Federal Premium Choices

This is a discussion on Federal Premium Choices within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking at some Federal Tactical HST ammo or some Federal Tactical Bonded Ammo, that I have available to me. It will be for ...

Thread: Federal Premium Choices

Federal Premium Choices

I am looking at some Federal Tactical HST ammo or some Federal Tactical Bonded Ammo, that I have available to me. It will be for both 9mm and 45acp. I am looking for opinions and experience with either and any recommendations members can offer?
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

2. Remove Ads

Federal

I had some "experience" testing the 155gr .40 in wet newspaper. Darned impressive round. I have a stockpile of Quick Shok in my .40 right now, but that's drying up and I plan on switching to the HST. It's Gold Dot but with a regular copper jacket instead of a plated one. The jacket has a deep cannelure to lock core and jacket together instead. IIRC someone here has a pic of one as their avatar, looks like a flower. Sorry, it's late....long day, don't remember who.

As for the Bonded tactical, the local S.O. uses it in 180gr .40 with no complaints. Worked in the latest shooting they had which was on a guy in the open, no cover, glass, car door, etc. They seem happy with it. Deputy friend has some in .45 that I plan on testing if I can talk her out of a few rounds. As of now it's pistol team ammo, the .45 isn't approved for duty for them.

Normally my preference is for expanding JHP and I don't mind a bit of fragmentation or if a few bits of jacket break off. The HST just had such big expansion and impressive performance I figured I would give it a try in one of my CCWs when I replace my old ammo. Based on my opinion and unscientific testing I'd pick the HST since you asked.

BTW, I was working at the Speedway FD the day of the crash, but I was on the opposite side between turn 1 and 2.
    Last edited by Superhouse 15; October 31st, 2007 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Hx

for what it is worth for some reason hst is less expensive then their hydro shock. I just paid 23 for 50 in .45 caliber(http://ammunitiontogo.com/)

Member Array pleasantguywhopacks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by turbo93 View Post
    for what it is worth for some reason hst is less expensive then their hydro shock. I just paid 23 for 50 in .45 caliber(http://ammunitiontogo.com/)
    HST market is to LEA's only. The Hydo's are civilian marketed and they fetch a premium because they can. It's a marketing scam...call them a cool name and box them in 20's and slap on a price that will make you think they are the cats be-hind in defense ammo!

I shot hst's today in both my Ruger 9mm and XD .45. I'm impressed with their accuracy. I plan on shooing a few in expansion test next week.
    When seconds count, police are only minutes away!
    OFCC Patron
    Buckeye Firearms Assoc. supporter
    Life Member NRA

its my understanding that the federal tactical bonded is for LEA as well.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

I just bought some Federal HST .45ACP 230gr +P. Ammo-to-go has it for about $20 per 50rnds. Delivery was prompt, I'll buy from them again. I function tested 50rnds in my 1911, and cycled out the 230gr+P Golden Sabers I had been carrying. I observed similar accuracy and recoil from each. Although the GS had a huge flash and the HST exhibited very little. I picked this ammo up after reading it's recommendation on Tactical Forums. Good luck in your quest.

-RD62

I like HydraShoks, although I havn't tried HST yet. Guess I'll have to give them a try.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I have both the Federal HST Tactical and the Bonded. If one is carrying a lot inside of a car, do you think I should be carrying the bonded ammo over the non bonded - for such things as windshields?

HST in 45 and 40 flavor

Have used HST 230's in my Taurus PT145 and in the xd40sc, 165 HST as well as my 40 Smith SW40ve. Flawless in both guns

I've got HSTs in my 1911 and in my bedside Sig .40 as well. They function reliably in both my guns, plenty accurate - reasonably priced and new technology. I couldn't see any reason to choose something else.

Austin

I started shooting 180 gr JHP in my Sig Pro and just liked the way it handled. I've tried other weights but I guess I just like the weight of the 180 gr. Follow up shots are quick and easy for me so I'm going to stick with it. Not much logic there but it works for me.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Links