There is Power in Powerball

This is a discussion on There is Power in Powerball within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; PX9154LP.jpg This is my Springfield 1911A1 Loaded, which I place my trust in everyday to make sure I'll get home to my family. I have ...

Thread: There is Power in Powerball

There is Power in Powerball

PX9154LP.jpg
    This is my Springfield 1911A1 Loaded, which I place my trust in everyday to make sure I'll get home to my family. I have put everything but the sink down this gun. And tested bullet after bullet.
    In my S&W MP .45 I was getting some jams. That gun is now gone. But it would feed powerball well. Both my XD and my Glock 21 will eat almost anything as far as hollow points go. But if your weapon is there to maybe save your life or a family members, you want 100% feed. Thats why I am a big fan of POWERBALL AMMO. I have fired it throw a windshield into clay,and had it go throw the windshield and expand to almost a half dollar inside the clay in one piece. I have put it into a old chevy door of a junk car, and had someone been seeking cover behind that door they would have been a hurting unit. And the most fun ever was shooting gaint punpkins. The round is awesome, and it feeds like roundball. Not only does it feed well, but it will not get clogged up by a thick jacket as some hollow points are said to do. You get the depth you need and a bullet that will expand with awesome power. And NO jams...
    Not all my GI 1911s will feed hollow points everytime, but they all feed powerball 100% of the time. And a gun fight is no place for a jammed gun unless it's the other guy.....If someone knows of a better round, with better feeding and will expand in the target. Please let me know....
    PLEASE Carry as often as possible .The Life you save may be MINE.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    A cartridge design that is gaining some momentum and enthusiasum along these same lines, is the Federal Expanding Full Metal Jacket (EFMJ). It gives some of the same feeding characteristics as straight ball, but also with good expansion or is the correct term emplossion ( how do you spell that word?).

I like picking cartridges from big manufactures that have been making things for a while and make a cartridge that many Law Enforcement Agencies use. Just for some liability concerns. Federal Ammuntion is wide spread known among the law enforcement community, and has a very reliable reputation.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

+1 for Powerball. It is the only round my wife and I carry in her 9 and my .40 and .45.
    CCWINNC

HK P2000 .40SW
    Para Ord Tac 4 .45acp
    XD 9 Service
    XD 9 SC
    Taurus 651 .357 mag

When it gets cheaper than HST, Ranger Talon or Black Hills 50 round boxes, I'll be interested.

Till then, yawn.

VIP Member
    .45acp powerballs are some kind of powerful

After shooting some critters (hogs) with Power Ball we found them to lack penetration. To light, going fast and rapid expansion causes this.
    Ken Forbus Owner of FIREARMZ
    FIREARMZ FORUM

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar

not for me

Powerball is the only round I’ve had consistent misfires with. Box of 20 with 2 that did not go bang in 45 ACP. I like the idea of the Federal FMJ expanding but they are hard to get at least in my area.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

I like Federal HydraShoks and Remington Golden Sabers. Both feed 100% in my guns, and they are a proven round. I'm not so sure about Powerball. Cost isn't a factor that I use since any life is easily worth the cost of the ammo to make sure it works when needed.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

We've shot Powerball at a variety of common obstacles that you might encounter in everyday life like glass, wallboard, plywood,etc. and found that virtually anything causes deflection from intended point of impact. Furthermore, almost anything causes separation of the jacket from the core. Even at short distance (under five feet), there is little chance of hitting the exact point of aim if anything gets in the way so although others may disagree, I don't feel Powerball is suitable as a defensive round.

Quote Originally Posted by FIREARMZ View Post
    After shooting some critters (hogs) with Power Ball we found them to lack penetration. To light, going fast and rapid expansion causes this.
    Lack of penetration? What were you shooting at?

In my own tests, 45 auto PowRball penetratres 14" in 10% ballistic gelatin. Same as our 230 JHP and DPX load.

Mike Shovel
    Sales manager
    COR-BON/Glaser
    Mike Shovel
    National Sales Manager
    COR-BON/Glaser
    www.CORBON.com

We were shooting live hogs, take that ballistic gelatinand add some bones and other tissues.
    Ken Forbus Owner of FIREARMZ
    FIREARMZ FORUM

Is Powerball +P? My 3" 45 doesn't like +P!

in my 9mm

I like the Federal 9BP 115 grain.
    Also like the Hydra-Shock 124 grain and HST same weight.

I have been meaning to try some Powerball.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    Is Powerball +P? My 3" 45 doesn't like +P!
    Yes, 45 auto PowRball is rated as +P
    Mike Shovel
    National Sales Manager
    COR-BON/Glaser
    www.CORBON.com

Powerball 9mm had less penetration in tests I did than other conventional hollow points.....BUT the Corbon DPX is my favorite round in my 9mm PM9. Awesome performer, and significantly less recoil. DPX is also my favorite for .45 ACP.

Good work Mike (Shovel)!!

Links