again as it has been said shot placement is critical.
    I like the foot thing, also, the knee cap

.380 is actually rated quite high as a one shot stop round, right up there with the .38 special
    Whoa! Not in the ballistic tables I've read. .380 falls way behind on penetration & energy. Marshall & Sandow, Fackler (FBI)...have I been reading the wrong stuff?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Shot placement means a lot; I have watched James Bond take out a guy with a machine gun three stories up down the street while running, and he does it with one hand! Obviously the .380 must do the job!
    I would carry one and feel secure, but I would remember that the shot must be very accurate if I have to take it.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Assistant Administrator
    I always tend to think - a poorly placed .45 is probably way less effective than a well placed coupla .380's!

True tho - even pipsqueek such as .22 if in right place can do the biz - but the odds are that usually bigger is better if - big IF - they are well placed. In the heat of an adrenalin rush and stress - who knows??

Lady luck will have much to do with it - oh, and Murphy!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I don't believe in magic calibers or rounds. I've seen someone take 7 rounds of .45 in the torso without a single critical hit and survive. I've seen someone take a single round of .22 and die. Many consider the .380 to be the smallest effective handgun round for self-defense. The smaller the round, the more critical bullet selection and shot placement become. The larger the round, the more margin for errors of judgement and placement. But asking how many rounds it takes can't be answered. It depends entirely on shot placement.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

I'm not tiger hunting in India, nor am I a police officer in Detroit. My potential trouble spot may occur in a WalMart parking lot, about 5-7 feet away from my 'person'...or in a gas station 3-5 feet from my open car door.
    In either case, I'm glad to have my Kimber .45 with me...but if I should only happen to have the P-3AT with me (I was in a hurry to just run up and get gas...), I know how to shoot it, it always goes bang, and at 3-7 feet, it's going to get someone's attention. After all, my reaction is going to be a reaction to something ALREADY suspected, it will be quick and violent...and a .380 will do just fine...BUT...i prefer the .45!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

No caliber is guaranteed to put a man down instantly unless it takes out the central nervous system (Spine or Medulla). Sure, shot placement being equal bigger is better (making it a bit easier to take out the CNS), but even a .22 can do it. If you count on your attacker to go down because you hit him COM twice with a big caliber, you might allow him to take you out with him. Back to your question: A single .380 will instantly incapacitate a man. Or it won't even bother him. Put as many on target as quickly as you can until you are no longer in danger.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links