Winchester white box power

This is a discussion on Winchester white box power within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Think I'm ok shooting WWB for self defense in my 5" government .45? Box says target hunting self defense. Think it's up to snuff for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winchester white box power

Winchester white box power

Think I'm ok shooting WWB for self defense in my 5" government .45? Box says target hunting self defense. Think it's up to snuff for self defense? I have not seen any ballistics on it. Usually I carry "hydra shock" Just want to know.

2. Remove Ads

1943 - 2009
    Most, if not all, of the big-name trainers & gun writers recommend against the use of FMJ (AKA "Ball") ammo for self defense with the .45 ACP, due to over-penetration.

You probably should stick with Hydra-Shoks.

Stay safe.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

I'm using 180 grain JHP WWB .40 S&W for a defensive load right now. Of course I'm not actually carrying that gun yet, but I will be soon.

I think of it this way. I know there's better ammunition and I plan to get some ASAP. However, this is what I could find that was immediately available for purchase and it was the best choice I could grab off the shelf.

It's like using a SAA for personal defense. You could do better, but you could do a whole lot worse.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    Winchester makes a "personal protection" line of white box ammo that is JHP. It is a 230gr JHP at 880fps muzzle velocity.

I bought a box of it for function testing in my 1911. I have not compared the numbers to that of the "premium" defensive ammo.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Do a search in the 'test Bed' section of www.stoppingpower.net believe the 230 white box JHP was tested about a year ago. Did just fine if I remember right.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Assistant Administrator
    Yep - the JHP version is from all I have gleaned - reliable and adequate - but not run any serious tests on it myself.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I was looking at the velocity numers a little while ago, and they matched up pretty good to the Speer with which I was comparing it. The other issue of concern would be bullet design/performance. If it is the same bullet as on some of their other defensive ammo it should be a good value product.

If it functions well in my 1911 it is what I will keep in stock for it and use if I ever carry it. I'll probably stick with my current loadings for 9mm and .40 though.
    Shooters' Legacy

i tested 9mm winchester wwb 147 and 115 gr. They both did pretty good.

http://www.btfh.net/shoot/bullet-test-1.html
    Last edited by the-fly; April 9th, 2006 at 11:36 PM.

sm
    Reliabilty is paramount to shot placement.

Ammo MUST run in your gun - period.

IIRC Clint Smith and others do carry FMJ/Ball ammo.

WWB has tested and proven to be consistent to ME in MY guns. In the JHP loads - they mirror, the STHP in not only ogive and such, in chrono and in " shoot dirt / shoot critters" tests I have conducted.

I test a minimium of rds to test for reliabilty of ammo and mags in my CCW and other serious needs. Once done, I have a variety of loading I can use if caught out and need to re- supply.

I'm going for don't be where trouble is. If trouble finds me, and I am in immediate danger...I use what I use.

I have and do carry FMJ/ Ball on purpose, carry spare mags of FMJ/ Ball on purpose. I have tested vehicles [ shooting into and out of ] windshields , doors, trunks to up front...etc.

Don't have problem with 200 gr SWC for a 1911 either .

I figure if the gun runs with ammo, it is up to ME not the gun, platform, caliber, or phase of the moon. I damn sure will accept any Luck that may come my way.

I quit worrying about a lot of stuff some time ago, BA/UU/ R and don't be where trouble is - know how to survive if trouble finds you.

Yes the WWB FMJ will take down a #110 rabid dog at 3yds. Tueller Drills practiced come in handy...live "Tueller's" do raise the heart rate a bit more than teddy's tho'.

edit

Just checked a 1911 and another CCW, I had Fiocchi hard ball in both the .45 ACP and 9mm , 230 gr and 115 gr respectfully. *shrug* had to look.
    Use Enough Gun

I've seen some personal tests done with 9mm WWB hollow points. The rounds penetrate and expand just as well (if not better) as the "premium" brands, they just don't look quite as pretty after expanding.

Either way, I know that in my Glock 19, WWB 9mm hollow points go BANG everytime without a jam.
    Proud member of the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy:
    http://www.xanga.com/jaltered

Ive never Seen WWB in a hollowpoint only one i seem to get around here are FMJ's

I sometimes alternate the ammo in my autos (HP, Ball, Hp, ball, etc.) I found that it works best for me in that manner, unless I find a load that I'm totally comfy with. Whether it's a 230gr FMJ or a 180gr Hp or anything else for that mater, I don't think I'd want to be on the recieving end. I think it comes down to some pre-planning on our part on which type of load we're carrying, due to the area we're going into

Box says target hunting self defense.
    What part of the box are you looking at. IIRC they list the different uses on the bottom (a deerhead for hunting, a pistol for self defense, and crosshairs with a three round group for target), but the side of the box (where the flap is) has a graphic that corresponds with one of the uses. I cant swear to it because I normally get blazer brass or magtech for my .45s.

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Ive never Seen WWB in a hollowpoint only one i seem to get around here are FMJ's
    I thought expanding ammo was a no no there. Maybe I have bad info.
    Shooters' Legacy

Wally Word is also selling Remington Valu packs 100 rounds of 230 JHP Works good in all of my 45 and should do the job on other end. I now have the same round for practice and SD I know it will feed and fire and were it will shoot. Isn't that what we want.
    1990, 1992 Colt Mustang 1941 Colt USGI 1951 Colt Commander 9MM
    1972 Colt Combat Commander 1994,1997 Colt Officer ACPs 2001 Colt LTW Commander 2005 Colt Defender 2007 Dan Wesson
    early Detonics come visit http://www.americanclassic1911forum.com or www.bersachat.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links