What carry ammo 9mm??

This is a discussion on What carry ammo 9mm?? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been carrying 124gr +p speer Gold Dot personal protection, but I'm not happy with the accuracy from my Ruger. I'm shopping for new carry ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What carry ammo 9mm??

Member Array pleasantguywhopacks's Avatar

What carry ammo 9mm??

I've been carrying 124gr +p speer Gold Dot personal protection, but I'm not happy with the accuracy from my Ruger. I'm shopping for new carry ammo for my P89. What are you using?
    Opinions of 147gr defensive loads?
    When seconds count, police are only minutes away!
    OFCC Patron
    Buckeye Firearms Assoc. supporter
    Life Member NRA

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by pleasantguywhopacks View Post
    I've been carrying 124gr +p speer Gold Dot personal protection, but I'm not happy with the accuracy from my Ruger. I'm shopping for new carry ammo for my P89. What are you using?
    Opinions of 147gr defensive loads?
    Have you tried the 124 grain standard velocity loads?

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Have you tried the 124 grain standard velocity loads?
    No. I am leaning toward the heavier bullet weights because they tend to shoot point of aim from my particular gun. I played with the 124's more from a standpoint of that's what most of the defensive loads I have come across where I shop. At this point I'm going to take opinions and get several loads from that and do some serious shooting from a rest. Then do expansion tests from those.
    OFCC Patron
    Life Member NRA

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    If you really get down to the nitty gritty.... I personally avoid the 147 grain (personal choice) I have heard (hearsay) that they have some expanssion issues coming out of guns with real short barrells. Apparently, the 147 grain is more of a sub gun bullet. With the 9mm a 124 grain non plus p or even a +p to a 127 +p+ from a reliable manufacture. Winchester, Federal, Speer, corbon etc...are going to perform very well.

Bullet weights are fractional differences. Reliable Manufactures good R&D, powders and primers=history of constant reilibiliy thats what I generally will judge on, rather than a very small fractionable weight difference.

7000 grains=1 lb
    124 grains = 1.77 % of 1 lb approximately 1/3 if an ounce
    147 grains = 2.1% of 1 lb

However, in the end it only matters where (you the operator) placed the bullet.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

According to some research I have done the Federal 147 gr HST are top notch performers. Now If I can find some to test.
    OFCC Patron
    Life Member NRA

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by pleasantguywhopacks View Post
    According to some research I have done the Federal 147 gr HST are top notch performers. Now If I can find some to test.
    Well then go with it.

I would also look at what gun they came out of. Did they come out of a sub gun or a pistol?

Also, I saw that you said your not happy with the accuracy from the Speer Gold Dot. What distance are you shooting at? Where is it impacting? Are you postive its the ammo?
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Well then go with it.

I would also look at what gun they came out of. Did they come out of a sub gun or a pistol?

Also, I saw that you said your not happy with the accuracy from the Speer Gold Dot. What distance are you shooting at? Where is it impacting? Are you positive its the ammo?
    Fired from a XD9 service 4" barrel from what I read on the first test, the second was out of a Glock 17 and I'm not sure about that barrel length.
    http://frag.110mb.com/
    also
    http://www.btfh.net/shoot/bullet-test-3.html

As far as the gold dots at 15 yds they group left and a tad low using a traditional full bead sight picture. 147 gr shoot point of aim at this distance for me. The greater recoil raises the point of impact. Same principle applies to my .38 snubby shooting 158gr.

Now I know everyone is gonna scream you will never shoot more than 7 yds. I plan for 15 so I know 7 will be fine. For me personally 15 yds is a must.
    OFCC Patron
    Life Member NRA

The best proven manstopper round is a Federal Hydrashock 124 grain load. This was from the book stopping power. They only counted 1 shot stops (didn't have to kill just end the perp from attacking) and the 124 grain hydrashock fared the best. I find they shoot extremely well from all of my nines (kahr mk9 and beretta 92fs)

Ranger 127 +p+; shoot great in my MP9c.

Quote Originally Posted by jpedone76 View Post
    Ranger 127 +p+; shoot great in my MP9c.
    I second that - I have a S&W M&P 9c and it loves the Winch. Ranger T 127gr +P+ rounds. Super accurate - plus it's got (in my opinion) the best hollow point bullet design out there - the old Black Talon bullet, just without the black Lubox coating. And with the +P+ velocity that 9mm round is a VERY powerful 9mm.
    I bought 3 boxes of the stuff - shot one, the other two are going to be kept as my carry ammo.

A carry 147 gr Gold dots JHPs. Largely due to data from these 2 sources. Just one factor was reliability of expansion(no problem from the short barrel). The light and fast rounds didn't expand well and tended to overpenetrate after 4 layers of denim. The 147s' deeper expansion cavity apparantly didn't plug up like the smaller rounds. Overall expansion and penetration were more consistent then the smaller rounds.

http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi-hwfe.pdf

http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs9.htm

This one isn't short-barrel data, but still maybe relevent.
    http://www.btammolabs.com/fackler/winchester_9mm.pdf
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Can of worms

I'm sure there wil be lots of good arguments and discussions here as usual when this comes up. I'll skip it all and tell what I picked and what works for me. There are plenty of folks who do as I do, and just as many that do the opposite.

Glock 19, 124gr Hydra Shok in gun, 124gr Gold Dot in spare mag.
    940 revolver, 124gr +p Gold Saber.
    PC9 carbine by Ruger, 124gr +P Gold Saber
    Ruger p85 and 89, 115gr Cor Bon +P
    P7M8, 124gr Hydra Shok, 124gr Gold Dot spares.
    H&K VP70, 124gr Hydra Shok

I usually only carry the P7 and Glock, sometimes the 940 as a BUG.

I carry the Winchester Ranger 147 grain (RA9T) and am very pleased with it.

Lightbulb Excellent Point!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Also, I saw that you said your not happy with the accuracy from the Speer Gold Dot. What distance are you shooting at? Where is it impacting? Are you postive its the ammo?
    Excellent point. As an instructor 99% of the time when I hear such a claim made against a quality handgun it's usually operator error. Hate to say that, but it's a fact. When I go shooting with friends (not playing the instructor role, just buddies hangin' out together) I hear that quite a bit and I'll often take the gun to see what the problem might be. When I drill the "x" for a whole mag I hand it back to my buddy with a sardonic quip: "Waaaail I DUNNO...but it ain't the gun....." lol And yes....they're still my friends....

As far as ammo, when it comes to conventional ammo, I really like the Winchester 124gr +P. It cycles thru my Sig P226 and is very accurate, albeit LOUD. Sounds more like a 45 than a 9mm. However it's not what I carry. I favor here in the deep south....the MagSafe. I know a lot of folks take issue with that, but it's MY decision. The reason it's region specific is that I'm talking very light outerwear for penetration.

If it were to get unseasonably cold down here or if I were to travel to a colder climate (where reciprocity is the rule) I'd shift to a CorBon 115gr +P or to the Winchester 124gr. Possibly a Gold Dot 124+P. I really don't like heavy rounds from a 9mm.
    Last edited by ExSoldier; October 25th, 2007 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Add detail on subject matter
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Hopefully I can find some 147gr Federal HST's and put this quandary to bed.
    I knew this would stir up opinion, but look at all the fun we are having.
    OFCC Patron
    Life Member NRA

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links