223 ?

223 ?

This is a discussion on 223 ? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; why is 7.62x39 ammo so much cheaper than .223, what i really mean i guess is why is .223 ammo so expensive it seems that ...

Thread: 223 ?

223 ?

why is 7.62x39 ammo so much cheaper than .223, what i really mean i guess is why is .223 ammo so expensive it seems that way to me anyhow. does anyone know of a decent .223 brand of ammo that does not cost a lot.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Assistant Administrator
    My take is partly that 7.62x39 is for most part readily available (or was!) in steel cased form as a cheap import. If you wanted brass versions I expect you'd pay way more.

Other thing is Lake City for example as a big supplier to mil - and .223 as the 5.56x45 NATO round is being burned up bigtime in the sandbox - produces regular brass cased ammo. Material costs also are playing a part.

So supply considerations can come into play plus costs of actual cartridge construct. I haven't checked on Wolf .223 for ages but IIRC it was pretty much same price as the 7.62x39, and could well be more now.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I just bought Wolf .223 for a rifle class, and it was $249 for 1k. A year ago I got brass .223 for $180/1k and that was a deal, I think it is around $300-350/1k now for brass .223 and that is for 55grain FMJ ammo, the really good stuff is quite a bit more.

SY

I was told that the .223 and the .40 was very popular in the war zones in Iraq, Afganistain and the likes that would explain why 17.97 a box for WWB has esculated to 21.97.
    "We are Texas Rangers sent by the Governor Himself and our jurisdiction is anywhere we happen to be." Agustus McCrae

Got A Problem? The Odds Aganist You? Call The Equalizer 212-555-4200

NRA Member
    S&W M&P .40, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 22

huh?? .40S&W is popular in SWA?? News to me....9mm or .45 I can believe, but not .40S&W.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

i was thinking of selling my mini14 and getting a yugo AK just so i could have cheaper ammo to use....any thoughts?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Metal prices are going up. China and India are industrializing. Lead is being used for batteries which is the major consumption over there as now more people can afford automobiles and scooters, which have lead-acid battery cells.

I seriously doubt the 40S&W is being widely used in the war. The claims of "well my CO says we can carry what we want cause I'm SF" is nothing but pure Internet BS.

Quote Originally Posted by stormbringerr View Post
    why is 7.62x39 ammo so much cheaper than .223, what i really mean i guess is why is .223 ammo so expensive it seems that way to me anyhow. does anyone know of a decent .223 brand of ammo that does not cost a lot.
    As to this, the 7.62x39 has been around since 1947 or there abouts whereas the .223 has been around since the early 1960's. There are more countries and more weapons in the world using 7.62x39 than .223/5.56x45.

Links