P-1 (p-38) ammo

This is a discussion on P-1 (p-38) ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently bought a German P-1(P-38) naturally it is 9mm. I know they are only supposed to fire 115 grain ball non +P cause the ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Wunderneun

Thread: P-1 (p-38) ammo

P-1 (p-38) ammo

I recently bought a German P-1(P-38) naturally it is 9mm. I know they are only supposed to fire 115 grain ball non +P cause the frame is alloy & can crack under high pressure. My weapon has the steel insert in the frame for support. If anyone has knowledge or experience on anything besides 115 gr. ball I would like to know. I believe frangible ammo is usually +P. I usually carry a .45 pre 2 kimber but I wouldn't mind carrying my P-1 once in a while. It's reliable!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Hi Christn,
    I've managed to reliably feed only ball ammo out of my P1; anything else wouldn't feed right, even after changing mags and making the feed ramp so shiny I could see myself in it. I use it as a fun vintage plinker, though I was considering using it as a carry gun option "just because." I couldn't make it feed hollowpoints reliably, so I scrapped that idea.

"Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Shot lots of Remington JHP out of the ones we had.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

If it won't shoot JHP, how about EFMJ?
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

Armoredman I was wondering about EFMJ but I believe it only comes in +P which might be hard on my alloy frame cause their known to crack from high pressures on P-1 (p-38) I don't know??? Thanks for your reply.

Betty I sure enjoy looking at your german iron!!

I've run Hornady TAP 124 gr. JHP and 115 grain Remington/UMC JHP through a P1 with no problems. Also Speer Gold Dot 115 grain. I had a little trouble with Remington 115 ball at first. P1s don't seem to like short-length loads, I think, because of the rough trip the round seems to have to make from the magazine to the barrel. Let's face it, a P1 is simply a German Federal Police version of the old P38, and the P38 was designed to run ball. Deviate too much from the ball profile and feed one a bullet shape it doesn't like and it's likely to give trouble. I wouldn't think the magazine springs would be strong enough for 147 grain ammo, but I've never tried that. P1's are great little shooters, and accurate.

Guard dog 9mm Federal Premium Ammunition - Handgun 105 grain round would that work?

Does yours even feed HP a lot of the mil guns were not made for HP and may not feed thus guardog no HP tip

Winchester USA Ammo 9mm Luger 115 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point
    50 round box - 9mm Luger Speer Gold Dot 115 Grain Hollow Point LE Ammo - 53614 | SGAmmo.com
    Defensive 9mm Ammo For Sale - 115 gr JHP - Federal Classic Personal Defense Ammunition In Stock

Maybe buy a few boxs see what works?
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I have several P-1's and shoot Winchester Ranger 147 hp reliably the only hp it won't shoot well is the Remington 115 hp. Stove pipes that one. When I carry it (occaisionally) it is with the 147 hp rounds.
    The folks that have trouble were probably shooting ammo that was too short. That was the issue with the Remingtom ammo.
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

Actually, realize that your P1/P38 was designed to run 124gr loads at a fairly respectable velocity.

So, you aren't limited to 115gr.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#0002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

"Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    Did you get a court order to dig this one up?

RETSUPT99 likes this.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

I bought a P-1 several months ago. It handles 115 and 124 gr. FMJ quite well, and had no problems feeding 115 gr JHP (Federal Classic "9BP").
    Mine had a steel pin inserted in the alloy frame, which is supposed to mitigate the chances of a cracked frame after many rounds.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    Just to set things straight, it'a a P1 or a P.38. There is no dash and there is a decimal separating the 'P' and the '38' if speaking of one of those. Same with just about any German or Austrian military weapon. IE, StG.58, K.98k, etc.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

Links