What to do with misfires?

This is a discussion on What to do with misfires? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Seems like there's a glaringly obvious answer to this one, maybe I'm just being thick. You're at the range. Round fails to fire. After following ...

Thread: What to do with misfires?

Seems like there's a glaringly obvious answer to this one, maybe I'm just being thick.

You're at the range. Round fails to fire. After following all the procedures for a misfire (leaving it pointed downrange, waiting a slow 10 count, etc.) and clearing the round from the chamber, what do you do next? I assume you don't just leave the misfire on the range floor like spent brass. What is the correct and safe disposal method for a misfired round?

Additionally, if you reload, is there anyway to reuse the casing for a misfired round safely?

Don't know about reloading, but I'd let the round sit on the ground for a few minutes anyway before I put it in my hand. To dispose of it drop it in a bucket of WD40 overnight. The oil will penetrate and get to the powder. I suppose you could pull the bullet out with pliers after this, and clean up the casing.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Try and shoot it again first

M2
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    Try and shoot it again first
    I blow the dirt off it first, but this is what I do as well...

Cheers! M2

I always try to shoot it a second time before using a bullet puller on it. A dab of WD40 in the case on the primer makes sure it will not go bang after sitting around a couple of days.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

WD40

I disagree about the WD40 thing. At the gunshop this came up so we submerged assorted rounds in WD40, Hoppes #9, and salt water from an hour to 5 weeks. The almost all the centerfires were still live after 5 weeks, and even a few of the rimfires fired. We used lead, FMJ range ammo, premium JHP, and assorted reloads of unknown vintage as well as LR and mag 22s. There was also a posting about this on the old Box O Truth recently with similar results.

At the range where I work, we have a steel can with a lid for duds. Our brass and lead salvage guy takes them, how he disposes I have no idea. My personal opinion is that it's not worth the hassle and or risk to salvage the components from one or two rounds. We have in the past given old bulk ammo to the local bomb squad to blow up. Their bunker is at the local landfill and I've done FD standby for it once or twice. After seeing the landfill operation too, I don't have a problem tossing the occasional loose round from around the house into the trash.

Try to shoot it a few more times...if it still doesn't work, put it in the "dud" can. If there is no dud can at your range, give it to them and say "this one's a dud. you need to get a can for these." If you're shooting off a range and trying it a few more times doesn't work, you could take it home and deal with it. If you are reloading and have a misfire, you can pull the bullet and dispose of the powder. Once all you have is brass and primer, you can put some WD-40 inside the case on the primer and let it soak for a bit before depriming.

Austin

Since I didn't see one at the range I frequent, a "dud" can never occurred to me. Going to have to talk to the Range Officer next time I'm there.

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    I disagree about the WD40 thing. At the gunshop this came up so we submerged assorted rounds in WD40, Hoppes #9, and salt water from an hour to 5 weeks. The almost all the centerfires were still live after 5 weeks, and even a few of the rimfires fired. We used lead, FMJ range ammo, premium JHP, and assorted reloads of unknown vintage as well as LR and mag 22s. There was also a posting about this on the old Box O Truth recently with similar results.
    Good to have actual test data rather than long-handed down myths. I have to admit, I've never had a round fail to fire, even with well over 10 or 20,000 .22 rounds sent downrange. Now that I have conflicting data, I'll have to soak a few rounds myself before my next trip to the range. Yeah, trying to shoot it again wouldn't hurt.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

i burn them in my next brush pile.

Last edited by Superhouse 15; November 11th, 2007 at 10:24 PM. Reason: link + slow brain.

When we have misfires at the range we try to reshoot them again. If they do not go off the second time our rangemaster will log the lot number of the ammo and then he will dig a hole push the bullet into the dirt and then cover the hole wth the remaing dirt.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    We have a nice fishing lake right next to our ranges. The duds get deep sixed as far out in the fishing hole as possible.

Sponsored Links