Defensive Carry banner

Difference between calibers?

5K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  mcp1810 
#1 ·
Does anyone have a site to go to in order to see the difference between 9mm vs 45 as well as all the other calibers such as .40, .38, 10mm etc?

THanks.

#2 ·
Well, if you do a search within this message forum you will come up with multiple threads.

If you search for "9mm vs 45" or anything of the sorts while using google, you will find multiple websites as well.

Long story short, they all poke holes roughly the same size; find which one you like more, and learn to poke holes accurately.

#4 ·
Are you looking for an actual measurable size difference or the difference in effectiveness when fired at a target? Size differences and comparisons, like Tros said, can be found on the makers' websites. Effectiveness is the big debate and a search on this site will turn up several threads with discussions.

#6 ·
I do not have a website, but I can recommend a book that covers exactly what you are asking about. The book is Cartridges of the World. A new edition is out, and you can find it at Borders or Barnes&Noble; of course, there is Amazon too. The book is a great way to read up on all types of cartridges from the blackpowder era to the present. Studying it is how I learned to ID many obscure cartridges, especially when I worked in a gun store. It also explains the differences in all the modern ones. It will tell you everything you need to know to be well-versed in the subject of cartridges. Price is around $30. Happy reading.

#9 ·
Off topic: One day at our local IDPA match one of our members asked the Match director the difference between a 40 and a 45. The answer was:

"5"

:rofl:

We have a bunch of smart alecs down here in SoFla. Ex and myself are the serious ones!

#11 ·
I have HEARD and READ that some ER workers, and at least one coroner have stated that they cannot determine any difference in the tissue damage between various cartridges, for instance a 9mm or .45.

I think that the ammunition has more to do with tissue damage than caliber. However, it would seem that the one that starts out with the largest bullet would punch the biggest hole. But those who work with such actual wounds say otherwise from what I have read and heard.

Jerry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.