Interesting find

This is a discussion on Interesting find within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So i was in Glamis California, aka the Sand Dunes and i'm doing my morning run (running in the thick sand is quite the work ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting find

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar

Interesting find

So i was in Glamis California, aka the Sand Dunes and i'm doing my morning run (running in the thick sand is quite the work out) and i come across somthing strange. A cassing (the biggest i've ever seen) marked 20mm m21a1 LC 52. So it's obviously a 20mm, but I was just curious what sort of gun fires this big girl. I've googled it, but to no avial. I can only imagine what sort of purpose there was to firing this thing off in the middle of the desert.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

2. Remove Ads

Off the top of my head I am guessing aircraft. That wouldn't be anywhere near a military gunnery range would it?

Edit: just did a little quick on line search. That is just south of the Chocolate Mountain naval gunnery range. That probably was fired by an F/A-18.
    Last edited by mcp1810; November 11th, 2007 at 11:25 PM. Reason: add'l info added
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Funny you should mention it, we did see many military aircraft overhead and a helicopter buzzed us maybe at 75 feet. Was so low the gunner acutally waved back.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

In a place you've only dreamed of where your soul is always free...
    Woman I used to work with brought in a slug she dug out of the dirt in her corral. She heard a thump and saw a puff of dust while she was exercising one of her horses. Says the slug was pointing nearly straight up/down and the rear was only about 1" underground, so I'm guessing this thing was in free-fall. The standard ruler we had at the office read about 3/4" diameter and about 2 1/4" long. To this day I have no idea where it came from.
    Law without force is impotent.
    Blaise Pascal

interesting. very interesting. I feel if an aircraft shot this bullet they would have shot more than one. I didn't observe the area to carfully to inspect for more, but this one was obvious, and ontop of the sand. With minimal wind blow that few days i think i would have spotted some more.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SilenceDoGood View Post
    interesting. very interesting. I feel if an aircraft shot this bullet they would have shot more than one. I didn't observe the area to carfully to inspect for more, but this one was obvious, and ontop of the sand. With minimal wind blow that few days i think i would have spotted some more.
    Depends on the altitude and speed of the plane that shot the rounds, those variables will greatly effect the fall of the casing.

Most US ground vehicles with heavy machine guns are usually shooting .50s or 25mm, not 20mm.

I guess depending on winds and altitude when they did the gun run the brass may scatter a bit. I would think they would try to lay stuff out so nothing was falling outside the impact area. I guess it could also have hung up somewhere on the aircraft and just fell free as they were turning for another pass.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

My google results suggest an anti aircraft weapon from the WWII era.scroll about half way down the page the one titled "Experemental US 20mm T-24 TP Round" and that is pretty much it. I mean looks like it forsure.

JD
    Administrator
    Yeah, it's probably older, I don't know about WWII, unless it was anti air....

Vietnam era maybe, but alot of California used to be bombing range at one time, and you can find some really old stuff out there.

We once found a really old bomb, something like a WWII era 500 lbs bomb on a range sweep.

The thing is, I don't think Glamis is very close to a bombrange/shooting range. Perhaps it was at one time. More google research will tell that tale. I'll post my findings.

Struck out on a google search but someone at this site might know:
    http://cartridgecollectors.org/
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

~Benjamin Franklin

It was a common military round for gunships, AC-119K, C-130 in differant configurations. Other aircraft also used it at differant times. These 2 aircraft used it it as a gatling gun that could throw a lot of lead per minute, I seem to remember around 2400 rounds per minute. Excellent round and your find was probably dropped by someone that had it.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

All i can say, is i wouldn't want to get shot by this guy. It is huge. Thanks for satisfying my curiosity gpsxplr.

JD
    Administrator
    Yeah, I wouldn't want to get hit with one either, I've seen what 25mm HE will do...

To put it into perspective:

I'm not sure if these are 20s or 25s, but you can atleast get a good idea of the oerall size of the rounds.

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    you sure the case stamp didn't read "m24a1"? LC 52 stands for Lake City who makes most military brass, lot # 52. My guess is it came off one of these babies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links