What does a 45 ACP round really look like?

This is a discussion on What does a 45 ACP round really look like? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Iíve been searching for the ďrealĒ actual dimensions and tolerances for a 45 ACP FMJ bullet and casing. Everything Iíve found on the net either ...

Thread: What does a 45 ACP round really look like?

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar

What does a 45 ACP round really look like?

Iíve been searching for the ďrealĒ actual dimensions and tolerances for a 45 ACP FMJ bullet and casing. Everything Iíve found on the net either leaves off some dimensions, lacks the appropriate dimension tolerances, or is in conflict with other information Iíve already found. Iím starting to think that (1) the manufactures do not want to share this information or (2) no two rounds by different manufactures are actually the same. Which might explain a lot of other ongoing issues we have all seen or heard about. In any case if you know where the ďRealĒ definitive information can be found I would appreciate it. Iíve even done a search in the patent history with little success.

Thanks;
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    Iíve been searching for the ďrealĒ actual dimensions and tolerances for a 45 ACP FMJ bullet and casing. Everything Iíve found on the net either leaves off some dimensions, lacks the appropriate dimension tolerances, or is in conflict with other information Iíve already found.
    It's no big secret. Any quality reloading manual will have the dimensions listed. This one happens to be from the Hornady manual since it was the closest at hand.

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar

not enough info

Good except without the tolerances I need and nobody could repeat the crimp relief at the extractor end of the cartridge with out some dimensions there as well.

Iím a design engineer by trade so guess Iím just a bit anal about getting it right. Close donít count.

Thanks for trying tho I do appreciate your efforts.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

VIP Member
    This site may have additional info to include extractor groove.

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/histor...ge_History.htm

Administrator

This one might not be a huge help but, it's kinda neat so I'll put it here anyway.

AMH
    Just get a micrometer and a round, measure it yourself. Being an engineer I am sure you have one.
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    Good except without the tolerances I need and nobody could repeat the crimp relief at the extractor end of the cartridge with out some dimensions there as well.
    Just what exactly what kind of info are you needing and in what regard?
    "Crimp relief at the extractor end..."? You'll have to clarify what you are talking about. Crimp is not at the extractor end. Crimp is at the mouth. In a .45 ACP it is usually a tapered crimp because the case headspaces on the mouth. A rolled crimp works OK in a revolver but a heavy rolled crimp removes the edge of the mouth so the case can't headspace properly. That's why there's the listing for the max case length and trim length.

Links